• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Si.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Think my frame's cracked :-(
  • kevster
    Free Member

Just given the bike a clean and spotted what looks like a crack along the line of the weld at the junction between the down tube and head tube. Will take some pics and upload for peoples opinions. Looks like I will be in the market for a new steel framed hardtail.

clunker

Get a frame builder to take a look they will tell you if it can/worth repairing.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

if its steel a repair should be possible

trail_rat
    Free Member

of course you have to ask if its a fatigue crack rather than an abuse crack – how far behind are the rest of the welds ?

kevster
    Free Member

The frame is circa 5/6 years old, and is an 853 Dialled PA. Its been ridden hard but I wouldn’t say harder than anyone else would this sort of bike. Will speak to Mike @ Dialled to see if he can do me a deal as truly loved the way the bike rode.

walleater

My 853PA went the same way. It was only spotted after I sold it to my boss LOL etc…. A few bucks and a powder coat(which he was going to get done anyway) and it’ll be as good as new. Knowing the abuse it got, I’d have probably folded most other frames though.

kevster
    Free Member

Who’s best to approach for a reweld and repaint and how much would it cost? Will I notice the rewelding after it’s painted and will it be as strong?

Interesting to hear you had the same problem walleater. Did you liaise with Dialled Bikes over the failure?

walleater

If the likes of Chas Roberts or Dave Yates aren’t local, your LBS might well know of a decent local frame builder who can do the repair. I’ve had an entire down tube brazed into a frame in my time! The repair shouldn’t be noticeable, or at least obvious.

As for liaising with Mike, I had my monies worth out of the frame, including a season of guiding in Whistler and beat the shi’ite out of it so it never occurred to me to contact him to be honest. My boss only contacted him to buy some new stickers for it.

scruff
    Free Member

Late night ?

Sorry to hear about your frame, Kev. Frame is well out of warranty, but I’ve sent you an e-mail setting out discounts on a replacement.

Didn’t realise you’d damaged your frame as well, Walleater.

So in total, that’s 6 Prince Albert failures since 2004 (3x520s and 3 x 853s – none of the current 725 versions), out of a total of around 700 frames sold.

kevster
    Free Member

Mike, thanks for the reply. Will read that in a minute. Didn’t expect you to cover it by warranty. The frame has done well as it’s been ridden pretty hard (like they should!) and others have said other bikes wouldn’t have stood up to it. Its done everything from XC to downhill in the Alps!

Would you still like me to get you some pictures Mike?

toys19
    Free Member

I’d like to see some piccies.

Yes Kev, please e-mail me pics.

kevster
    Free Member

OK, I will try and take some tonight.

Si
    Free Member

Woohoooo Im in a niche club…

Oh from experience and Mikes replacment efforts go way beyond the call of duty.

Cant fault him. Dialled through and through…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Think my frame's cracked :-(’ is closed to new replies.