Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Things to say to get rid of cold callers / door knockers
  • dannybgoode

Sort of inspired by the thread on stupid things companies do – what are people’s tips for getting rid of cold callers / door knockers.

My favourite – when the door to door electricity sellers show up apologise and explain that your house is all gas.

Really confuses them…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you need to speak to the landlord

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

“did you read the sign that said no cold callers?”

althepal

I was on nightshift a while back and some idiot rattled the door like a copper so I put on my wifes pink housecoat, swung the door open and snarled “what”??
    His reply was sorry mate as he turned round and went back up the path.
    I might not have tied the housecoat btw..

johndoh
    Free Member

LOL!

wordnumb
    Free Member

Say nothing, just stare at them with a blank expression until they retreat.

djglover
    Free Member

Charge them to speak to you:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23869462

bigsurfer
    Free Member

I tell them that my wife is just about to give birth in the living room, it was correct once and seems to get rid of them pretty rapidly.

fasthaggis

I put on my wifes pink housecoat, swung the door open and snarled “what”??

Full lycra works the same 😉

flyingmonkeycorps

I’m usually really polite at first and just tell them I’m not interested, ‘cos it must be a horrible job to have to do.

I once nearly punched a LoveFilm bloke in town though, I politely explained that we watched very little TV and preferred to read or go for a walk, and when we wanted to watch a film we were quite happy to buy it or pop to Blockbusters but he just wouldn’t leave me alone. I think I called him something quite rude.

Danny, do you still ride at Wharncliffe / Greno? Think we’re heading down this Saturday

cranberry
    Free Member

“Mother! Unleash the honey badgers!”

patriotpro
    Free Member

Tell them you are just burgling the house so in a bit of a rush…

Junkyard
    Free Member

No thanks
    Shut door

nicko74

“Can you make it quick? I’m in the middle of dismembering a body. Actually… you’ve got strong arms, can you give me a hand?”

I’m usually really polite at first and just tell them I’m not interested, ‘cos it must be a horrible job to have to do.

True, guilt does kick in quite quickly 🙁

rocketman
    Free Member

^^ this

What a crap job it must be. Why make it any worse by being rude or trying to be a smartarse

flyingmonkeycorps

Unless they’re pushy / arsey with me, in which case they deserve what they get!

johnellison
    Free Member

If I can’t think of a smart arse response, I just say that I’m just a house-sitter and that the owners are abroad for X months/years/centuries.

GolfChick
    Free Member

We have an official issued ‘don’t call or we’ll report you’ stickers. I’ve seen a few people now see it and turn right around. In fact we don’t get any cold callers now!

Coyote
    Free Member

They are only doing a job so I try and be polite to a point.

Cold callers – explain that I am on TPS, usually works.

Door knockers – smile, “no thanks” and slowly start to close door.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Had an interesting moment when I opened the door to a jehovah’s witness (oap) lady in just my undercrackers on a saturday morning.

Judging by her reaction i’m a lost cause.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Do you do a discount for dss?

warton
    Free Member

Just say

“No thanks, bye now” smile and close the door.

Never really had a problem with it tbh

letmetalktomark

patriotpro – Member
    Tell them you are just burgling the house so in a bit of a rush..

I did this once and the chap went on to call the police.

I was at a mates house.

Oh how we laughed 😳

scud
    Free Member

My mate Matt had Jehovah’s witness round one day, he told them that he really wanted to hear what they had to say, but was off to work and asked if they would come back tomorrow which they duly did.

Over night he had got some old bedsheets and painted satanic symbols on them and hung them from the lounge walls and added a nice touch of a dead blackbird he had found in a bowl on the table, he said they took one look and ran out!

patriotpro
    Free Member

I did this once and the chap went on to call the police.

Oops 😆

joshvegas
    Free Member

I once opened the door to a JW wasnt particularly happy about it but then it dawned on me she was one of the most beautiful girls I had ever seen, it caught me so unaware I sort of stood there open mouthed grunted upon receiving my copy of dead tree and shut the door.

Fingers crossed for a second coming.

vickypea
    Free Member

I find that “sorry I don’t actually live here” works well! If it’s JWs, I tend to tell them all about Orthodoxy, which often keeps them away for a while!

piemonster

Go away.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Invite them in for coffee that’ll fox ehm

ski
    Free Member

A few years back, I was having treatment with strong doses of steroids, this made me quite/very short tempered, me being a chilled out sort of person, was quite a change for people around me to manage.

So one morning, just before 8am, we had a double glazing rep call to our door.

I lost the plot completely, at the door with him, sure the whole street could here me swearing at him.

My wife, calmly pulled me away from the door and calmly said to the guy at the door.

‘I am sorry, my husband is on drugs’ then shut the door

😐

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’m doing a charity ride in October and the charity has sent me a collection tin. If anyone comes to the door between now and then I’m gonna rattle my tin at them.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

What are you wearing? Lipstick and stained underpants? Me too, nothing else, Wanna know what I’m…

cozz
    Free Member

mate of mine had a telephone sales call

said “Im so glad you phoned me, Im halfway through having a w**k – what are you wearing ?”
    way to get rid of them, esp if its true

bearnecessities

Knock-Knock

*Open door*

“You call this prompt? The agency said you’d be here in an hour….”

*slight pause*

“Nice uniform though”

“Come in”

“Now”

j3w3ll3r
    Free Member

I usually let my10stone Douge De Bourdeux speak to them…….

Normally they try somewhere else within 3 seconds…

samuri
    Free Member

I usually give them a polite no thanks.

The pushy ones who won’t take no for an answer get increasingly rude responses.

woody21
    Free Member

Luckily we don’t get door knockers. With regards to the phone I let them say a couple of words and then I say “it’s done, he’s dead and there is blood everywhere” and wait for a response, oddly they put the phone down on me

ratherbeintobago

Slightly passive aggressive, but one of my colleagues recommends repeating, in a calm voice, to whatever they say “I’m sorry, I don’t deal with cold callers” until they take the hint and FO.

This works suprisingly well.

mick_r

We already support a couple of charities (ones that don’t doorstep).

So when someone in a charity bib calls round, I politely steer conversation to one of the charities I support and ask if they fancy putting their bank details on the blank dd form I keep by the front door. Funnily enough they suddenly seem keen to leave…..

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

A good one to get rid of Jehovas Witnesses is to say sorry I’m a blood donor therefore our beliefs are incompatible .

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Things to say to get rid of cold callers / door knockers’ is closed to new replies.