• This topic has 156 replies, 74 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 157 total)
  • Things you notice on TV and in Films that make no sense
  • captainsasquatch
    Free Member

How photographs turn out nice and sharp even though they were with a 400+mm lens minus tripod.

The software used for sharpening up images to identify suspects/registration numbers/times on watches etc is awesome.

fasthaggis

In the first LOTR film,(near the end)some of the Uruk-hai extras are being far too careful coming down through the woods to finish off Boromir.Once you spot them it’s hilarious. “Oooo, watch that branch,mind your foot” 🙂
    My boys and I called it the ‘Mincing Orcs scene’

P-Jay
    Free Member

Why in Holby City are broken and blooded people taken straight from the mangled remains of their car/bus/hotel/office straight onto a ward, seemingly completely by-passing A&E (aka Casualty)

Speaking of lay-out – can you imagine what the outside of this building would look like!

molgrips
    Free Member

Also, why is an eagle call necessary on any sweeping landscape shot?

It’s actually a red-tailed hawk sound. And it’s such a widespread convention that that sound automatically evokes the people struggling through desert concept wherever you hear it. My daughter bought a stuffed one that made that sound when squeezed, and it really was quite a bizarre mental discontinuity to keep hearing it in normal situations.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Why all telephone numbers in America contain 5-5-5.

Also, why all cars make a blip blip noise when you remotely lock or unlock them. So 1980’s.

Finally why do cars always slightly roll forward in America when the driver gets out of them. I’ve drove and parked cars in America many times and this has never happened to me.

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s deliberate. No numbers beginning 555 are allocated, so that they can give them out in TV shows and films and no poor bugger is going to get harrassed by weirdos who call it.

Along similar lines, whenever there’s an emergency, someone always looks up towards camera and says theatrically “Call 911!”. This is deliberate from when the number was introduced, so that the number and when to call it gets drilled into the population.

Finally why do cars always slightly roll forward in America when the driver gets out of them. I’ve drove and parked cars in America many times and this has never happened to me.

They are automatics, and they put them in park which sticks a peg into a cog in the gearbox. There’s always a bit of play in it though which lets you roll the car back and forwards a few inches. Happens to any automatic – try it. If the car’s on a slope you use the brakes to stop, the pedal must be depressed to engage park, then when you let go of the footbrake the car rolls forwards to take up the slack in the drivetrain and peg.

DezB
    Free Member

Don’t people realise that sitcoms and soaps are made in studios?

Speeder

Doesn’t even need words

jamj1974

Has anyone else noticed that sound effects from 1990’s Rare produced games like Jet Force Gemini, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Banjo Kazooie are identical to those used a lot in film and TV…?

crazy-legs

That one quite famously came from an early film/TV show where a random number was given as a phone number for [insert famous person] and every idiot watching it started calling it and Mrs Smith at 47 Acacia Avenue got very fed up of receiving millions of calls from TV-watching idiots all thinking they were calling the [famous person].

555 is not a geneuine area code so is prefectly safe to use.

No-one in any action film ever needs to eat, sleep, drink or go to the toilet outside of a dramatic scene.

bob_summers

captainsasquatch – Member
    That green VW Beetles were incredibly popular in San Fransico around the time Bullitt was being filmed

And Dodge Chargers had about eight hubcaps…

molgrips
    Free Member

Also another convention – whenever they change to a different interior scene, they *always* have to show a one second shot of the outside of the building first. Which I suppose is understandable, since you wouldn’t otherwise know you’d moved locations necessarily.

There are tons of these conventions. They make up a whole visual meta-language that’s common to all TV shows. Where you haven’t got time to explain everything in detail as you would in a book, it forms an essential extra channel of communication with the viewer to get your point across. Along with character conventions too – that you would otherwise call cliches.

Same with the incidental music. We all know certain music means certain things – that would take ages to explain visually or with dialogue.

molgrips
    Free Member

Has anyone else noticed that sound effects from 1990’s Rare produced games like Jet Force Gemini, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Banjo Kazooie are identical to those used a lot in film and TV…?

Yes – the bleep from XCOM: Enemy Unknown (the first one) comes up in loads of things. Not sure if the game took it from the standard sound effects library or the other way round.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

why do microphones always squawk with feedback when the main character picks them up?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Also, why all cars make a blip blip noise when you remotely lock or unlock them. So 1980’s.

Because…

555 was an agreed fictional area code, it means that they don’t have to worry about accidentally giving away a real persons telephone number, but more importantly not someone’s number than doesn’t exist at the time of filming – there are a lot of strange people in the US who struggle to separate fact from fiction – real grown up adult people who will try to call a fictional character given the chance.

The ‘blip blip’ thing is actually not that outdated in the US, my SILs car does it, it’s about 3 years old – it’s partly due to a inherent distrust in technology (we shouldn’t’ think that’s just a US thing, a lot of what we think are the sounds of mechanical things moving around are fake – cash-points for example could be completely silent, the ‘counting money’ noise is fake and the noise of central locking working is ‘optimised’) and partly to help the owner find their car in car parks etc. Okay it might be a US thing, they had ‘aerials’ on their mobiles long after they were functional.

And finally, the slight roll forward, US driver have always preferred automatics to manuals, and it’s not uncommon to just “put it in park” over there, it’s not meant to be used as a replacement for handbrake (some US driver still consider these to be manual ’emergency’ brakes) they sometimes roll a bit. It wasn’t long ago lots of US drivers would stop, put it in park and leave the engine running for quick stops – lots of videos of cars driving unmanned in circles with the dog who knocked the gearstick yapping away.

So there 😉

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

And that they go down hill, turn left, down hill, turn left and they’re still going down hill.

molgrips
    Free Member

555 was an agreed fictional area code

Not just the area code, the first three numbers of a 7 digit local number too.

Okay it might be a US thing, they had ‘aerials’ on their mobiles long after they were functional.

Not only – how many washing machines still have a rotary programme selector long after the original music-box style mechanical controller is obselete?

LimboJimbo

I went to see the new Bourne film the other day. What stuck me was the sounds coming from speeding vehicles all seemed to be created by 1970’s V8s. Fair enough for the scenes in Las Vegas, a bit odd in an Audi Q7 in Berlin and just plain bizarre in the Merc Sprinter when they get to London. Bwarrp!

beanum

And that they go down hill, turn left, down hill, turn left and they’re still going down hill.

If you’ve ever driven in San Francisco you’ll realise that they go through two or three wormholes so that “that” hill ends up next to “that” beach etc etc…

maccruiskeen

Oh and coffee cups.. yeah.. that’s just the tip of that iceberg. Once you start really looking, then tons of stuff is just bollocks. They are betting on you watching the actors who are delivering lines – so start by looking at the people who aren’t speaking.. or even the extras.. then look carefully around the rooms..

A film would have to be spectacularly dull to manage that though – the meat puppets are too interesting even when they’re rubbish. I go to screenings of things I’ve worked on and have a professional interest in looking around the edges of the people to check the things I’ve made and after 15 minutes you just zone out and start watching the film instead.

bob_summers

What’s the word for that? Eg a bell style electronic ring tone, or designing guis to look like brushed aluminium etc? My camera has a cheesy mirror slap and film advance sound effect even though it’s a digital compact…
    Was bugging me the other day.

jimjam
    Free Member

LimboJimbo
    . What stuck me was the sounds coming from speeding vehicles all seemed to be created by 1970’s V8s

I was just about to post this. Every car that goes fast in a film must have a petrol V8. Even the shitty Jeep Renegade Bruce Wayne hijacks at the start of Batshit v Sourman.

Anyaway. I would add every Steven Seagal fight scene ever. People shooting folk and things with hand guns over long range.

And one that really rustled my jimmies was in a recent episode of Game of Thrones where The Hound is cutting up a tree with an axe. Or rather, repeatedly smashing the same part of the trunk. Lovejoy walks over and says something like “ayyyy I’ve never seen a man swing an axe like you before”.

bob_summers

And the little two stroke scrambler in Terminator (2?) has about eighteen gears

DezB
    Free Member

Doesn’t even need words

Don’t even need binoculars in most films – they have, what me and my brother named, “Zoom lens eyes”. Oh who’s that in the distance..? ZOOOOOM!

holst
    Free Member

I also love how easy it is to knock someone unconscious with a single punch, but they wake up after a couple of minutes without any apparent ill effects.

maccruiskeen

Also, why is an eagle call necessary on any sweeping landscape shot?

[quote]
    It’s actually a red-tailed hawk sound. And it’s such a widespread convention that that sound automatically evokes the people struggling through desert concept wherever you hear it. My daughter bought a stuffed one that made that sound when squeezed, and it really was quite a bizarre mental discontinuity to keep hearing it in normal situations.[/quote]

Similarly theres a species of frog native to LA that can be heard in any deserted scene anywhere in the world. 🙂

Its stock sounds in factual TV that are quite funny – if you’re watching horse racing its impractical to have live sound of the far end of the track and all you’d actually hear is the engines of the tracking vehicles filming. So live coverage has had the same slowed down recording of stampeding buffalo for sound for decades.

If anyone is interested enough I’ll try and find the link to a radio doc about the guy who sound-designs the olympics coverage – absolutely mental the lengths they go to in sport. (And noticeably absent in this years olympics.) Things like the sound of paddles in the water in rowing or the swoosh of skis recorded days ahead and played along live with a sampler.

A sound recordist got a bafta for ‘The sound of the wimbledon tennis final’ a few years back.

I reckon the reason the the TDF is more watchable that the Vuelta is because the TDF sounds better.

stumpy01

jimjam – Member

I was just about to post this. Every car that goes fast in a film must have a petrol V8. Even the shitty Jeep Renegade Bruce Wayne hijacks at the start of Batshit v Sourman.

And the engine must be either accelerating or decelerating; you hardly ever hear a car engine at constant revs.
    Oh, and 32 speed gearboxes in car chases……

And indestructible tyres on cars that can be driven across kerbs at high speed without puncturing.

Fishtailing chase cars that manage to stay with high performance sports cars…..oh look, that ’82 pick-up is able to keep up with a Porsche 911 round those sharp corners….

fasthaggis

And the little two stroke scrambler in Terminator (2?) has about eighteen gears

Yeah,and its a 4 stroke XR 🙂

Mi2
    If you are going to do slo-mo of the bikes jumping over things,you must know that people are going to spot the tyre swaps.Unless there was a new MX sports bikes range from Triumph (Daytona and a Speed Triple) 🙂

sobriety
    Free Member

Yup, I was going to post motorbike engine noises, once movie dubs a bmw boxer twin with a 4-cylinder engine, drives me slightly nuts every time.

He’s just keeping the two-stroke in terminator on the pipe 😉

trickydisco
    Free Member

Anyone realised this same scream has been used on dozens of films
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbYsoEasio[/video]

maccruiskeen

What’s the word for that? Eg a bell style electronic ring tone, or designing guis to look like brushed aluminium etc? My camera has a cheesy mirror slap and film advance sound effect even though it’s a digital compact…
    Was bugging me the other day.

I know the one you mean – Its that word thats really easy to forget – and really hard to find with a google. And I only found took time to re-find it because I should be typing a tender document instead.

skeuomorphic

molgrips
    Free Member

A film would have to be spectacularly dull to manage that though

Works better on films you’ve seen a lot.

If anyone is interested enough I’ll try and find the link to a radio doc about the guy who sound-designs the olympics coverage

Me, I am! Ta 🙂

I also love how easy it is to knock someone unconscious with a single punch,

Sadly cannot seem to find the clip from Morons from Outer Space on Youtube 🙂

Re car chases – have a good look at how fast they are actually moving…

matt_outandabout

Tyre squeal sounds when a car is off-road.
    Few people lock their car when they leave it.

bencooper
    Free Member

Alien. Tagline; “In Space, No-one Can Hear You Scream”

Opening scene: the Nostromo rumbles through the vacuum of space…

slowoldman

Opening scene: the Nostromo rumbles through the vacuum of space..

That’s because maccruiskeen’s mate has added the soundtrack.

maccruiskeen

Me, I am! Ta

theres a precise version of it here – from there there was a link to a full length version of the original documentary thats available to download as an MP3- but the link now seems to be dead – I can upload the file somewhere if the short version tickles your tastebuds

http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/the-sound-of-sports/

EDIT actually – strike that – this is a re-issue of the podcast and now has the full doc in it rather than an edit

fasthaggis

skeuomorphic
    Thats my new word of the day,thanks for that maccruiskeen 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh, and people refer to all IT malware as a ‘virus’, when it’s usually some kind of rootkit exploit.

maccruiskeen

skeuomorphic
    Thats my new word of the day,thanks for that maccruiskeen

bookmark this page because you will forget it!

Cougar

I don’t know how you can tell it’s empty but it moves differently, or something & once you notice you can’t ‘not notice’ it.

Especially when they drink from a full cup by swigging it high enough to get a faceful.

How photographs turn out nice and sharp even though they were with a 400+mm lens minus tripod.

“Enhance!” – “ok!”

Anyone realised this same scream has been used on dozens of films

The Willhelm Scream is a bit of a running gag in the industry I believe.

I’ll add: constantly wiggling steering wheels whilst driving in a straight line.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘Things you notice on TV and in Films that make no sense’ is closed to new replies.