Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Things to do in Yorkshire
  • twonks

Some great suggestions here and things I’d completely forgotten about that make me heave a little sigh (ex yorkshireman, been living in the midlands for 15 years)

One thing missing is to avoid Bradford – the city anyway 😆

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

In terms of stuff near where you are staying.

Brewery, York (lots of stuff), Fountains Abbey, Forbidden Corner, Swaledale, Whitby/Robin Hoods Bay. Take your pick of the Yorkshire 3 Peaks.

Yorks Sculpture Park too far away IMO i.e. Nicer stuff on doorstep.

darrenspink
    Free Member

One thing missing is to avoid Bradford – the city anyway

Why?

The science and media museum and imax are fantastic.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    Call at my house in Boroughbridge on the way to/back from York for free coffee/tea/cakes/bickies?

Hmmm very easy riding distance from my house, where there are no biscuits, and i can put on a “suvern” accent…

You should be careful with offers like that…

theotherjonv

Kids might like the Chocolate tour in York.

You might too…… lots of free samples, and the story (Quakers, etc.) is quite interesting.

Or get the wife and grandma to take the kids while you and Grandad visit the House of Trembling Madness.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Kids might like the Chocolate tour in York.

BOOM 🙂 How can that not be a winner!

failedengineer

Don’t forget to look West to see the sun shining over Lancashire …

martinhutch

I wouldn’t bother going much further west than Bolton Abbey. Takes ages to get over from Masham way.

For a packed day with something for everyone, out via Brimham Rocks, or maybe over to Stump Cross Caverns, or Simon’s Seat/Strid Walk from Bolton Abbey, Hesketh Farm then maybe Billy Bobs for tea. Embsay Steam Railway is a bit overrated IMO.

Forbidden Corner will be a highlight.

NY Moors also very handy from there.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Billy Bobs for the hotdogs alone I reckon.

pocpoc
    Free Member

+1 for National Railway musuem.
    It’s free entry (they welcome donations obviously), but they will get their money back if you eat in the cafe. A few scones, a bag of crisps and a couple of drinks the other week stung me for £27 😯

Also, just north of York is a farm play place called Piglets – ours (2,5 and 7) love it there. They’ve got the tradional animals area and then loads of play stuff and a maize maze.

If weather is poor then also a massive soft play place on the north edge of York called Creepy Crawlies. It’s get chaotically busy though and seems to get bigger every time we go, so if you like keeping a close eye on child then you might struggle.

Also, can be tricky to find details, but theres a quirky minature railway run by an enthusiasts group in a village called Gilling East near Helmsley. Cheap rides on the trains and a play area too. Think it only runs on Sundays though.
    Tripadvisor Link

johndoh
    Free Member

If you want to go somewhere to eat overpriced poor quality food then can I recommend Eureka? Conversely, if you want fairly-priced great home-cooked food then I would recommend Cannon Hall Farm.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I second the suggestion of Forbidden Corner; it’s a great day out with young kids. I also recommend a stroll to Ribblehead Viaduct. It’s only half a mile from parking by the roadside, and then you should hop on the Settle-Carlisle railway. It’s a stunning journey.

Other stuff in that vicinity that the kids, wife and I have enjoyed:

White Scar Cave – loved this.
    Bolton Castle – possibly the best day out we’ve had at any castle due to there being so much to see and do.
    – Richmond Castle and Middleham Castle – neither as good as Bolton Castle in terms of entertaining kids, but if castles are your thing and you’re going to be based nearby, they’re worth bearing in mind.

Obviously there’s some fab biking – road and off-road – just in case you get the chance.

EDIT – all of the above are relatively close to each other and easily accessible if you’re based in Wenlesydale for example. Yorkshire is a big place and not quick to travel around with travel sick prone kids. Yes, I speak from much experience.

withersea
    Free Member

If you are going to York, try the Viking museum as well. You can easy spend two days in York and if you like cheese go to the ‘love cheese’ cafe for lunch.

And if you like planes head to Yorkshire air museum.

theotherjonv

if you like cheese go to the ‘love cheese’ cafe for lunch

and if you don’t like cheese, go to the Love Cheese cafe and have a very stern word with yourself about your likes and dislikes 😉

Bunnyhop

Second Bolton castle.
    Also if the sea is calm, a boat trip out from Whitby is fun.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in Yorkshire’ is closed to new replies.