• This topic has 53 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Things you own that you thought were worth a fortune..
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

But turned out to be pretty worthless..

I have an old omega automatic watch from the 70s which I wanted to value for insurance purposes.. Assumed value of over A grand.. Turned out they sell on eBay for 100 quid.. No biggie as I’m not selling it but I felt slightly short changed by gramps!

Even worse my early 70s epiphone 250 guitar which has been languishing in the loft..said ‘kalamazoo’inside (where the original ones were made before they became cheap Gibson copies) so thought I was sitting on a gold mine.. Turns out it was made in Japan and is the worst guitar they ever sold..

wiggles
    Free Member

I had a really old SLR camera that was given to me by a relative when I was a kid, used it quite a lot found it a few years ago and thought it might be worth a few Bob

Turns out it was made in a country that doesn’t exist anymore and there was not single one ever sold on eBay/anywhere to value it…

perchypanther
    Free Member

My seven bedroom detached Victorian house complete with large, mature gardens.

Turns out it’s inconveniently located in a shithole of a town.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Pp..swap you for a vintage guitar?

RustySpanner

Model trains.
    Loads of the bloody things.
    Sadly from the late 70’s and early 80’s, so mostly pretty worthless.
    So I still play with them instead.

Oh and the first couple of Stone Roses singles, So Young/Tell Me and the original pressing of Sally Cinnamon.
    Worth a bomb a few years ago, not so much now……

jamj1974

So Young/Tell Me

Excellent tunes the pair of them!

P-Jay
    Free Member

We’ve got an old oil painting, it’s supposed The be worth a few quid… but it was knocked up by some artist no ones ever heard of, who was an understudy to some artist that only a handful of art historians had ever heard of – this guys entire life’s work somehow ended up on the walls of my wife’s family – collectively they own the lot, so there’s no market for it, because there isn’t a market.

It goes with boxes of old coins and medals awarded to to lord-knows-who way-back-when, collectively they’re worth “**** all”.

cloudnine
    Free Member

That little old silver coin that i found in a box.. turns out its a gold half sovereign.. Oh.. no wait..
    Its a full gold sovereign from a rare year!!

Oh.. sorry wrong thread

Cougar

My CD and film collection, when I bought them I thought they’d be worth something some day. I took all my “limited special collector’s edition” VHS cassettes to the tip not so long back.

maccruiskeen

A very rare example of a Edinburgh police box. So rare in fact that it’s possibly the only one of its kind still in existance- there were probably only about 20 like it to begin with and this is likely to be only one left.

Probably of no value as no one really knows they existed in the first place.

metalheart
    Free Member

My collection of first day covers my granda bought us kids faithfully for years…

Turns out, so did everybody else’s grandads…. so worth the square root of chuff all. Wish he’d spent the money on himself…

tomhoward

An F1 exhaust manifold (half a V8 one)

An a large collection of bicycles…

kormoran
    Free Member

My pair of Abu Cardinal 55’s

cynic-al
    Free Member

maccruiskeen – Member
    A very rare example of a Edinburgh police box. So rare in fact that it’s possibly the only one of its kind still in existance- there were probably only about 20 like it to begin with and this is likely to be only one left.

Probably of no value as no one really knows they existed in the first place.

Shirley worth something? (there’s one close to my house)

handyman153
    Free Member

My collection of first day covers my granda bought us kids faithfully for years…

This!
    I’ve got every single one from 1971 – 2002 sat under my desk.. including the postcard versions (can’t remember the proper name for these now)
    A couple are worth a few £££, but literally 2 or 3!

Such a shame, as my grandpa collected them, certain it was a good investment!

maccruiskeen

(there’s one close to my house)

No theres not – theres one a bit like it near your house. Mine’s different.

tjagain

Is it bigger on the inside?

AD

My 26″ mountain bikes (Bontrager Race and a Turner Flux) – just as well I don’t want to sell them!

mmannerr

^just going to post same thing. One of mine is fairly rare Titus but as O-O own the name they are no longer a high end brand.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I bought this new back 1989 (IIRC) I thought by now it’d be worth £m’s.. sadly it isn’t. But I love it.

oldnpastit

My pension.

gregsd
    Free Member

First issue of Singletrack magazine 😉

convert

I’d like to say that my two treasured possessions from my youth/teens would fall into this catagory. My cricket bat that previously was owned by someone a bit better than me, signed by the whole of some team that won stuff in 1981. This bat:-

Also a short wave radio from Bletchley Park complete with all the plugin coils and operators handbooks left to me in the mid 80’s by an old boy with a vague past and a penchant for crosswords and crazy engineering projects. Just like these ones:-

I’d like to say of no value to both of them but sadly I’ve been informed both would fetch a good few quid…if they were not at the bottom of a landfill my mother took them to during a ‘bit of a clear out’ when I was out of the country.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

all my “limited special collector’s edition” VHS cassettes

convert

Always been proud that Quagmire was depicted as a left hooker like me. What a role model.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

🙂

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Old cast iron base singer sowing machine. Have 4 of them. Asked a local seamstress for an idea on value…. 50 quid each with a fair wind!!! I was thinking new full sus frame in them!!!!!!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

2 first edition Harry Potters bought for £3.50 each. Woohoo – except it turns out they sell for £5

graemecsl
    Free Member

An Orange Gringo from the early nineties, surely a collectors item now.

Various items of now ‘unfashionable ‘brown’ furniture, Victorian Diningg Table and Chairs, Baby Grand Piano, Georgian Silver Candlesticks all worth lots once upon a time, now, nothing.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Old cast iron base singer sowing machine. Have 4 of them. Asked a local seamstress for an idea on value…. 50 quid each with a fair wind!!! I was thinking new full sus frame in them!!!!!!

We’ve got one too, assumed as most people do old + well made + historical = loadamoney, but it seems that when they were in use pretty much every household in the country had one and they’re so well made that pots still exist- local antique centre has a lot of them and many more to hand should anyone want one.

wallop

My husband 🙄

TheDTs
    Free Member

We did some work for Antiques Roadshow last year so had the opportunity to take a few things along to the most local one, without queuing with the masses.
    Having nothing in our house I thought would have any value over second hand ikea ebay prices, I raided my parents, as they were on holiday.
    Turns out they haven’t got anything of any real value either. They were quite blunt with me to be honest…
    Still got to see one of the experts have a hissy fit because the punters weren’t unwrapping their most prized possessions quickly enough for him.

cynic-al
    Free Member

maccruiskeen – Member
    A very rare example of a Edinburgh police box

How is it different?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I have an old omega automatic watch from the 70s

Same here, a Seamaster battery powered one. Except the battery leaked at some point & Fubared it.

We’ve got an old oil painting,

I’ve got 2. After investigation theyr’e both what the auctioneers call ‘After T Hardy’ In other words, copies of T Hardy’s work. Originals were worth about £6-700.

maccruiskeen

How is it different?

Its wooden. All the ones still in situ in edinburgh are cast iron. There were originally 70 or so police boxes in the city. Only 50 or so are still around and accounted for meaning 20 have vanished. My one suggests that a bunch of those missing ones were probably wooden and perished.

Mines the same in almost every detail as the iron ones – in fact its more detailed. The wooden construction makes sense of the design too, so it seems the iron ones are facsimiles of an earlier wooden design.

Mine must have been taken out of service pretty early on. The ones you still see around edinburgh have what looks like a little chimney on the top – thats the 4 Minute Warning – being an existing set of networked locations with power and phone connection they were commandeered for civil defence duties and fitted with sirens during the cold war. Mine doesn’t show signs of that having been fitted so it was presumably taken off the street before then.

FuzzyWuzzy

A wealthy uncle gave me some split-cane fishing rods and a collection of reels when I was a kid briefly going through a fishing hobby phase. I noticed one of them was a Hardy and remembered reading some of them were worth hundreds, I rang up some place for a valuation and apparently it was just a common, relatively cheap one worth less than £50. I guess in hindsight I was being an ungrateful shit but I was disappointed at the time :p

freeagent
    Free Member

+1 first day covers – I’ve got a stack about 6″ high from 1972 onwards which my Grandparents collected for me.
    As far as I can see, most sell for about £1 each on ebay.

I put a stack of early 1990’s 2000AD comics in the recycling a couple of years back after the local comic shop told me he didn’t event want them for nothing.

I’m not going to collect anything anymore – I just don’t see the point.

rOcKeTdOg

Any pics of the guitar?

hatter

I bought a super limited edition 7″ of the first Lostprohets single way back when.

“That’ll make a nice return” I thought as the band got bigger and bigger

Sadly I don’t think ‘nonce-rock’ has much of a collecting scene.

zippykona

We were given one of these as payment in the shop.

According to the web it’s worth a bit so we followed one on eBay.
    It went for £1.99.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Things you own that you thought were worth a fortune..’ is closed to new replies.