Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Things to see and do of an evening in…..Stockport…
  • tomhoward

I’m being Stockport with for work for the next 2 weeks during the week, anything worth doing? No bike though 🙁

As exciting as pulling myself around my hotel room sounds, ill go postal if that’s all there is, so, any good pubs, bars, clubs or restaurants?

SaxonRider

As in THE Stockport?

Best of luck.

From the Idler:

Stockport is a small town in South Manchester. Much of Engels’ research for Marx’s Communist Manifesto was based on the apalling working conditions in the town’s hat mills. And to be honest it’s gone down hill ever since.

The overiding ‘look’ for Stockport’s locals is a shaven head with optional Fila cap / visor perched on top, a Reebok shell suit the legs of which are tucked into a pair of overpowering patterned socks and a pair of Rockport, Timberland or Kicker boots. Gold jewellry is popular, usually incorporating sovereigns and / or Marijuana leaf motifs. The male uniform is fairly similar.

tomhoward

Smashing 😕

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

the plaza cinema looks great, got to be worth visiting that a couple of nights

360 Degree Tour

Garry_Lager

The bevvying opportunities are outstanding – several alehouses of repute in Stockport. The Crown under the viaduct is the pick of the bunch (often referred to as one of the best in G Manchester) and the Magnet up the A6 a little bit is also top drawer (CAMRA pub of the region last year). Pushing out from Stockport into the Heatons the Nursery is also v good.

The Railway and The Arden Arms are another good pair of boozers that are close together in Stockport (there’s another pub called the railway opposite the Magnet that is OK but not really worth a visit IMHO).

Away from the bevvying there’s not much I can think of to recommend in particular – my interests are narrow, though, so I’m sure someone else can think of different stuff. Piccadilly is 11 minutes on the train and you’re in central Manchester. You could get the train into the Peak v easily as well if you wanted to bring your hiking boots.

tomhoward

Piccadilly is 11 minutes on the train and you’re in central Manchester.

I see this in my future….

monksie
    Free Member

Art galleries, museums, theatres, cinemas, bars, pubs, country walks, country parks, parks, roman dig, sculpture and round house at Mellor Church, canoeing (you can hire all the gear you need), friendly cyclist (who will lend you a bike and show you some great on and off road rides), climbing wall, cycle speedway, gyms, sports halls, athletics track…..
    Sink estates, 1970’s designed and not very attractive town centre, traffic issues on the A6, its fair share of chav inhabitants, me ….
    Not The Garden of Eden but not Dante’s 3rd level either
    Same as just about every other edge of a large city town in the UK but let’s not spoil it for the gobshite, predictable bores more vocal haters on here.

Bregante

Wot Monksie says. If you can get hold of a spare bike from someone off here, you’re laughing. Some great riding to be had right from the centre.

Duggan

Well it’s about 12mins away from Manchester city centre on train (and there are loads every hour) so you could easy spend an evening in Manchester.

I think there are walking tours of the local underground air raid shelters from WW2 which are supposed to be good, if I remember correctly.

As above though, I can reccomend the Crown under the arches.

khani
    Free Member

Hire an armoured Landrover and drive through Brinnington pretending your a reporter in Beirut..

buck53

+1 for The Plaza, it’s a really great experience. Can’t say I’ve done much in Stockport other than that, so the only other advice I could give would be Manchester based.

RustySpanner

Stockport is NOT in Manchester.

It’s in Cheshire (well, most of it used to be), therefore it’s in the Midlands. 🙂
    And frankly, they’re welcome to it. 😉

I used to pop down there occaisionally to visit The Crown and Decathlon.
    But there’s a Decathlon in Bolton now so I don’t really bother.

Nice Viaduct.

IHN

It’s in Cheshire (well, most of it used to be), therefore it’s in the Midlands

The Midlands starts at Crewe. Or the North starts at Crewe if you’re going the other way 😉

Anyway, what Monksie said.

RustySpanner

To be honest, when I was growing up I always thought Stockport was a bit posh. 😐

monksie – Member

Art galleries, museums, theatres, cinemas, bars, pubs, country walks, country parks, parks, roman dig, sculpture and round house at Mellor Church, canoeing (you can hire all the gear you need), friendly cyclist (who will lend you a bike and show you some great on and off road rides), climbing wall, cycle speedway, gyms, sports halls, athletics track…..
    Sink estates, 1970’s designed and not very attractive town centre, traffic issues on the A6, its fair share of chav inhabitants, me ….
    Not The Garden of Eden but not Dante’s 3rd level either
    Same as just about every other edge of a large city town in the UK but let’s not spoil it for the gobshite, predictable bores more vocal haters on here.

He’s right, of course.

But to many on here, The North seems to consist solely of Didsbury and Wilmslow. 😀

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

Hire an armoured Landrover and drive through Brinnington pretending your a reporter in Beirut..

khani, i’m curious (seriously) if you have ever been to Brinnington? There isn’t much money there, but I cycle through it every day, and I have never had any trouble, even in tight fluorescent clothing 🙂
    Houses and gardens are generally kempt too, which is usually a good indicator.

IHN

when I was growing up I always thought Stockport was a bit posh

Wow, really? Not even Monksie thinks Stockport’s posh, and he’s still amazed by indoor plumbing 😉

grum
    Free Member

Train to Piccadilly then wander over to the Northern Quarter and drink expensive beer with hipsters (actually quite fun).

RustySpanner

IHN – Member

Wow, really? Not even Monksie thinks Stockport’s posh, and he’s still amazed by indoor plumbing

Really. 🙂

I did grow up in Blackley and Moston, though. 😀

portlyone

Isn’t there a Lambourghini show room in Stocky? That’s several hours right there!

EDIT: oooh… http://goo.gl/maps/1n7r0

Other than that… train into Manchester or elsewhere.

khani
    Free Member

khani, i’m curious (seriously) if you have ever been to Brinnington? There isn’t much money there, but I cycle through it every day, and I have never had any trouble, even in tight fluorescent clothing

Oh yes, many many times, not since a notorious gangster was shot though, it was a war zone then but things have settled down since I’m told. If your in tight flouro clothing they probably think your a Laydee…
    I may have been a bit tongue in cheek with my comment..

monksie
    Free Member

You hurt me Mr Nettles….every time, a metaphorical punch to the face 🙂

That notorious gangster took his last breath in Marple. The Police went to my brothers house in Brinnington within an hour of the incident. One of their prime suspects apparently. Wasn’t him though. He was in Wakefield jail in the 2nd year of his 8 for armed and aggravated robbery.

IHN

Aw, you know I’m only teasing 🙂

I hear they even have electric light in Offerton these days 😉

khani
    Free Member

I hear they even have electric light in Offerton these days

Well weed doesn’t grow in the dark you know..

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Things to see and do of an evening in…..Stockport…’ is closed to new replies.