• This topic has 20 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by mt.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Things to do near Denver when you are alive
  • DavidB
    Free Member

I’ve spawnily landed a week in August to do what I want bike wise from Denver.

I’ve done Moab/Fruita a few times before, so looking for some other ideas. Which areas should I head to given I’ve got 5-6 days?

dantsw13

Winter Park and Copper Mountain ski resorts open as mtb resorts with lifts in the summer.

leffeboy

Crested Butte?

mattjg
    Free Member

Reference noted.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o33–xgYFQY[/video]

dantsw13

The I70 interstate runs west from Denver through the Rockies. Within 2-3 hrs driving of Denver are some great ski resorts, most of which would be open for mtb in the summer.
    If you are a roadie too, there are some great tracks from Downtown Denver to Golden and Boulder.

sailor74
    Free Member

Ride the Flatirons…..Boulder is such a cool town.

As already mentioned there are lots of great destinations in the rockies such as Crested Butte and Aspen, but depends how far you wan to travel, both of these are around a 3.5-4 hours drive.

You will need to organise a hire car though, unless you are sticking to road riding, in which case both Denver and Boulder are considered to be in the top 20 bike friendly cities in the US (Boulder has been top 3 for a few years).

Whatever you do its an awesome destination for any out doors type person. Just recently got back from there myself, didnt manage to ride but did a lot of trail running/hiking.

If you do go up into the Rockies just be aware of altitude sickness, anything over around 8000ft could start to take its toll. Both my wife and I suffered driving over the pass (11000ft) en route to Moab.

leffeboy

And if you go for a big ride remember to carry lots of water. Obvious I know but the distances are just that much bigger and it’s easy to get caught out. Brilliant place to go

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Ride the Flatirons…..Boulder is such a cool town.

There aren’t any Mountain Bike trails on the Flatirons.

Do you want Lift accessed or self-propelled? I’ve lived in Colorado for the last three years, so I can give you plenty of recommendations should you need them.
    Lift accessed:
    1. Winter Park
    2. Sol Vista
    3. Keystone

Self-propelled:
    1. Salida
    2. Crested Butte
    3. Breckenridge

(not necessarily in that order)

DavidB
    Free Member

I’ve got a car, I’m pretty jey so looking for lots of all mountain type stuff that I can ride without a guide.

sailor74
    Free Member

There aren’t any Mountain Bike trails on the Flatirons.

There are plenty in and around, like the “Flatirons Vista” trail for example, not exactly ‘all mountain’ riding though so probably not appropriate, however you wouldnt need a guide.

http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/files/openspace/pdf_maps/NewTrails.pdf

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I’ve got a car, I’m pretty jey so looking for lots of all mountain type stuff that I can ride without a guide.

Put the Monarch Crest trail on your list. Its a shuttle-able 40 mile downhill, leaving from Salida. Absolute Bikes in Salida is a fantastic shop, and the trails there are the unknown gems in Colorado. Fantastic riding. Salida is also only 1.5 hrs from Crested Butte, and together those two towns would keep you occupied for your whole stay.
    Not sure how to recommend rides in Crested Butte, as I’ve never done a bad one. I think the iconic 401 trail should be experienced, as its a classic, but perhaps my favourite is Doctors Park.

Hopefully that will give you enough info to google with, but if you need more info just ask.

There are plenty in and around, like the “Flatirons Vista” trail for example, not exactly ‘all mountain’ riding though so probably not appropriate, however you wouldnt need a guide.

I really hope you’ve just pulled that map off the internets, because if you’d ridden that trail, you wouldn’t be recommending it as a worthy way to spend one out of 6 days in Colorado. (I have lived in Boulder for three years!)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@David “jey” is that a Spanish pronunciation, are you trying to tell us something ?

I think Yeti are based there, they have some fantastic videos on Vimeo featuring Colorado. I do understand it ‘kin ‘ot in the summer

Edit / update

[video]http://vimeo.com/62378919[/video]

DavidB
    Free Member

Kitz_Chris Thanks, that’s looking like my week sorted!
    Dave

jambalaya
    Free Member

@kitz_chris just for the record with regard to you living in Boulder I’d like to say publically “you b@stard” 😥

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

@jambalaya I’m actually in Innsbruck, Austria for the summer (It’s a hard life), but I’m looking forward to returning to Colorado soon. If you ever happen past Boulder, I’d be happy to take you out for a ride!

metalheart
    Free Member

First, I’d stay in Boulder rather than Denver. It’s just such a cool town. Beware that it’s apparently cursed (you’ll never want to leave….).

Winter Park is probably the closest and was pretty good when I went there in the late 90’s.

Crested Butte is awesome though and I had my best day on a mountain bike there (Trail 402 followed by 401) and I’d recommend anybody to go. Great little town too. I’d go back in a heartbeat given the chance.

Monarch Crest is on my list to do before I die and I kick myself I didn’t know about the last time I breezed through Salida.

A word of warning though, Winter Park and Crested Butte are located at 9,000 ft (and climb to 12,000) so it take’s a bit to get used to sucking the thinner air. Make sure your first day is a relatively easy one. I did about 6 miles on top of WP and blew big style. Fortunately the Yanks have handy mountain top restaurants to help you recouperate though 😉

The last time I went to CB I went via Leadville which has a cool (and flat) trail around Turquoise Lake which might be a good intro (thats at 10k ft though).

Enjoy whatever though, I’m jealous….

ETA: iirc CB is a 5 hour drive over the mountains from Denver

patriotpro
    Free Member

when you are alive

As opposed to when you are yet to be born?

tonyd

Very jealous. I’ve not MTB’d that way unfortunately (yet!) but have spent a lot of time in and around Boulder (my company has offices in Broomfield) and have rented road bikes for jaunts up into them thar hills.

Definitely watch out for the altitude though. The first time I did this I rode from Boulder up to Ward which is at almost 10,000ft – it was tough!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Monarch Crest – just the best ride on the planet bar none. It takes you back to Salida which is a good little artsy town with a fab bike shop, absolute bikes. Look up Nathan if you can, he was a resident of the town and wrote a few mtb guide books.

DavidB
    Free Member

Quick thread resurrect as I am in Denver now. Anyone know if there are campgrounds near Crested Butt/Salida?

mt
    Free Member

Monarch Crest trail is fantastic. Top of Monarch pass big circuit back to Salida as already mentioned is superb, you get really high up. Don’t be doing it in a storm with lightning some close I could see through my closed eye lids, that was a tad scared. Leadville has some good rides as does Breckenridge. Have done some great rides around turquoise Lake from Leadville.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Things to do near Denver when you are alive’ is closed to new replies.