Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Think a bike I purchased is stolen – what to do?
  • anonimo
    Free Member

So I may well get crucified on here, but it looks like my recent purchase is stolen, they done a pretty good job of disguising it – frame number missing, nice job, only really noticed it when I was stripping it down to change some parts over as there was a very feint line neatly around the welds of the BB where they masked it off to paint, they had gone to the trouble of filling and partially marking numbers then painting and covering in protective tape, rest of the frame was untouched. Wasn’t dirt cheap, about the right price for the frame and parts and the guy knew a lot about bikes and bits and pieces.

I feel gutted, more so that someone has had their bike nicked and sold on. I tried google searching for a stolen bike using the make and model, nothing, tried searches on places like bike register, nothing. I’ve contacted the police and without any number or identifying marks they say there’s not much they can do, I suggested they must have some sort of data base they can check so they said they would look into it to see if that particular model, colour, etc had been reported and get back to me, nothing, but they did say if nothing comes up there’s not a lot they can do.

So what do I do? I’m quite happy to return it to the original owner but if nothing or no one can be found should I just ride it.

I feel like I’ve tried everything to do the right thing.

No response from seller emails or calls so I’m writing that off, and if I’m out of pocket but the original owner gets it back I’ll be happy, it’s not a massive amount that I’ll be out of pocket.

Not entirely sure why I’m posting this really, just don’t know what else to do …. 😕

Ride it, while hanging your head in shame.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Ride it like you stole it!

…then go home, hoof yourself in the slats, wee in your own shoes and make sure that there’s no pudding. That should cover it.

kevin1911

Fair play for spotting it and trying to do the right thing. I presume you paid cash? If it was by Paypal, you could contact them and tell them you suspect it’s stolen.

You’d think the coppers would at least pay the seller a visit to see if he/she has a production line going to distribute stolen goods!

anonimo
    Free Member

Rozzers did take the details of the sellers mobile and email so you never know maybe something will come of it. But, I’d like to think if one of my bikes got stolen there was more that could be done, it’s made me think about security marking. I have all my frame numbers and details but if the numbers removed how can it be confirmed who it belongs to?

anonimo
    Free Member

Maybe I need to get my old bombers out the loft and give my self a talking to 😳

bedfordrd

Do a quick search for ‘stolen’ on these threads and see if the same make/model has been reported stolen by someone?

Had mine nicked a year ago – still smarts when I think about it.

cookeaa

I would also be concerned if the seller posted it to your home address… You potentially now have an organised bike thief, who knows you are into bikes and has your address…

anonimo
    Free Member

I’ve tried on here too, everywhere I can think of, if anyone else has suggestions of other places to search let me know. Doesn’t know my address or any other details.

It’s interesting reading when you search for circumstances like this. I’ve read about people not wanting recovered bikes back as they’ve had an insurance payout and it then becomes the property of the insurance company who usually turn around and say we don’t want it keep it.

bedfordrd

BTW – mine was a Norco Range Killer-B – blinged up.

And, yes, I’d want it back – too much love and money went into it!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

suggested they must have some sort of data base they can check so they said they would look into it to see if that particular model, colour, etc

immobilise.com is the biggest register of property in the country, as it’s a spim-off from the national mobile phone register which the government made the industry set up in order to try limit phone thefts. The Police have a different portal to paying punters in order to be able to search it, and it is nationwide whereas force’s crime recording databases are still only within each force. It’s possible whoever you spoke to doesn’t know about it – do you know any coppers?

Travis

how about a pic and details of the bike on here.
    More people can help spread the word.

honourablegeorge

Sounds like it could be mine, I’ll send you the address to post it to, cheers 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

post a picture of it on here…if i like the look of it i’ll claim it… 😛

anonimo
    Free Member

Mm, had a look on immobilise.com but I can’t do a search on there myself to see if anything comes up or am I missing something?

The copper I spoke to did say that they would do a search local to the area I got it from and they would check nationally as well, but again without numbers or some way of identifying it they thought it unlikely. I said do you want to come and pick it up but they seemed to think there’s little they could do with it. That’s about a week ago and not heard anything.

I think if I put it up on here I’d suddenly get a lot of people claiming it 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The lengths you have gone to are admirable, lots of people wouldn’t. As for posting details up here/other places, How would anyone who has had the same bike stolen identify it, if the bike hasn’t got a legible serial number.

You’d have to just take their word for it?.

Bregante

If you’re in the North West o.p, send me an email and I’ll see what I can do.

irvb

If its a 1988 HooKooEKoo, I had it stolen in 1991 and would love to get it back 🙁

edlong
    Free Member

I’m guessing it’s not a 2007 Rockrider (Decathlon house brand)? If it is though, I’d like it… actually, no, you can keep it…

Rockhopper
    Free Member

There is a way of recovering ground off serial numbers but it may be too expensive to bother with for a bike. Works well on firearms so I’m told.

m360
    Free Member

You need to find the seller! The original owner isn’t the one with your cash, and the only chance you have of getting that back is from the seller. You can’t sell it on knowing it’s stolen and I’m surprised the police haven’t come to take it from you yet.

crankboy
    Free Member

the police can’t take it from you as you have a better right to the bike than the whole world apart from the true owner . you are not committing the crime of handling stolen goods as no one in their right mind could describe your actions as dishonest . You can keep use and enjoy the bike but off the top of my head not sell it or give it away if the true owner turns up you need to hand it over as I am sure you are utterly wiling to do .
    The seller owes you your cash back if you can trace him but he or she probably didn’t have legal title so can’t have the bike back.

It may be crucial to find out how the bike came to the seller or you as a really odd doctrine called market overt does allow a thief to pass good title if the item is sold in a customary market (as defined in law) or the city of London square mile .
    Apologies for grammar spelling and punctuation but the advise is reasonably sound. EDIT except for the market overt point which is out of date and now wrong.

gonzy
    Free Member

if its a red haro dhr its mine

relliott6879
    Free Member

Had my beloved 1996 Kona (steel hardtail, full XT, Fox forks, dripping with Hope) nicked in Waterloovile in 2011, scoured eBay, Gumtree, local classifieds etc for over a year but never saw hide nor hair of it. 😥

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

If its a black NS Surge with ‘zocchi RC3ti forks, it will be a pleasure to know that a fellow mtb’er is using it rather than some scaghead using it as a pub bike.

I did quite well from the insurance so fill your boots.

shermer75
    Free Member

You’ve gone to great lengths to find the original owner, and been prepared to give it up and lose money, so don’t feel guilty. Feel good about yourself, you’ve def done the right thing!

shermer75
    Free Member

Ps message me if it’s a black Cotic Simple, size large 😉

scaled
    Free Member

if it’s a large nukeproof mega with a CCDB inline then that’s mine 😛

bearnecessities

If it’s a Tomac Primer, see Fieldy of this place.

(This thread could get long!)

anonimo
    Free Member

Nobody’s got the bike or area right yet, but it’s an unfashionable 26in, straight steerer and over a few years old so original owner might not even want it back now 😆 although the frame looks very tidy, hardly used – I might give the plod a call to see if they’ve unearthed anything and if they say not I’ll just have to build it up and ride it

anonimo
    Free Member

(This thread could get long!)

Yeah, I’ll end up with everyone on here who’s been unfortunate enough to have a bike stolen if it’s an x, y or z

Rosss
    Free Member

Great job OP you’ve gone above what most people would even think of, if nothing comes out of it is keep an eye on forums etc but just get on and ride it.

While I’m here mine was a specialized rockhopper South Wales !

taxi25
    Free Member

You’ve done far more than most would do in similar circumstances. If the police aren’t interested I’d just ride the bike, use it as it was intended to be used. I wouldn’t sell it on though, you never know maybe the true owner will show up one day. Strange things do happen.

midlifecrashes

If it’s a 1994 (Halfords) Carrera Mission with canti brakes and an own brand flexstem, you can keep it. 🙂

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

In all seriousness its not a blue santa cruz or a yeti full sus? Again in blue.. If it is the lad whos sold them to you i well known locally for nicking and re selling high end bikes. The old bill will take the bike off you if found to be stolen or original owner has reported stolen. I know because the shitbag sold me a bike and it got taken off me….. Its rubbish that youl get to keep the bike. Its stolen property (if in fact it is)

char34
    Free Member

orange dialled love/hate?
    secktor forks black?
    was set up single speed

spooky_b329

’97 Lava Dome in vomit green? Thought not 🙁

bencooper
    Free Member

Pink steel Stumpjumper? Or a Kingcycle?

The Stumpy I’m not too fussed about, the Kingcycle still hurts.

anonimo
    Free Member

Quite a few threads recently about stolen bikes, sad, people please make sure you mark your frame and parts in some way as without any frame numbers or means of identifying there’s little chance you’ll get it back. I’m keeping an eye on these threads and if at any time the one I have comes up I’ll be in touch 😐

gonzy
    Free Member

if its a blue Base SJ26 thats mine too…the frame went at the same time as the Haro

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Think a bike I purchased is stolen – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.