• This topic has 50 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by tron.
Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Think I've turned my brand new carbon bar into a £100 ornament!
  • nickc

It's the wrong applications for the material

Really? I'll bet that'll come as a surprise to Easton, who've been making carbon bars for at least a decade or more….

🙄

But hey, some bloke on a forum says something that reinforces your prejudice, so that's so much more weighty an opinion isn't it?

Northwind

There was an article in one of the US mags a while back- I saw it linked from Pinkbike but I can't find it now- where an Easton engineer discussed the failure modes and strengths and weaknesses of their various bars and concluded that the least suitable material they use in bars is aluminium. He also commented that they'd tried to make an aluminium bar as strong as their carbon DH bar but couldn't make it come in under 500 grams. Though that was a couple of years old I think so both the carbon and alu bars have changed a little since.

epicyclo

Meanwhile many of us are riding around on rigid carbon forks….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    7hz
    Free Member

Tip I use – tighten up using the short end of the allen key, this makes it much harder to overtighten.

Also, I don't see the need to crank on the handlebars, I always am very gentle with everything to do with the handlebar (clamp, levers) and don't find it moves at all.

Do a search for Carbon bars on SDH – there's a recent thread on it with some input from an F1 Materials Technologist – if he says don't use carbon bars (and he does) I wouldn't. It's the wrong applications for the material and simply not worth the 50? gramme saving over a decent ali bar.

SDH = .southerndownhill.com? "You are not allowed to search for posts in this forum. Please login below or register an account with SDH."

What's the guys name? "F1 Materials Technologist", how much does he know about bike handlebars? Sounds like a 14 year old winding people up TBH.

tron
    Free Member

http://www.southerndownhill.com/index2.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=0&topic=112251.msg1005526

Reply #21.

I love how people will post "Oh yeah, they use it in X environment, so it'll be fine", normally something not even vaguely comparable to bike handlebar use due to completely different environmental, service and inspection factors. Then a person who actually who knows about it is instantly dismissed as probably being 14, and even if he isn't, not an expert in handlebars 😆

druidh
    Free Member

Easton Warranty on Aluminium bars = 5 years

Easton Warranty on Carbon bars?

Lifetime

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Get an aluminium bar and don't worry about mountain bike forums? Problem solved?

Martin.B
    Free Member

Easton Warranty on Aluminium bars = 5 years

Easton Warranty on Carbon bars? = Lifetime

Easton Warranty for overtightening = Zilch

7hz
    Free Member

I love how people will post "Oh yeah, they use it in X environment, so it'll be fine", normally something not even vaguely comparable to bike handlebar use due to completely different environmental, service and inspection factors. Then a person who actually who knows about it is instantly dismissed as probably being 14, and even if he isn't, not an expert in handlebars

I love how people quote other unknown posters on other internet forums with dodgy sounding credentials that rubbish a technology that is proven usable within the parameters of realism and expectation for over a decade and manufactured by very reputable manufacturers and used by a large number of people without problem, and back that up with a massive warranty.

Yes if you are throwing yourself down mountains then sometimes sh*t will happen, but usually there are mitigating factors such as previous crashes etc.

Don't kid yourself that aluminium bars are in any way shape or form fail-safe for this role.

_tom_
    Free Member

Meanwhile many of us are riding around on rigid carbon forks….

Yep, only on my road bike though (I think)!

I'll be honest and say that I clearly don't have a clue about the strength properties of carbon vs aluminium etc and that I just have in my mind that carbon = weak. If it requires near enough treading on eggshells to fit the component, it's not something I'd fancy on a bike that goes off jumps and stuff.

tron
    Free Member

I love how people quote other unknown posters on other internet forums

Even if the guy were some loon in his mum's attic, it doesn't negate that carbon fibre is rarely used in such a hostile environment as mountain biking.

I suspect the nature of carbon makes providing a lifetime warranty fairly low cost. Damage to carbon can often be invisible, and failures sudden, so very often the advice given is replace any carbon bits as soon as there's visible damage or after a big stack. That leaves a lot of carbon bits that are damaged to the point of uselessness, without being a warranty issue.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Think I've turned my brand new carbon bar into a £100 ornament!’ is closed to new replies.