Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • things to see and do in Prague?
  • taka
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m off to Prague on thursday for the weekend I’ve never been before so what is there to see/do any recommendations

Cheers Tom

xiphon
    Free Member

I’m hopefully going there in about a week or so too – first time…

Will be interested to hear from people what they recommend…

unklehomered
    Free Member

The old town is worth a bodge around for just beauty and stuff. Also, ride the underground. They have the steepest most terrifying escalators I’ve ever encountered. (though was carrying stupidly heavy rucksacks at the time). But it did seem an ‘exciting’ experience. 10 years ago, they may have upgraded it now.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Getting booked up for January so will keep an eye on this.

crispo
    Free Member

I lived there for a few years when I was younger, but went back 2 years ago as I took my GF as a birthday present.

Some of my tips would be just to walk around the old town. Walk Wencelas Square to Old Town square. Walk along the river to the National Opera house.

Go over Charles Bridge and up to the Castle, you get great views of the city from up there, also worth a look around is St Vitus Cathedral.

There is also a tower at the top of Petrin hill that has the best views of the whole city. You can either walk up or get the fenicular train.

Getting around wise the Trams are really good for getting round, good way of seeing the sights and getting around quickly.

Drink plenty of the local beer – I like Krusovice. Sample the local cuisine – The dumplings are actually really good.

Buy a guide book is the best tip though because as you walk round theres so many things youll wonder what they are that the guide is a great idea.

xiphon
    Free Member

mrs xiphon loves bones and stuff… so this is the main reason we’re going..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedlec_Ossuary

crazy-legs

Do NOT order coffee/beer in the Old Town Square (opposite the astronomical clock). The prices are more astronomical than the clock!

LOADS to see and do though – way too much architecture to mention, the whole city is stunning. Best bet is just to pick up the Lonely Planets guidebook to the place to be honest and see what catches your interest. It’s also good to have on you as you wander round and think “ooh, what’s that?”
    Randomly, we ended up visiting the Museum of Medieval Torture near Charles Bridge which was fascinating in a kind of macabre way (we were just walking to Charles Square one evening and happened to pass it, it looked interesting so we went in, it wasn’t a planned visit!)

We used the metro and trams to get around which were cheap, quick and spotlessly clean. You can buy a kind of travelcard thing for them.

warton
    Free Member

I went on a stag do there, about 12 years ago. I bought drugs from a one armed man. You probably don’t want to do that.

xiphon
    Free Member

He had one arm, and you ended up legless. Ba-dum-tsh.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Just general mooching around and checking out the sights, as said above, the boat trips are interesting too. Prague is a great place to spot movie and video scenes. It’s nine years since I was last there, but would love to go back.

Nobby

As all of the above really – just don’t order an absinthe even if you have drunk it elsewhere & think you can handle it. 😳

avdave2

Here is worth a trip and even better if you can get out to Lidice.

vorlich
    Free Member

We went to a recital at the Synagogue. See also, sex parties.

MadPierre

Well worth a trip up the hill to the castle and park.

Wander a few streets back from the touristy streets for quality “local” bars.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘things to see and do in Prague?’ is closed to new replies.