• This topic has 22 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by cbike.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Things to do in glasgow
  • vondally
    Free Member

Hi have two days following work on a Mon and a tuesday in March free in Glasgow, what is there to do please. Thanks and usual answers re drugs and other nefarious pursuits are out! Something cultural would be nice.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Transport museum is pretty good. As is the science museum if you have kids

vondally
    Free Member

Cheers no kids just me and possibly SO…..transport musuem sounds good

squirrelking
    Free Member

Not nearly as good as the old one but not as bad as you expect.

Kelvingrove museum and art gallery.
    Hunterian museum and gallery
    Glasgow museum of modern art (GOMA)
    St Mungo’s museum of religious art
    CCA (centre for contemporary arts)
    GFT (Glasgow film theatre)
    Numerous theatres
    Etc.

drslow
    Free Member

Burrell Collection at Pollok Park is ok, as is GOMA in the city centre. Plenty of shopping options as well for the SO. I was a bit disappointed with the TM. Best would be Kelvingrove Art Gallery in the West End, plus plenty of boutique shopping and restaurants there.

matt_outandabout

Two days? Take the train to somewhere properly out in the hills – Arrochar, Crianlarich or Rannoch for a day out, some walks and pedals from all (particularly Arrochar for riding, Glen Loin route)

bearnecessities

what is there to do please.

If you’re into adrenaline sports, try driving about the place.

matt_outandabout

You could also come to Stirling, with bike and do the Dumyat route from this months magazine…

HughStew

Burrell Collection at Pollok Park is ok

Opinions vary but I think it’s the best museum in the country. It’s an extraordinary and eclectic collection ranging from ancient Egyptian artefacts to impressionist paintings, housed in a rather wonderful adaptation of a country house.

The Necropolis is good too.

And while you’re there go to some good restaurants, plenty about in West End or Merchant City.

Lucky you, it’s my favourite city in the country.

vondally
    Free Member

Thanks no sports as such due to illness, alas.museums and galleries sound good though

kcal

used to love Kelvingrove Museum and the huge (when you’re a kid) ship models. Are they now in the Transport Museum? Is that still in Albert Street or has it moved?

alanl
    Free Member

Transport Museum has now moved to the side of the Clyde where the Kelvin joins it.
    It’s got s big sailing ship outside now.
    Oh, and it isnt the transport museum any more, it’s the ‘Riverside’.
    What has happened to the old site now?
    And the Kelvin Hall?
    They looked worse for wear when I last went past a few years ago.

squirrelking
    Free Member

The Kelvin Hall us being refurbished (as in, the whole lot) into a learning centre and the relocation of the Hunterian collections. Going to be huge.

Agree the Burrell collection is fantastic, somehow keeps my interest more than Kelvingrove.

kcal

happy days of the circus and Christmas fair at the KH when dad and I came down from the sticks to visit relatives 🙂

geoffj

Riverhill coffee bar
    Kelvingrove cafe

maccruiskeen

Is that still in Albert Street or has it moved?

Wake up granddad – it hasn’t been there since the 80’s! The venue became ‘Tramway’ for Glasgows Year of Culture in 1990 and has been a huge contemporary art gallery and theatre venue ever since

and the huge (when you’re a kid) ship models. Are they now in the Transport Museum?

the ship models are now swanning around the upper floor of the new Transport Museum / Riverside on a conveyer belt like a giant nautical Yo Sushi. 🙂

Riverhill coffee bar

just round the corner (near Carluccios) is a small restaurant by the same folk – breakfasts are amazing.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Some of the models are on the belt but not all. Quite a few bikes from the Commonwealth Games as well plus the Old Faithful movie props.

lambchop
    Free Member

Monorail Records/Mono Cafe. Go buy some tunes from Stephen Pastel and have a bite.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Shuffle into the anatomy museum at Glasgow uni. It’s tiny, yet horrifying and fascinating

squirrelking
    Free Member

Are the work days the Mon Tue? If so the uni might still do trips up the spire on Wednesday afternoons, good view up there…

vondally
    Free Member

No work days the preceding 5 then two paid days off…..in Glasgow????

Thanks for the replies

kcal

Pastels !! that takes me back!

cbike
    Free Member

The Burrell might be shut by then? and is certainly winding down for a 4 year refurb so is not at its best at the moment.

These are two wee gems not many people know about

http://www.sharmanka.com

http://www.britanniapanopticon.org/

Summerlee also worth a look for fred dibnahs and the agricutlural museum at east Kilbride.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in glasgow’ is closed to new replies.