Viewing 22 posts - 121 through 142 (of 142 total)
  • Things you used to do in the olden days?
  • 5thElefant
    Free Member

I’d buy a magazine or two every week. I’d even buy books.

Haven’t bought either since the 90s. Even electronic versions seem an impossibly rigid and antiquated concept now. Like the album – something else I haven’t bought since the 90s and can’t imagine playing anymore.

whitestone
    Free Member

In the olden days when the car needed fixing I took it to a sad git and his apprentice, both of them covered in oil and grease.

These days when the car needs fixing I take it to a sad git with a computer who then hands it to his intern who is covered in oil and grease.

nickc

I’d buy a magazine or two every week. I’d even buy books.

I still do, A lot of my work is screen based, the idea of spending leisure time (natch) on them as well…

same as Albums, Moon Shaped Pool in the car CD, gets listened all the way through most days…listened to a couple of others last night as well. Lots of classical stuff “needs” the whole to be listened to, rather than “songs/movments” as it makes no sense*

*poncy, I know, apologies. 😳

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    darrell
    Free Member

walk 4 miles to school with my friends and laugh a lot (this was the mid 70s)

not know about and therefore not care about all the sh1t going on in the world

go on bike adventures with my friends – on a 3 speed Chopper 3 miles was a big adventure and the ride down from Tottington to Bury Road was the highlight

Watch Doctor Who (again in the 70s)

molgrips
    Free Member

Lots of classical stuff “needs” the whole to be listened to, rather than “songs/movments” as it makes no sense*

You know you can still listen to whole albums on MP3 etc format, don’t you? You don’t have to have it shuffled.

darrell
    Free Member

oh yeah and I forgot

headbang to Deep Purple and Black Sabbath at the school disco

perchypanther
    Free Member

Head or finger?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I still do, A lot of my work is screen based, the idea of spending leisure time (natch) on them as well…

There’s no search facility! You can’t even highlight a word and jump off to other sources.

I often find myself thinking I’ll just use the search facility when I’m looking for a tool in the workshop. My workshop doesn’t have a search facility. This annoys me. Maybe I can implement something with RFIDs?

matt_outandabout

Press play and record at the right moment of the chart show, and stop again before the DJ spoke…

gordimhor

Lunchtime drinking…

binners

Lunchtime drinking…

Indeed. When I first worked in Manchester in the 90’s (granted… it was in meedya), it wasn’t unusual for the entire office to relocate to the pub every single lunchtime. A lot of the time it wasn’t unusual to not bother going back.

Eeeeeeeeee….. them were’t days

*hic*

oikeith

Knock & run.

You mean knock knock ginger?

perchypanther
    Free Member

You mean knock knock ginger?

You mean Chappie?

nickc

You know you can still listen to whole albums on MP3 etc format, don’t you? You don’t have to have it shuffled.

No, really? Can you do that? wow, learn something new everyday… 😆 🙄

was talking about CDs…

oikeith

You mean Chappie?

The movie?

gordimhor

Thats proper lunchtime drinking Binners My lunchtime drinking was done as a student, some lunchtimes could be as long as 60 hours though.
    (There may have been some tactical sleeping involved)

perchypanther
    Free Member

The movie?

No. The dog food.

RustySpanner

binners – Member
    Lunchtime drinking…
    Indeed. When I first worked in Manchester in the 90’s (granted… it was in meedya), it wasn’t unusual for the entire office to relocate to the pub every single lunchtime. A lot of the time it wasn’t unusual to not bother going back.

As a copy boy on the Daily Express and Star in the 80’s, my job was to find out which pub the editorial team were in and get them back to finish the paper.
    🙂

Usually either the Cheshire Cheese, The Land O’Cakes or the Press Club.
    Used to take a couple of hours of herding to find them all, inevitability someone would be ill or asleep on the bog somewhere…..
    Sunday afternoons especially were always a bit slack, so pretty much everyone would just hit the boozer.
    😀

Happy days.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Whatever happened to…..
    Proper seasons
    White dog poo
    The corner shop
    Penny Sweets

thepurist

Buy food without being told it was high in fat/sugar/salt or going to give me cancer or contained a billion additives that would make my hyperactive or anything. And nobody else worrying about any of that either.

hairylegs
    Free Member

ratnips – Member

Turn up at a place and time arranged without any phone calls from mobile phones.

Funnily enough was talking about this last night to 17 yo daughter.My first climbing trip to the Alps with friends from uni was organised by nothing more than “meet you in the Bar National sometime on June xxth”, whereas she can’t meet her friends at Costa without twenty million phone calls, texts, snapchats,instagrams etc.

Okay,twenty million, I exaggerate! but you get the picture

slowoldman

When I first worked in Manchester in the 90’s (granted… it was in meedya), it wasn’t unusual for the entire office to relocate to the pub every single lunchtime

…and in the Abercrombie you couldn’t get to the bar for CID.

Viewing 22 posts - 121 through 142 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Things you used to do in the olden days?’ is closed to new replies.