Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Think I might give the news a rest for a bit…
  • yunki
    Free Member

Well…
    I apologise for going off on one, and maybe my first comment was clumsy (it made perfect sense in my head)

What I really can’t stand though, is being told to have some respect for the deceased
    Condescending grief athletics imho

lets call it quits though.. we all seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet

johndoh
    Free Member
    jimjam
    Free Member

Early reports say two men entered the church shouting “Daesh” before taking hostages then beheading a priest.

Probably militant atheists.

johndoh
    Free Member

😯

theotherjonv

Seems odd, I thought Daesh was a term that was specifically being used to name this bunch of nutters because they hate it; why call themselves by a name they loathe?

DezB
    Free Member

Apologies dez man no offence intended
    I just can’t be doing with the rush to be offended

One place I’ll never be offended is on the chat forum 🙂

steve-g
    Free Member

6 months ago I moved desks at work and now have a television directly above my desk with Sky News on constantly, thankfully with subtitles rather than sound, but it has definitely affected my mental well being.

It is a constant, never ending cycle of police shootings, terrorists, global warming, terrorists, pollution of the oceans, terrorists, child abusers, economic doom and gloom etc, punctuated with an occasional day off when a celebrity dies.

jimjam
    Free Member

theotherjonv

Seems odd, I thought Daesh was a term that was specifically being used to name this bunch of nutters because they hate it; why call themselves by a name they loathe?

IIRC the offense caused by the term is due to mispronunciation because of it’s similarity to some derogatory term or other. Like Toyota MR2 in France or something.

But I guess we better not jump to any conclusions.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

On the Bernie Ecclestone story, I don’t think we are looking for criminal masterminds here. Although my maths might be wrong.

The kidnappers have demanded the ransom, a record amount for an abduction in Brazil, be paid in pounds sterling and divided into four bags of cash

so. 28 million / 4 = 7 million. Let’s be generous and say all in £50 notes, so 140000 notes

50 pound note = 1.21 grams, times that by 140000 = 169400 grams, or 169.4kg

There you go buddy, treat yourself getting away with that – and that’s just one of the four bags

Alpha1653

Yunki,

I apologise for going off on one, and maybe my first comment was clumsy (it made perfect sense in my head)

Ok, looks like we’ve concluded we’re fighting the same argument on the same side here! I took your original comment to mean that you were blaming Muslims despite having absolutely no basis for it, when in fact you were trying to satirise that very same knee jerk reaction which, I agree, seems to be all too common at the moment. The best satire is subtle, yours was just a bit too subtle for some (me) to get. Apologies if you took offence to me saying you were coming across as a bit of a prick; it wasn’t a handwringing rush to be the first to be offended but rather an attempt to confront (what I thought to be) blatant rascism.

Friends again?!

DezB
    Free Member

..an attempt to confront (what I thought to be) blatant rascism.

From yunki? On STW? 😆

yunki
    Free Member

alpha – don’t worry about it 🙂

I’m very glad that you were confronting racism.. I was much more offended by your insinuation that I may have been drunk (I was actually very very drunk)

Alpha1653

Ahhh….I see why some people (those who know Yunki not to be a rascist) understood the satire of the original comment, whilst others (those didn’t know him to be quite the opposite or me) took it at face value. Internet strikes again!

ransos
    Free Member

Yunki’s point was made well. That’s exactly the angle news organisations go for until proven otherwise that Muslims weren’t involved and then it becomes a non story.

There’s some truth in that, I think. I note that the Japanese atrocity disappeared from the headlines with undue haste. I also note that where the victims of Islamist terrorism are Muslim (as is usually the case), the media response is little better than a shrug of the shoulders.

Alpha1653

Drunk?! I figured as much but deleted the comment in case you had some underlying problem about which I was unaware!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Ah ok. Personally I have never thought terrorism was legitimate or that reporting it as such legitimizes it, specially as it is so very clearly illegal. Obviously you think it does to an extent and now I understand your point.

On reflection I now understand colournoise’d point better, and I actually agree with it.

For example Lee Rigby’s murders are often referred to as terrorists when I think referring to them as simply murders, or even psychopaths, might be more appropriate. It would to an extent de-legitimize them, after all they weren’t fighting for anything. They were just murders who used an alleged cause to justify their need to kill someone.

BTW I thought Yunki’s point was brilliantly but brutally made. Too brutal for the sensitivities of STW imo.

DezB – Member

One place I’ll never be offended is on the chat forum

Well there’s a least one person on here who thinks the same as me.

Refuse to have a drink when I offer to buy you one and I might be offended. Call me a **** and I couldn’t give a monkeys.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

BTW I thought Yunki’s point was brilliantly but brutally made. Too brutal for the sensitivities of STW imo.

Not really. If anything it was just too on the nose.

We get it. You believe the media/STW/the bloke down the chippy has a bias towards assuming all acts of violence are perpetrated by a certain section of society.

yunki
    Free Member

oh I say!!

It’s quite a thrill for a mischievous scamp like my good self that you infer that I’m somefing of a brute

It’s made feel all giddy and queer like that time I had a sip of mother’s laudanum and tried on her bra whilst she nipped out to the fishmongers to get a plaice for daddy’s tea, and I couldn’t get it off again

fanks Ernesto 😳

wilburt
    Free Member

I’ve gone out and done a whole(for me) days work and theyve just worked it out..theres little hope really.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Oh you brute Yunki.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Think I might give the news a rest for a bit…’ is closed to new replies.