Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Things you know are inevitable but still surprise you when they happen…
  • jamj1974

We have a cat – got him from a rescue centre nearly 15 years ago. Apart from an early bladder problem he has been massively robust and rudely healthy. He’s been a brilliant wee man, loving, sociable, took the children in his stride and under his wing and enjoying being a part of everything we do at home – not your stereotypical cat, not aloof or distant.

In the last two weeks he has taken a massive downturn since getting some stuff in his fur and trying to wash it out. He now has kidney failure, isn’t eating and can’t walk properly. Tomorrow is probably the end of the road.

You always know it’s likely a pet will die before you and that they have short lives. You know it’s going to hurt when they die. Even with all that I’m still in bits here grieving for a friend I’m about to lose, a companion I’ve had for most of my adult life and a truly wonderful creature.

Not looking for any advice or feedback – just needed to write it down and get it off my chest.

jambourgie
    Free Member

🙁

Poor old Puss. At least he had a great life, and you can be proud of that. You’ll be happily reminiscing in no time.

drovercycles
    Free Member

Sorry to hear this. We got two kittens last summer – farm cats “rescued” from a barn – and they’ve gradually settled in and are giving us lots of pleasure. Not looking forward to the day we face what you’re facing right now.

As above, I’m sure you can be proud of the life you’ve given him and 15 years is a pretty decent innings.

toby1

A sad day indeed, but just think of the life he’s had and the things he’s seen.

alpin
    Free Member

Feel for you, dude. Still think of my cat I had to have put down. Really sucks.

My mum recently had her 15 year old dog put to sleep. She found a house vet who comes to your home saving you and the animal the stress of making the journey of death. Essex BTW.

jamj1974

Definitely getting a home visit. We want him to be comfortable and relaxed when the end comes. We have talked it through with the children too and they want to be with their friend and playmate to say goodbye.

Sitting with him next to me on a cushion as I type and in tears. I know he’s had a fantastic life and I know he has been as loved as any pet could hope to be. Just can’t believe this is it.

rickmeister

Mate, I feel for you as we have 3 fantastic adopted stray cats. Your wee man has had a great family to be part of.

But..

In the last two weeks he has taken a massive downturn since getting some stuff in his fur and trying to wash it out. He now has kidney failure, isn’t eating and can’t walk properly. Tomorrow is probably the end of the road.

I hope this isn’t a difficult local with a personal agenda…

Cougar

Totally feel for you.

I had a cat that lived to the age of 18, had her since I was a kid. Broke my heart to have her put down when her health failed. Telling that even now some ~15 years later it’s taken me five attempts to make this post.

wallop

😥

Cougar

Definitely getting a home visit.

Definitely do it.

Mine passed away in my arms in front of the fire. Least I could do after 18 years.

jamj1974

Thank you all for your kind words. Our boy Douglas passed away early this morning – dying peacefully in his sleep with his family all around him.

He’s gone but he will never be forgotten.

jamj1974

Got my sums wrong earlier on – nearly 16 years not 15 as I said.

Houns

Poor little kitty 😥

julianwilson
    Free Member

🙁

As a vaguely on-topic thread-title-answwering aside, one of my old long-gone cats used to watch the toaster in the mornings- clearly expecting the toast to pop up at some point, and then always jumped a foot in the air in suprise when it finally did. 🙂 OP i am sure in time you will enjoy lots of happy memories without the sadness you have now.

sweepy
    Free Member

Theres a difference between a cat that just turns up for food every day and one which you bond with. The three we have now don’t care if we are here or not so long as the window is open and the foodbowl full, and thats fair enough. The last cat that enjoyed having us around went out a few years ago and never came back. I miss her.
    Sorry for your loss.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’m sorry for your loss, jamj1974-

MartynS

Sounds like he had a fairly good innings..

You’ve not got lilies in the house have you?????

jamj1974

No, we haven’t.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about this jj74. 🙁 We have two cats, one of whom is getting on a bit now…mid teens and shows his age some days; bit stiff walking around, prefers to snooze rather than mess around. I fear the day, whenever it is, he’s been such an awesome cat. Sounds like yours had a great life though and a good innings – you can’t ask for more than that as an owner or as a pet.

bob_summers

Chin up, you gave him the best life.

My parents didn’t like cats so when I got my first digs aged 18 I adopted four of them. The last of those died on Christmas Eve last year at a ripe old age. She survived moving to various cities then emigrating, a mauling by a big London rat, stowing away in the engine bay of my car then showing up at work several weeks later, but the arthritis got her in the end. Cats can go on for so long – I was an apprentice when she arrived, and was she still there when I got married, divorced, became a dad. Miss them all.

jamj1974

Thank you everyone.

jamj1974

Took Douglas to the pet crematorium this afternoon. Was really very hard to take him out of the house knowing this was our last journey together. I sat with him at the crematorium for about 1/2 an hour – maybe a little more. Very tough indeed giving him his last fuss and saying goodbye.

Your thoughts and words and sharing of experiences means a lot. Thank you from all of us here as Douglas’s family who have read your responses together. We know we’ve lost a valued loved one but the small gestures made by others do help a little. Thank you all again and our best wishes to your and yours whether human or animal.

Take care,

Jay

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Things you know are inevitable but still surprise you when they happen…’ is closed to new replies.