Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Things to do in Yorkshire
  • RichPenny
    Free Member

Off to Yorkshire for a week next month with 6 year old daughter, mum and step-dad. What should we do? All of happy to be outdoors but I’m ruined physically so nothing too strenuous please. Never been to York so that will be on the list. Saw a big sculpture park that looked cool, but could be boring for the child.

We are staying at Masham, brewery tour at Black Sheep any good?

ton

forbidden corner is near where you are staying. good for kids and big kids.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Ride settle-Carlisle railway and/or watch a steam train go over the ribblehead viaduct

ton

visit the creamery at Hawes……cracking grommit. 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Don’t mention Lancashire. 😉

john_drummer
    Free Member

Yeah the Black Sheep brewery tour is good. There’s also Theakstons across the other side of the village. Black Sheep started as a spin-off of Theakstons when Paul Theakston didn’t like the idea of the family firm being sold to Scottish & Newcastle. Theakstons is independent once more but has led to there being two biggish breweries run by members of the same family in the same (non-Tadcaster) village

York is well worth a day out. Leeds for retail therapy and a night out. Whitby is nice if you want seaside and vampires. North York Moors railway for a steam train from Pickering to Whitby and a bit of Heartbeat TV nostalgia; speaking of TV nostalgia, the Herriott museum at Thirsk is worth a visit too

bikebouy
    Free Member

Plenty of moorland to see and enjoy up Coverdale way.

ton

go to Betty’s for a cream tea.

john_drummer
    Free Member

And a fat rascal

km79
    Free Member

You could act like a miserable, grumpy old ****, then whenever challenged on your behaviour, use being from yorkshire as an excuse.

ton

dry ski slope and toboggan near Ogden res, Halifax

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Second the Forbidden Corner, it’s great.
    Don’t do a brewery tour, just drink a shed load of Black Sheep. Brimham Rocks & Fountains Abbey not too far away.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

You could act like a miserable, grumpy old ****, then whenever challenged on your behaviour, use being from yorkshire as an excuse.

But you wouldn’t be challenged, as that is the expected behaviour in Yorkshire…

RichPenny
    Free Member

Forbidden Corner; Strapline “The Strangest Place in the World.” Sold 🙂

Cheers all. No acting required km79, I am always a grumpy old **** 🙂 Have a accent which combines the worst of essex and wiltshire so may have to work on that.

Philby

Bolton, Ripley and Richmond Castles are within easy access of Masham. Lots of lovely villages and small towns to wander round – Richmond, Thirsk, Hawes, Helmsley, Leyburn to wander round.

Fountains Abbey is close by which is worth a visit. If you go to Thirsk, also drive to the top of Sutton Bank for the amazing views of the Vale of York.

Harrogate, is worth a visit (but I wouldn’t bother with Betty’s as there’s usually a queue), as is Knaresborough for Mother Shipton’s Cave.

markshires
    Free Member

Saw a big sculpture park that looked cool, but could be boring for the child

If it’s the Yorkshire sculpture park, nr wakefield/Barnsley they normally run some activity sessions for the kids, suppose it depends how old they are though.

Tracey

If you visit the sculpture park you aren’t that far from the mining museum.

fooman

There’s nothing wrong with the sculpture park & mining museum but they are the other side of Leeds which is a fair drive (I think the east coast is closer!) some nearer things include The Wensleydale Creamery, Aysgarth Falls, Kettlewell & Kilnsey Cragg area for walking, Sutton Bank for views, Pateley Bridge for yea oldie sweet shop. If I think of more I’ll post ’em…

Edit; How Stean Gorge not too far, Lightwater Valley, spend a day by the river in Burnsall (or in it)

ahsat

Bolton Abbey. £10 to park but take a picnic and lots of areas for running around and Riverside walks.

unklehomered
    Free Member

If you’re in Masham you may as well head north for a certain enduro race…

Also , head over to How Stean Gorge.

fooman

If you go to Bolton Abbey also visit Billy Bobs Ice Cream Parlor – if you want lunch there you’ll need to book a table mind. Embsay Steam Railway is there too. Thinking about it I’m going to cancel my holiday & stay in Yorkshire!

Another edit: Stump Cross Caverns

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Call at my house in Boroughbridge on the way to/back from York for free coffee/tea/cakes/bickies?

+1 for Lightwater Valley for the kiddo.

whitestone
    Free Member

you used to have to book in advance for the forbidden corner but it’s well worth it

Marko

Has nobody mentioned the National railway museum yet?

And Brimham Rocks . . .

Crikey, so much to do and see in Yorkshire. No wonder they call it God’s own county.

Marko (expat Yorkie)

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

If the suns out Yorkshire by the sea aka Whitby, Filey, scarbourgh or Bridlington well worth a side trip.
    You’ll certainly see some sights.

The Yorkshire sculpture park is right next to the M1 j38, and may be good for the journey home a few hours is enough to see a few sculptures and a cup o tea in the cafe

Saltaire is a good few hours for the Hockney gallery and old mill, did I mention a few good pubs nearby

bearnecessities

go to Betty’s for a cream tea.

If you want to be financially buggered for a bit of cake and tea. Plenty of other excellent food places.

If you find yourself near Birkenshaw, grab some pork pies from Hopkins.

visit the creamery at Hawes

Although that is good advice, unless you don’t like cheese.

A clue as to where you are staying would help, but you can google:

Royal Armouries
    Hardcastle Craggs
    Trinity Leeds
    Saltaire (the whole place, mill, park etc – bike stuff there too 😉 )
    Malham cove/gordale scar/Janet’s foss
    Bolton Abbey

as a general mix. Christ, there’s so much miserable dark stuff up here it’s hard to narrow down 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Do not go to bettys, unless you like being bent over and royally fisted, then eating a very small cake and a piss poor cup of tea.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I don’t see the attraction of Betty’s either.

If you’re in Skipton (worth a visit), then nip into one of the Craven Bakery shops and buy a Rapscallion – it’s the same as a Betty’s “Fat Rascal” for a fraction of the price and much bigger – and nicer!

slackboy

Ripon is a nice place to visit from Masham, 2nd Brimham Rocks and Pateley Bridge and Fountains Abbey / Studley Deer Park is also worth a visit.

If you are in York area and have bikes then the Solar System Ride https://www.york.ac.uk/solar/ is a great thing to do with Kids – really gets the scale of the system across, particularly when you get to the inner planets.

Don’t forget the Railway Museum in York.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Aysgarth falls is nice.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Do not go to bettys, unless you like being bent over and royally fisted, then eating a very small cake and a piss poor cup of tea.

Good point, my mum has very high tea standards. I’ve been to the creamery and it’s awesome, might visit again. Castles and Abbey sound good too. Thanks all 🙂

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

And another vote for York – it’s probably one of my fave places to go.

I usually park up at one of the “Park and Ride” car parks – then walk in and get the bus back. Loads to see and do in York.

RustySpanner

Yep to the brewery tour and the creamery.
    Free samples at the creamery, take a hat and false moustache.

Forbidden Corner is ace, but don’t eat there, the food place is hellishly noisy and a bit steep.
    Attached pub is nice though.
    Nice caff/antique shop hybrid in Richmond, on the corner opposite the chippy.
    Good walk up onto the gallops to watch the racehorses too.

Bay Tree caff in Hawes is great, very good with small kids, but go to the creamery first.
    🙂

Too many pubs to mention, but if you’re driving through Muker I reckon the Farmers is pretty much perfect.

Stu and Brenda at the Dales MTB Centre are lovely people, superb home made cakes, great coffee, piles of old bike mags, bike shop etc.
    Great place.

DrJ

You’ll need to find time to try on and purchase a cloth cap.

Pyro

Things to do in Yorkshire

Get out, before any daft-ass local tries to convince you it’s ‘God’s Country’… 😉

RustySpanner

DrJ – Member
    You’ll need to find time to try on and purchase a cloth cap.

True.
    Got my last three from Whites of Wensleydale.
    🙂
    Honestly, biggest selection of decent caps I’ve seen.
    I like the Failsworth ones, from God’s own county of Lancashire.
    Just down the road from the creamery, just opposite the Bay Tree caff btw.
    😀

slowoldman

Swaledale. Just somewhere really nice to be.

johndoh
    Free Member

If you go to Forbidden Corner you *MUST* book in advance. It’s a great place but due to the way it’s designed they have to book customers into specific slots.

Then there’s Flamingo Land, Lightwater Valley, Waterfall Walk, Snodome at Castleford, Ghost Wallks in York, boat hire and riverside walks in Knaresborough. And a whole load more.

seadog101

Mentioned already but Fountains Abbey is lovely.

Quite a bit of walking, but easy paths. Free to get in for NT and English Heritage members. Nice café at the entrance and another one all the way down at the end of the lake, a good incentive for the youngsters if bribed with a promise of ice cream.

el_boufador

If you go to York, do the walk around the old city walls, it’s fantastic.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in Yorkshire’ is closed to new replies.