Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Think I might be getting into RC cars
  • spacemonkey

Well, on behalf of my 4yr old for now at least.

Looking at getting a Maisto Rock Crawler Extreme then waterproofing it and converting to LiPo.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N1lljlq7g4[/video]

Am hoping he’ll take to it due to slower speed and outdoor ruggedness, eg making obstacles from logs/rocks/gravel etc.

Anyone done anything similar? Any experiences of reliable/safe LiPo batts/charges etc?

Ta

twonks

Good choice for your son 😉

RC cars are rather cool, and a rock crawler or scale model seems to bring out a desire to ‘drive’ them properly rather than just hammer around like a loon everywhere.

I use Turnigy LiPos from Hobbyking and a Accucel 6 charger. (Personally I think the charger is most important so you can watch / notice if a cell is about to expire, together with balanced charging)

Seem to fit the bill and have never let me down or puffed up at all.

Store and charge in LiPo bags and all is well.

househusband

Yeah! I got into crawling a couple of years ago after buying a Venom Creeper kit. Long run times with a high turn motor made it immense fun, playing around with gear ratios, lead weights on the wheel rims, etc.

R/C Crawling is a whole genre of R/C itself and you could go bonkers with all the kit and electronics out there!

You can buy ‘soft’ lipo cells reasonably cheaply and for a decent charger look no further than the iMax B6; it’ll charge pretty much anything – and make sure you charge with the cells in a (flame retardant) lipo sack.

spacemonkey

Yeah. the crawling element is what got my attention, having not known it even existed until beer o’clock last night.

Am thinking the portability of it, eg taking it to the woods, hills, beach, is what will make it a hit too.

Can then think about upgrading.

Will check out those links as I want everything to be 100% safe.

Ta

flip
    Free Member

2 of mine, scx10 converted to d90 wheelbase and rc4wd trailfinder.

Dont underestimate the money that can be spent…

househusband

I quite fancy a Traxxas Summit – not a crawler, but it can crawl, due to a twin ratio gearbox

gemini29
    Free Member

That Summit is a very versatile r/c car.
    Great fun..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Think I might be getting into RC cars’ is closed to new replies.