Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Things to do in southern Belgium and around in February
  • geoffj

…with 2 kids

I have the chance of cheap flights from EDI to Charloi. I don’t want to spend hours driving from there, but there must be places within couple of hours to keep a bit of interest for 3 or 4 days?
    I’m not a big fan of Bruxelles though.

Suggestions / ideas – what are Mons and Roubaix like

leffeboy

http://www.carnavaldebinche.be/home-eng.html

Oops, date wrong sorry. I thought it was mid Feb but it’s the start of march

boxfish
    Free Member

Liege Aquarium is pretty good

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JulianA
    Free Member

Durbuy is a lovely village, and I seem to recall some scenic bits along the river valley to Namur. Sadly I don’t think there will be much open in Feb but the Ardennes would be good for walking. Enjoy – great beer all year round!

boxfish
    Free Member

There be caves in the Ardennes too – one with a boat tour!

leffeboy

There be caves in the Ardennes too – one with a boat tour!

If that is the grottes de han I don’t think they open until mid feb

http://www.grotte-de-han.be/en/the-cave-of-han

rickmeister

Is it far to the NurburgRing.. ?

irelanst
    Free Member

within couple of hours to keep a bit of interest for 3 or 4 days

Within a couple of hours from Chareloi you could be in Paris! First weekend of Feb is the cyclo-cross worlds over towards Rotterdam?

geoffj

Within a couple of hours from Chareloi you could be in Paris! First weekend of Feb is the cyclo-cross worlds over towards Rotterdam?

Mmmm a couple of options there.

Any more for any more?

generallevi
    Free Member

Mate,

I used to live in Mons when I was based at the local NATO base with the RAF. Have not long returned to the UK. If you are not a fan of Brussels then Ghent would be an amazing day out. It’s so beautiful and was the nicest city I visited whilst there.

Leuven ‘home of Stella’ is about 20 mins south of Brussels and once again is a really nice place for a visit. Mons is OK and steeped in history but Is not as easy on the eye as the previous two. If you can drive or grab a train Ypres is such an amazing town. I did the Armistice parade there every year and the Menin gate and War museum are spectacular. Last post happens at 8pm every night and attracts thousands.

If you go to Ghent a trip to the Amadeus rib house will blow your mind! http://www.amadeusspareribrestaurant.be

Hope this helps a little,

All the best,
    Lee.

JulianA
    Free Member

Leuven ‘home of Stella’ is about 20 mins south east of Brussels

Nice place indeed.

Gent is fantastic, Brugge is fantastic, Ieper ditto. We love Belgium. Lovely people, great food, beer, chocolate, countryside and architecture – what’s not to like?

Amadeus is brill, but so are most Belgian restaurants that we’ve eaten in.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in southern Belgium and around in February’ is closed to new replies.