Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)
  • Things you simply cannot bring yourself to pay for.
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

Thats why Broadmoor has a lower carpark thats free 5 mins away.

broadmoor has a car park for its staff and visitors, not for mountainbikers. word from broadmoor staff is they might start letting the patients out to destroy cars that dont display staff permits as a new therapy 😉

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

broadmoor has a car park for its staff and visitors, not for mountainbikers. word from broadmoor staff is they might start letting the patients out to destroy cars that dont display staff permits as a new therapy

Oooh, I love the sound of sirens in the mornings, if they let them out. If they get the cob on, then back to the carpark in the high street, another 5mins on the journey.

molgrips
    Free Member

I refuse to pay for the privilege, and it is a fantastic privilege, of listening to you lot whine and whinge.

Oh wait – I don’t.

molgrips
    Free Member

somehow still have enough “value added” that they cost the same as the real book that has been physically printed

They don’t, usually they are £1-2 off.

Any idea how much Amazon costs to run?

Any idea if the publishers/authors get a bigger cut?

DrP

I hate paying for a sandwich lunch – a packed lunch is much tastier and contains what I want… and probably cost a few quid max…
    Screw paying £8 for day old sarnies and a bag of crisps!

DrP

Junkyard
    Free Member

Any idea how much Amazon costs to run?

as his post stated whatever it is it is much less than the actual physical book method – what lets say it is 25% of the other method and i think that is being generous

Any idea if the publishers/authors get a bigger cut?

No i think Amazon use the extra profit to help old ladies and feed the poor 🙄

Keva
    Free Member

I refuse to pay for parking outside my own house just because someone from the council has decided to graffiti all over the road something about ‘residents only’.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Paying £2.50 just to enter a tent of vintage cycles that were due to auctioned later that day. I wonder how many people did pay?

spchantler
    Free Member

barristers fees…how can they sleep at night knowingly fleecing people? mine was going to cost £1000, she would have done 3 cases that day, 3 grand for a days work?

andyl
    Free Member

Good time to bring this up: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19438088

at the end of the article:

Vue Cinemas, where a regular popcorn and soft drink costs £8.25, say food and drink is an optional extra and customers are free to take their own snacks in.

A spokesman adds: “Vue’s pricing of retail items is in line with other out-of-home entertainment venues.”

I am going to print that out and next time I go to the cinema take a big tub of home made popcorn and a nice home made smoothie and some malteasers bought from somewhere else!

molgrips
    Free Member

as his post stated whatever it is it is much less than the actual physical book method – what lets say it is 25% of the other method and i think that is being generous

Is that a complete guess based on nothing?

I refuse to pay for parking outside my own house just because someone from the council has decided to graffiti all over the road something about ‘residents only’

Are you not a resident in your own house?

andyl
    Free Member

Oh and Hospital parking charges – WTF! It is just wrong.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Equipment with the prefix “MTB” or “Tri”…..they saw us coming!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Council workplace parking levies.

_tom_
    Free Member

WTF is that all about; buying coffee from special coffee shops?

Being sociable and sharing a drink with your friends/a girl rather than sitting at home **** over your “superior” gaggia 😛

Junkyard
    Free Member

lets say it is 25% of the other method and i think that is being generous
    Is that a complete guess based on nothing?

nothing gets past you eh Sherlock i though I had hid that well 🙄
    Ps you refuting it as inaccurate is also a guess 😛

there is a detailed post above explaining why Amazons cost structure is less than a traditional book method but you thn asked your question.
    if you want to google waterstones V amazon and get an accurate figure feel free but we both know the later is much less.

Its a business of course their model is cheaper than the alternative or they would do the alternative

mattsccm
    Free Member

Haircuts. I have wife for that!
    Bottled water although I have lowered myself to buy the 50p for 2 litres stuff on a hot ride when I can’t carry enough.
    Firewood.60 quid + a ton! A walk in the woods keepps me going.

TiRed

Limousines for work. Ridiculous rip off that decimates the travel budget. I always use public transport. I also avoid Taxis unless absolutely necessary.

Mark

The eBooks issue is more to do with VAT being added to eBooks but not to printed books – so if you want to vent some of the price indignation I’d save up at least 20% for the Government.

Amazon take 30% by the way. The Govt take 20% – that’s 50% gone right there, before you even get to the publisher and finally the poor old author.

Flaperon

Parking in my home town. I already pay through the nose for council tax; the shops I’m visiting and spending money in pay exorbitant business rates, and the machines don’t give change. I take my chances with the wardens.

philconsequence
    Free Member

molly, its pretty common if you live in/close to a town centre for the council to change the parking restrictions on the roads to permit only and the residents have to pay for a permit from the council… pretty much the whole of reading town centre has been like this for years

molgrips
    Free Member

Ps you refuting it as inaccurate is also a guess

I didn’t claim it was in accurate, I questioned the reasoning behind it. Your detailed breakdown seemed to be just supposition, so I questioned that.

Saying ‘we all know x’ doesn’t make it a fact 🙂

the residents have to pay for a permit from the council

Hmm.. I don’t think you have to pay in Cardiff.. or at least it’s not much. But in any case. Just because your house happens to be on a stretch of road, doesn’t make it your road, does it?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Branded clothing. What is the point? If they want me to advertise their brand they can pay me to wear their name.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Parking in my home town. I already pay through the nose for council tax; the shops I’m visiting and spending money in pay exorbitant business rates, and the machines don’t give change. I take my chances with the wardens.

I pay all that too, and I don’t own a car. Why should I pay for you to park? If you choose to own a car, then accept that parking fees are a part of the cost of enjoying that privilege.

I do my best to avoid full RRP on anything; always on the lookout for a bargain!

beefheart
    Free Member

Air from petrol stations.
    It’s air ffs!

Junkyard
    Free Member

pay all that too, and I don’t own a carbike. Why should I pay for you to parkcycle on purpose built tracks and the roads? If you choose to own a carcycle, then accept that parking fees toll charges for cycling are a part of the cost of enjoying that privilege.

Anyone can do a piece like that Mike

portlyone

Anyone can do a piece like that Mike

Internet sorted, lets all go home. Last one out turn off the server

andyl
    Free Member

It’s air ffs!

but who pays for the electricity to compress the air and the machine and the upkeep of the machine as the heads get damaged by people who don’t give a crap about them.

I agree you should get free air if you buy fuel – eg you ask for a token with your fuel but why should someone who isn’t a customer get free compressed air?

maccruiskeen

It’s air ffs!

but who pays for the electricity to compress the air and the machine and the upkeep of the machine as the heads get damaged by people who don’t give a crap about them.

I agree you should get free air if you buy fuel – eg you ask for a token with your fuel but why should someone who isn’t a customer get free compressed air?

Is it just my luck – or since air lines became all fancy and coinfed and electronic – they’re out of order 90% of the time.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why should I pay for you to park?

Understanding of how society works FAIL

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Tupperware

Jam jars

Sandwich bags

Fruit/nuts that readily grows in hedges

Potatoes from supermarkets (£1.50 for a small bag, versus £5 for 25kg of the blighters? GTF)

Pay to view TV

rudebwoy
    Free Member

my funeral

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

set of forks which need servicing every 15 hours of use… i could pay 30% less for a pair which work 99% as well, are a little less cool, and only need servicing every year or so.

bottled water. one of the biggest arguments i’ve had with a gf was over this. a ridiculous product for people with no sense of environmental responsibility.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

How can the lottery be a stealth tax on the poor?

You either chose to buy a ticket or not buy a ticket!

rudebwoy
    Free Member

How can the lottery be a stealth tax on the poor?

I know people who ‘win every week without buying a ticket,
    …the directors of camelot

yunki
    Free Member

but they’re selling hope, a rare and valuable commodity to the desperate..

joao3v16
    Free Member

bottled water … a ridiculous product for people with no sense of environmental responsibility

Your sentence was unnecessarily long 😀

You don’t need to be an eco-mental-ist to realise buying bottled water in this country is unnecessary and idiotic.

Cougar

Lots of hate for bottled water.

What’s the alternative? Only, I’m sure as hell not drinking the stuff that comes out of the taps in my OH’s London flat. Call me old fashioned, but I don’t drink water I can’t see through.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

but they’re selling hope, a rare and valuable commodity to the desperate..

Oh stop being so dewy-eyed & melodramatic.

Youre not being forced to buy one are you?

Ergo how can it be a tax?

+1 for buying bottled water, the stuff that comes out of my tap is foul.

scuzz
    Free Member

Any alcohol that is advertised on TV
    Poor quality clothing
    Self help books

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Things you simply cannot bring yourself to pay for.’ is closed to new replies.