Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Think a neighbour scraped my wife's car – what to do?
  • retro83
    Free Member

Worth having a quick word, but when the same thing happened to my car the closest I got to an apology was ‘**** OFF’ despite clear evidence she’d done it (mark on her car which matched the damage on mine exactly).

hora
    Free Member

Then the next course of action is wait a month or so and nitromores at night.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Not a good idea hora, really. Esp if plod are aware of the situation. You’d find yourself up on criminal damage claim.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Sandwich

You need to acquire some bombers.

GrahamS

Worth having a quick word

Trouble is we don’t know who to have a word with. It’s not our immediate neighbours as we know all of them.

Anyways plod are involved now so we’ll see what happens…

phil.w
    Free Member

Trouble is we don’t know who to have a word with. It’s not our immediate neighbours as we know all of them

Block their car in. You’ll find out soon enough. 🙂

speaker2animals

GrahamS – where do you live fella? I’m amazed that the police are actually coming to look into the problem. Unless – a few years ago we did have a couple of PCs visit each house for a couple of streets round where I live as there had been multiple incidents and they were seeing is there were other minor ones that had not been reported or if anyone knew anything.

Both times I have had bikes stolen I have had to go in to the police station to report the thefts as there was no interest in coming out to see the crime scene.

Just another indication of the car-centric society we live in. No offense Graham but I suspect that the value of my bikes was at least as much as if not simply more than, what it is likely to get your wifes cars damage fixed, even at a main dealers.

Hora – yeah nitromores the suspect car cos that won’t lead to escalation will it. I’m not saying the culprit should get away with it but do you really think anyone of the mentality that you are alluding to is likely to just accept it as a fair cop? yeah, right.

GrahamS

Right, Dibble has attended (must have been a very quiet day!). He confirmed that it looks like the same paint, at the same height, and looks very much like the other car struck us.

But because we first noticed the damage on our car at them end of September it happened too long ago to be worth pursuing.

Apparently we should have contacted them as soon as we noticed the damage on our car. 😯

Ah well. Back to Plan A. Note on the windscreen.

Should I write in blood, faeces or words cut out of newspapers?

Any suggestions for the wording? 😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

Attach a politely written note to the handle of the pick axe thats embedded in the cars bonnet. 😈

phil.w
    Free Member

handle of the pick axe thats embedded in the cars bonnet.

according to the Met nothing wrong with that either

hora
    Free Member

Hora – yeah nitromores the suspect car cos that won’t lead to escalation will it. I’m not saying the culprit should get away with it but do you really think anyone of the mentality that you are alluding to is likely to just accept it as a fair cop? yeah, right.

So you are suggesting the person will automatically think ‘its that **** across the street whose car I scratched’?

Walks across road and bangs on OP’s door ‘I know it was you as I was the one who drove into your car and kept quiet about it’.

😆

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

To be fair the Police response that its too long is obvious. You should have reported the ‘crime’ sooner.

Personally I’d have done it the other way round. Asked the neighbours first, called the Police second. That would have saved the Police a lot of time, effort and money.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Geez

Regardless of Plod being powerless (its a civil matter, no crime can be proven) he is I believe bound to give you the registered keeper deatils of the other vehicle, you can also ask the DVLA this yourself as you have a genuine reason, or your insurance will tell you if you report it.

Plod has confirmed the paint from your car on their car, so you are home dry on that and I think anyone looking at those photos would surely agree they are much more likely to have been reversing into you than the other way round – civil proof being balance of probability = you win.

Keep at it gently but firmly and you should get enough repair money without having to shoot anyone (or evacuate your bladder in their galoshes)

GrahamS

You should have reported the ‘crime’ sooner.

Never occurred to us to report it when we first noticed it, as we had no idea when it had happened or who did it – so it seemed pointless.

But the officer maintained we should have as they could have checked for witness statements and CCTV footage 😯 (which seems like a hypothetically thorough investigation for a scratch).

That would have saved the Police a lot of time, effort and money.

The missus only called them for a bit of advice about what to do. They insisted on sending someone round. She explicitly said to them “Isn’t that a waste of police time and money?” and they said “Oh no madam, I crime has been committed”.

yeah nitromores the suspect car

Nitro Mors is old skool. Gallium is where it is at (assuming Pugs are made from aluminium):
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaMWxLCGY0U[/video]

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d be 50:50 on confronting them, the downside would be if they counter-accused you of doing the damage to their car, could end up as an insurance mess. Given there are no witnesses you would just be relying on their goodwill to fess up if you did confront them, seems unlikely in this day and age… Ofc without giving them the chance to fess up/compensate then you can’t really retaliate either so you’re stuck either way :p

GrahamS

he is I believe bound to give you the registered keeper deatils of the other vehicle

He said he could confirm it was “registered locally” but couldn’t tell us where.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The vast majority of cars on the road are made from steel, so a gallium attack may not be your best option either.

GrahamS

Update: well in an interesting turn of events, enquiries made to our other neighbours suggest the car belongs to a guy in another street, who may be a consultant at the hospital where the missus works.

Ahhh…

scaredypants

can of spray paint in “bilious vomit green” & stencil “oops” on the panel above their wheelarch ?

Edit following update: just key it instead

(I used to work at a hospital where one of the senior nurses’ cars was keyed in the carpark. CCTV showed a consultant doing it 😆 )

bigyinn
    Free Member

I never really understood why people key / scratch / intentionally damage someone’s car for no reason at all. Tit for tat I can sort of justify, but mindless damage just doesn’t make sense to me.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Think a neighbour scraped my wife's car – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.