Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Think I've broken the Air Compressor
  • granny_ring

Was given it recently so it’s not worth spending a lot on it but quite ironic as I’m now starting to try out running tubeless tyres.
    Anyhow, there was some sort of switch on the side (kill switch?)which I’ve somehow knocked off moving stuffing around in the cave.
    Assume it’s that that’s stopping it working?

Any clues?
    Cheers

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

That looks like the reset switch, to reset it if it’s tripped out.

If it’s not working after being pressed, the switch is probably goosed. Those two spade connectors will come off, should be easy enough to test without the switch to see if it’s otherwise ok.

twonks

Yes that is the thermal trip, that is normally set in and pops out when the motor trips on thermal overload.

Was the picture above taken when it wasn’t working, as the gauges show pressure in – are you sure it isn’t just waiting for you to use some before the pump comes on? 😆

And as a footnote, always remember to turn it off using the pressure switch knob, not the mains, as the pressure switch unloads the head and prevents it from trying to start against pressure as could happen if it was turned on at the wall.

granny_ring

Mate had it running the other week, pretty sure by using the red button which you pull up to start and down to stop, maybe?

You could be right twonks, pretty sure I plugged airline in and nothing.

granny_ring

That looks like the reset switch, to reset it if it’s tripped out.

If it’s not working after being pressed, the switch is probably goosed. Those two spade connectors will come off, should be easy enough to test without the switch to see if it’s otherwise ok.

Stupid comment now, but connect the two spade connectors together?

maccruiskeen

Stupid comment now, but connect the two spade connectors together?

Hold one in each hand and stand in a bucket of water 🙂

pretty sure I plugged airline in and nothing.

Try undoing the drain valve on the bottom of the tank. Theres often a valve on the outlet for the airline which if its shut off means the airline won’t operate. You’d be surprised how often ‘broken’ compressors are just ones that are already full of air

pretty sure by using the red button which you pull up to start and down to stop, maybe?

Yes – pulled up in ‘on’ pushed down in ‘off’ That overload switch should also be in – it pops out when the motor is overloaded and won’t go in (and stay in) again until things cool down. By passing it (by connecting the two spade connectors together) will tell you whether that switch is goosed but check everything with the tank empty, the motor won’t run if its full. Both those dials seem to be indicating theres air in there.

granny_ring

Cheers

granny_ring

Update……

Was the picture above taken when it wasn’t working, as the gauges show pressure in – are you sure it isn’t just waiting for you to use some before the pump comes on?

😳 Spot on….as I haven’t used it I had no idea that the gauge only gets about halfway around before shutting off!

Time to tackle those bastid tyres then…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Think I've broken the Air Compressor’ is closed to new replies.