Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • things to do whilst incapacitated?
  • ton

serious question, if all you had ever done was cycled or payed sport all your like, to the extent of no other interests or hobbies, what would you do to pass your time whilst out of action?

anagallis_arvensis

Masterbate

scotroutes

Pokemon Go (ah – mibbe not)

Read, listen to music, study, learn to play an instrument, travel (within the restrictions of your immobility), go nature watching etc.

When does this start anyway – I assume it’s work on your ankle?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jekkyl

vigoursly every hour

ton

– I assume it’s work on your ankle?

it is mate, going in a week on friday.

anagallis_arvensis

I’m currently incapacitated after almost cutting my leg off with a chainring. Have been lent a ps4 for the duration. TBH they are not that much fun but its better than homes under the hammer!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Read. Learn a language, Learn Guitar. (So much the same as @scotroutes suggestions)

Service bikes.

Do not waste even more time on STW 😳

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Masterbate

Eyed lurn two spel.

anagallis_arvensis

I was just getting round the swear filter….bring out the BAN HAMMER!!

Suggsey
    Free Member

A weeks time I’ll be in the same boat but as mines upper body, I’m having one pair of trainers replaced with elastic by my good lady and will be walking lots, then maybe jogging once I can use my shoulder again before going back to being a gym monkey using the weights to build everything back up for strength and symmetry.
    Unless it goes tits up then it’s coke and hookers for me 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Learn a language

English, perhaps. 🙂

Besides, I don’t think that masturbate is caught in the swear filter. **** isn’t, either, which is a ****** **** of a ******* ****.

ton

i am seriously dreading the layoff. 10 week in plaster, and another month before even contemplating cycle is what i have been told.

regarding learning something, i never realised how much a simpleton/caveman i am…..i can do nothing except ride my sodding bike, and nothing else interests me.

i need help…….. 😕

olly2097
    Free Member

Fractured my humerus on Minton batch 6 weeks ago.
    Put on about 6kg by eating due to boredom and generally being in pain if I do anything physical with my arm.

Got a whole lounge/diner to plaster as well.

Sucks

scotroutes

it is mate, going in a week on friday.[/quote]Anything to miss the BB200 eh?

Motorised wheelchairs being considered yet?

ton

Motorised wheelchairs being considered yet?

been looking around to see if i can hire and handcycle.

re the bearbones, emailed Stu earlier to give up my place, so if you know anyone who wants a spot, they can have mine for free.

anagallis_arvensis

10 week in plaster,

Jesus what you having done? I’m on 2 weeks so far with another week to go. Its dull.

ton

Jesus what you having done?

getting my ankle fused and a huge growth of bone removed

P-Jay
    Free Member

2 days sofa rest after the snip I tore through The Wire for the 3rd time and everything decent on Netflix.

10 months after I broke my arms was shit though, lost my mind.

swanny853

so if you know anyone who wants a spot, they can have mine for free.

On list, hopefully waiting for email from bb hq now!

My coping plan for any potential incapacity is- catch up on all bike maintenance, catch up on some books, buy a raspberry pi and do some tinkering. If i run out of that, start fixing other peoples bikes. Or go mad.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Write a period novel incorporating quantum entanglement where the chief protagonists are 1. A medieval thief and charlatan – and 2. A present-day hip-hop super-star?

Lots of Tomb Raider?

Learn cello?

Become very good at video-editing?

Learn how to paint a watercolour landscape

Make a model of Salisbury Cathedral with matchsticks and PVA?

Discover tantric auto-eroticism?

Watch ‘Rear Window’

Spy on neighbours a la ‘Rear Window’

*Edit – Maybe don’t combine some of these.

scotroutes

Lego?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

huge growth of bone

and then….

Discover tantric auto-eroticism?

😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Test cricket

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

MMO Turbo

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Flower arranging? Crochet? Pottery? Dwarf pron?

cloudnine
    Free Member
    Pickers

Buy some maps of foreignland and plan next years tour

qwerty
    Free Member

Have a good play around on https://www.bikecad.ca & design the bike you want. Then find someone to build it.

pictonroad

I was confined to quarters after eye surgery, only 4 days so it’s not *really* comparable, but I made a Tamiya lunch box rc car and caught up on a box set or two. This adequately passed the time.

I don’t know how much money you have, if the answer is plenty get one of those Lego Porsche GT3’s and ration yourself.

hooli

I guess it depends how you feel after the op. If you are in pain and drugged up, you’ll want to be in bed with you ankle up so pick a few good box sets or something that interests you on telly.

After that, and when you start feeling better, model building, woodwork or something where you can sit comfortably most of the time.

When you feel a lot better, you can start thinking about something more active like a handbike or some weights.

Just take it steady and see how you feel. I had ankle ligament surgery a few years ago and I was in bed a lot longer than I was expecting. It was just too sore to have the leg down with the blood rushing to it.

stewartc
    Free Member

Broke my collarbone on June 1st so have had the last 6-7 weeks not able to ride or run, not exactly incapacitated but close enough for me. I have used the time available to read and upgrade some work skills (Cisco/PMP) which is useful as the injury coincided with me being ‘between jobs’. With access to the internet, there a whole world of ways to kill time, be educated or just plain entertained.

Dark-Side

I had ankle surgery 10 days ago after breaking my tibia and fibula at the Maegavalandhe on 8th July. I’ve another 4 or so weeks in a cast if it all heals the way it should before it comes off in September. I cam still work, but I’m learning German whilst I am lying on the sofa on evenings and weekends.

I never want to go through this agin but when you consider what happened to Jack Sims in the Alps and his brilliant attitude towards his life changing injuries, I’m merely inconvenienced for a while.

egb81
    Free Member

After knee surgery last year I had grand plans of learning Japanese during the lay off. Instead I spent most of the time in a daze, doped up to the gills on Tramadol or Oxycodone. I did learn how to bake a pretty decent loaf of bread once I was off the drugs though. So baking is a pretty good option.

ton

one of those Lego Porsche GT3’s

just had a look at that….bloody impressive. looks a bit too fiddly for my fat fingers.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Buy a wee drone off ebay, with loads of extra batteries, spend all day flying it round the house.

andywoodall
    Free Member

I found myself in this situation in September 2015. Broken tib/fib and suddenly going from constant activity (work, biking, whatever) to sweet FA with my leg elevated for 20+ hours a day during the initial recovery.

To be frank, the first few days were a bit of shock, someone who has never had to do it might imagine it was suddenly very relaxing to kick back and watch all those box sets you’ve been meaning to start but actually I found myself rather glum as the reality sunk in that this was going to be the next few months of my life. I’m quite a positive person and I found it tough to process at first.

Don’t get me wrong, I certainly sat there thinking how lucky I was and how mentally I’d be dealing with it if I was suffering a more permanent injury. I’m not going to sit here and say it was hard, but certainly that first week or so was an adjustment, not being able to work, not being able to do all but basic house things plus having in your mind the guidance of the doctors; at on point one of them said I wouldn’t be biking regularly until the Spring. I didn’t know that was probably a pessimistic view, so when someone says that it all comes as a bit of a shock.

In the end, once I’d done the usual leisure things to fill the time (I read vast numbers of books, something I don’t find much time for normally but love to read and worked my way through all the films I love the most that I hadn’t seen in awhile) you start to look for opportunities to fill time. I did a few house paperwork bits, admin, non urgent stuff you always put off. I built Lego, I ate (a lot – too much), I made contact with friends I had lapsed contact with, I got hooked on Instagram (and stopped using Twitter), I thought and I slept. I slept a lot!

After I’d gotten a little bored of the fun stuff (and watched every good MTB video on YouTube) I started to think more seriously, I looked at my career, I thought more about the future, I made lists (serious and fun ones) and I planned what I’d do when life returned to normal. I bought a new frame (The Process 134 I’d wanted when I’d changed bikes last and couldn’t quite afford), changed my bike set up a bit and ordered some shiny to suit.

In the end it was about three months of very nearly no activity (lay on the sofa) and two months of slowly building activity to the point where at that fifth month since coming off the bike I was back on and riding and at work.

I look back now, 11 months on and I view it as a pretty positive experience. Its somewhat trite to say but it did change me, and especially changed how I thought about the future. Nearly a year on I’ve started my own business and am engineering myself out of my current career. Would I have done that if I hadn’t had that time to step back and evaluate what was important? I’ll never know, but I’m glad it happened.

I wish you the best of luck, my only advice would be to take it slow (Jim from Enduro Mag did his ankle in just after me and I remember being amazed at his recovery time, I’m too much of a wuss to push as fast as he did and as I sit here I’m happy with the amount of time it took, I’ve had no ill effects since riding), make the most of the opportunity and stay positive.

whitestone
    Free Member

After an altercation with a Peugeot 405 estate I was in much the same fix.

Find a variety of things you would like to learn. In my case it was pre-internet so I learnt to touch type – a couple of hours a day is all you need. A musical instrument perhaps.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“i am seriously dreading the layoff. 10 week in plaster, and another month before even contemplating cycle is what i have been told.

regarding learning something, i never realised how much a simpleton/caveman i am…..i can do nothing except ride my sodding bike, and nothing else interests me.

i need help……..”

But I thought you were happy and content, at being bored? 😉

As others have said something intellectually stimulating to help with the inevitable boredom. But a long lay off will seriously affect your fitness, so it’s very important to find something to do that gives you a bit of a workout, raises your heart rate etc. Masturbation can only achieve so much here, unless you’re a teenager. Very difficult with a leg out of action, but will you be in a wheelchair? Being as mobile as possible is key to a good recovery. Look at it as a challenge, not a setback.

I’d suggest swimming, if you can get access to a pool. Most have facilities for people with injuries/disabilities. Make enquiries locally. And try to look at ways of relieving stress (no, not more masturbation!), and relaxing. Meditation, music etc. Good luck and hope you recover quickly.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Plastic model kits.

Streetfighter your motorbike -that’s what I did when I was out of action for 3 months a few years ago. Putting it all back to normal when I sold it was a bit of a pain, though…

twisty

See if you can work your way up to 1000 sit ups a day.
    Pair it with a bit of singing and maybe you could be the next pop sensation.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘things to do whilst incapacitated?’ is closed to new replies.