Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Things to do in/near Shrewsbury with kids
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Looks like I’ll be visiting my Dad in Shrewsbury hospital on either Saturday or Sunday (that’s less than 4 weeks from routine screening results to operation btw – good show NHS) and I don’t really want to leave Mrs Grips with the kids all day. So I was wondering if we all went up there, what could she be doing to occupy the kids for a few hours.

The oldest is 3 so nothing too grown up. She likes castles, open air museums, farm stuff etc.

craig_w
    Free Member

There is the castle in town (the grounds are free to look round) and there is the quarry (a park in the centre of town with a kids play area). Also at the Battlefield site there is a owl/hawk thing which is supposed to be really good.

There are loads more castles in Shropshire, you just need to drive 15-30min to get to them.

Again another 25-30min away is the Ironbridge gorge area with all the attractions there.

Craig

DaveRambo

The Acton Scott working farm isn’t far away (The one from Victorian Farm on TV)

We had a really nice day there a few weeks ago, very friendly staff, regular things to do and not too busy. We’d go again and it was reasonably priced as well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

find a creche break out the bike then head to the pub – not much help but a good way to visit shrewsbury!

RoterStern
    Free Member

Ludlow castle is about 30-40 mins drive away as is Stokesay castle. There is an old roman city ruin in Wroxeter which is about 20 mins drive out of the centre. If you want to stay in the town the park is very nice. Also just down the road is Ironbridge/Coalbrookdale which has a really good working museum showing life after the industrial revolution and the town itself is geared towards tourism.

donsimon
    Free Member

Someone was bigging up Telford a couple of weeks ago, might be worth a look.

Scamper
    Free Member

Yip, Telfud is the jewel in Shropshire’s crown.

molgrips
    Free Member

Forgot to add, my folks live in Ludlow and I went to college there so we have been to that castle a zillion times 🙂

Acton Scott could be good – not sure about Ironbridge but that’s reminded me about the Black Country museum.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I lived in Ironbridge. It’s rather F A B, take a trip to Blists Hill Museum and wander around That Bridge.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve been to Blist’s hill. Is it better than the Black Country museum?

wolvesdug
    Free Member

A walk around Haughmond hill or the Castle

Mantastic
    Free Member

I was the recipient of head at the top of the spire/turret at ludlow castle, most invigorating on a windy day.

orange_c
    Free Member

Near Oswestry is Parkhall Farm – one of those family farms with tractor rides, animal petting, farm animals, pig racing, adventure playground etc.

donsimon
    Free Member

Near Oswestry is Parkhall Farm – one of those family farms with tractor rides, animal petting, farm animals, pig racing, adventure playground etc.

That’s probably too far away from Shrewsbury and will be difficult to get to. 😐

bikebouy
    Free Member

3 hours ain’t enough time to get to Ironbridge and back, I’d leave that out.

Soooo, there is a massive Park in the Dell on the river, you can hire boats and the like, they have a huge indoor swimming pool too with slides (well they did have, but that was at least 15 years ago when I last went there) The Park is most excellent, a short walk from the Town, say 10 mins max.

You could visit Dave Mellor Cycles, he’s a most excellent LBS and been there for Yonks.

What about the old part of the town, it’s Tudor and all Blacky/Whitey and stuff..

Ohhhh hang on, isn’t the Hospital just out of Town? Hmmm I think it is you know, so you’ll be driving too.. Arrrhhh I’d opt for the Park option and fill the kids full of Ice Cream and Cake.

Pop over to the Cremetorium and say Hi to my Grandpa and Grandma for me would you.

Most excellent place Shrewsbury.

molgrips
    Free Member

3 hours ain’t enough time to get to Ironbridge and back

It could easily be more.. depends on how long I get to hang out with the rest of my family and my Dad.

wolvesdug
    Free Member

Could always get the park and ride into town and go for a walk around the quarry and then on to the castle.

Probably takes 1/2 hour from the hospital to Ironbridge. You go past Wroxter on the way so may be worth a stop off there. Also have the Wrekin if you fancy a bit of a longer walk!!!

bikebouy
    Free Member

The Quarry ( I called it the Dell for some reason ) Yup that’s it, the Park.

Not much to do in Much Wenlock (nor Little) Is Wellington still there?? Bridgenorth was a fave haunt of mine, but that really is too far.

You know, when you get there have a look around and tell me what the place looks like these days.

Spent many many a happy day in Ironbridge (I lived on top of Church Hill) I still miss the place.

wolvesdug
    Free Member

The Quarry ( I called it the Dell for some reason ) Yup that’s it, the Park.

Not much to do in Much Wenlock (nor Little) Is Wellington still there?? Bridgenorth was a fave haunt of mine, but that really is too far.

You know, when you get there have a look around and tell me what the place looks like these days.

Spent many many a happy day in Ironbridge (I lived on top of Church Hill) I still miss the place.

The dell is called the dingle it is where Percy Thrower was the gardener.
    I was in Ironbridge last friday enjoying a beer.
    I don’t live to far away from Ironbridge in fact inbetween Ironbridge and Shrewsbury.
    Don’t bother with Wellington, Bridgenorth is nice on a sunny day but about 45mins from the Hospital.

hamishthecat

There’s no ‘e’ in Bridgnorth 🙂

Acton Scott would be really good but not if you only have 3 hours spare – stick to Shrewsbury. I only go thee for the occasional shopping trip these days. Are the Quarry swimming baths still there?

Walking along the river around the town walls can be quite nice I think. (So I’m told).

wolvesdug
    Free Member

yep you are right no ‘e’

bikebouy
    Free Member

What?? No “e”‘s!!

Bit dull that.

Does Bridgnorth still have that Railway? And that Arch over the road in the main street? Waht about the wine bar next to it?? Met a lovely girl there once.. Oh my, I should have made a bit more effort.

In Ironbridge, is the White Lion still there?? You know half way up the hill heading towards That Telford.. Or the wine bar just after the mini roundabout near the old police station? Oh god the Station Pub.. ohhh and the White Hart? God almighty, those were deffo the days.

wolvesdug
    Free Member

Railway is still there in Bridgnorth not sure about the White lion but the white hart is deffo there:)

Garry_Lager

In Ironbridge, is the White Lion still there?? You know half way up the hill heading towards That Telford.. Or the wine bar just after the mini roundabout near the old police station? Oh god the Station Pub.. ohhh and the White Hart? God almighty, those were deffo the days.

Is there a white lion in Ironbrige? The White Horse is the alehouse toppish of Lincoln hill. The Crown is down the road to the left – both fairly medicore IMHO. The Coalbrookdale for decent ale down the hill.

LeeW

I’ve been to Blist’s hill. Is it better than the Black Country museum?

Blists Hill is a bit different than the BC museum, I think there’s more for kids to do at the BCM, canal boat trip throught the tunnel, vintage fair ground, mine tour, sweet shop etc. The fish and chips and real ale are pretty good too.

If I remember correctly Blists Hill is similar but is a bit more focused on the industrial side of the era.

Probably chatting out my ass though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wowzers..you know we never went drinking in coalbrookdale much, nor coalport, there was a tiny pub there that was forever getting flooded. , wow do they still have live music on in the white hart?
    Brosley, now there was a.place..
    I spent some very happy years riding in the woods near the power station, could say it was where I learned to climb steep muddy trails on my klein attitude back in the day.
    Both my spaniels are buried in the woods at the top of church hill near the old quarry…
    “sob, sob”
    Bought my first house there I did.
    Dusty here at the moment..

Garry_Lager

My wife’s from Ironbridge so that’s how I know it – some decent local riding you can put together there. Woods around Rough park and Coalbrookdale – over to the Wrekin and the Erkle. Back through limekiln woods and cherry tree hill then the other side of the river and Benthall edge woods – lovely stuff. Cheeky as you like but it’s only really Benthall edge where you’d get some feedback IME.

geologist
    Free Member

Im from ludlow, and would recommend the Shropshire Hills Discovery Centre in Craven Arms.

molgrips
    Free Member

Geologist, do you know the geology teacher at Ludlow College?

RoterStern
    Free Member

I spent some very happy years riding in the woods near the power station, could say it was where I learned to climb steep muddy trails on my klein attitude back in the day.

Me too but I was on a Saracen 😳

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in/near Shrewsbury with kids’ is closed to new replies.