Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Things to do in Wakefield….
  • RustySpanner

Free weekend in a decent hotel, thanks to Tesco Club card points….

Sculpture Park (not been for ages) and Mining Museum (never been) on the cards, anything else you’d recommend?

Decent pub and restaurant recommendations most welcome as well, thanks.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

From my breif sojourn there earlier in the year, Cathedral, Hepworth err, if it as summer the castle ruins south of the town

ton

errr mmmm eerrmm mmm errrr ermmmm

get on the 110 bus to leeds and I will meet you for a pint or 2.

spawnofyorkshire

Things to do in Wakefield….

… Leave and go somewhere else

bikebouy
    Free Member

I had to use National Tyre Services there a few weeks ago, it was a Brexiteers heaven …

You could easily spend 20mins arguing with em ‘

PMK2060

Do the Westgate run. If you are a real ale drinker there are 13 pubs to go at (see link below). Over 30 pubs if you are a lager lout :D.

http://www.wakefieldcamra.org.uk/drinking_in_wakefield.html

ton

the westgate run was good in the 80’s. it is no longer a real ale run.
    it is pish.

good pubs are Harry’s bar, The Printworks, The Hop, Fernandes and The Elephant and Castle.

ehrob

It’s got 2 train stations – I suggest you take advantage of this and use one of them to go somewhere else.

chipster
    PMK2060

Ton – I have not been for a few years to be honest. I just remember the Westgate run being popular.

ton

the best pub on the old westgate run was The Redoubt. also wakefields smallest pub.
    I paid rugby for them for 15 years. we did the westgate run every Saturday night, it was awesome.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Scuplture Park is good. Lovely place for a wander and the cafe, whilst not exactly cheap, does really good grub. Pies and stuff. Even had a plate full of calamari and chips last time I was there!

ElShalimo

bring your bikes and do the Wakefield Wheel?

oomidamon

Newmillerdam is a nice spot for a stroll but it gets very busy at weekends. Wakefield Beer Exchange (next to Iris) is another good bar.

porlus
    Free Member

Is there a place called the Red Shed there still. Never been myself but real ale mate of mine from Wakefield says its really good.

fasthaggis

Wait till about 9pm then go to the carpark behind the shops.It’s usually empty at that time,but if you see two drunken girls walking across,ask them where you can get something to eat.Charmed by your out of town accent they will try to chat you up and show you around.One may be very sick and cry while she tells you about the affair she is having with a married man.
    The other one,well I don’t want to spoil the surprise.

duffle
    Free Member

For a reasonable pub just outta town…..Kings Arms in Heath.
    One of the last gas lit pubs int country allegedly also serves real ales.
    There’s a restaurant attached but I wasn’t best impressed but may be worth revisiting as it was a number of years ago.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Free weekend in a decent hotel, thanks to Tesco Club card points….

You were duped, they should have been paying you…

blader1611
    Free Member

Bring a small amount of change as wakefield hookers dont accept/charge notes!

tmb467
    Free Member

Hepworth Gallery may be worth a visit if that kind of thing floats your boat

Failing that, Leeds isnt too far!

chipster

Is there a place called the Red Shed

http://www.theredshed.org.uk/index.html

sparkyrhino

Sending that link whilst, proping up the bar using there wifi Chip?

orangeorange
    Free Member

Ask the locals to tell you Paul Sykes stories….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

There’s a nice place down Love Lane but I can’t remember the name. Once you get in, everything’s free!

2nd the Redoubt pub but it was a while since I was there, went to a good Indian called Red Chilli 2 & another called The Hot Plate, both were excellent but they may not be there now!

No help at all was it?

chipster

Sending that link whilst, proping up the bar using there wifi Chip?

No, Sparky, I’ve been at work all day.
    I was there last Wednesday night, for a once a month get together, and was given a ticket to go see Arthur Scargill, who was “speaking” on Thursday. 😕 I remain unimpressed. (edit: with him, not the club).

RustySpanner

Well, that was really good.
    😕

Friendly hotel just next to Newmillerdam, which is lovely.

Sculpture Park is spot on.
    Not enough daylight this time of year, but it’s a stunning place to be.
    Packed too, great to see the place appreciated.

National Mining Museum today.
    Underground tour was very, very good indeed.
    Bob our guide was a bit of a star, as are all the ex miners and volunteers that run the place.
    We’d hardly got out of the car before one of the guides had said hello and given us a few tips.

And there’s a decent little exhibition too, but it’s going to need a bit of cash to keep on top of the fantastic industrial architecture, much of which looks like it could do with a bit of help.
    Go and pay £3 for the tour.
    Buy a coffee.
    It has no agenda other than to show people a tiny bit of how it was.

Never made it into Wakefield, but we’ll have a drive over to do the Hepworth soon.

Taking the bikes next time too, unbelievable number of little tracks just heading off everywhere…

andycs

Loads of riding round Sculpture Park and Newmillerdam.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in Wakefield….’ is closed to new replies.