Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Things to do in Nottingham?
  • stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Got 4 days in nottingham over easter thanks to a great deal on a spa hotel. Whats good to do? Wont have a bike and mrs is 5 months pregnant so only smaller walks etc. Thanks in advance.

midlifecrashes

The caves beneath the castle and Broadmarsh shopping centre are worth a look.

nuke

I’ll be interested to see whats said on this thread as I’ve spent several days training in Nottingham this year and all i could muster (albeit with limited free time) was a walk along the canal, through a big graveyard and a visit to the castle. Plenty of shops and restaurants though if that’s your thing (never been to Cosmo before which was an experience)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sobriety
    Free Member

I reckon you’ll be bored by the end of day three, but here goes!

Galleries of Justice, you can get it with a joint ticket to the caves which were a bit naff last time I went, I think it depends on the quality of your guide.

Apparently the ghost/cave tours where they take you to some of the ‘private’ caves under pubs and whatnot are better.

You could go up to Sherwood forest and check out the oak.

Nottingham Castle is, frankly, not worth the admission unless something else is on in the grounds. Spoiler: There is no Castle, just an outline of bricks where it used to be (the Cromwellians razed it, as it was where Charles I raised his standard). The museum in the Castle is pretty bad too, there’s a reasonably interesting history to Nottingham (see above, and what with the lace trade/industrialisation/decline) but the museum feels like it’s filled with random cast offs from the V&A, it’s really lacking a thread to the exhibition.

Eating, off the top of my head.

The Larder on Goosegate is good for British food done really well.
    Iberico is good for tapas.
    Shanghai Shanghai is ok for noodles/chinese
    Miss Korea is tasty for Korean food, so I’m told.

MoreCashThanDash

Mem Saab for Indian. Or Laguna round the corner for half the price.

The castle is not really a proper castle, but OK. The Trip to Jerusalem is worth a visit. Hear good things about the art gallery. Lots of interesting buildings and architecture around the city.

Could hire a Boris bike and ride out along the canals.

If you have access to a car, lots around. Wollaton Hall where Batman was filmed is interesting, nice stroll round the deer park. Peak District is an hour away. Sherwood Forest nearby, nice walking round Sherwood Pines and Clumber Park.

Kryton57

There’s a Hooters, so I’m told…

Drac

Rob from the rich she give to the poor.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Bored after day 3? more like bored after half a day. There are alot of decent pubs and restaurants if eating and drinking is your thing, shopping is OK, but of that you’re better to jump on the train to Birmingham which is less than an hour away, but not much at all in terms of tourist attractions within the city itself.

There are alot of things to do in the surrounding area – lots of National Trust places, nice country villages and decent walking to be done. Depends what you’re after.

Spud

Galleries of Justice, Contemporary Arts Centre a few metres away. Whilst you’re there the Cock and Hoop and Kean’s Head (better of the two) are across the road. Kean’s food and importantly beers are very good. Wollaton Park on the ring road is worth a wander around if you want quiet time, although over Easter it may not be that. The caves are good too, Ye Olde Trip as mentioned already. Some good NT places not too far away, Clumber Park to the North, Work House at Southwell to the NE.
    Annie’s Burger Shack if that’s you’re thing, burgers are excllent and so’s the beer, gets very busy at peak times though. French Living on King Street is excellent too both lunch and evening meals.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Wollaton Hall is worth a look,galleries of justice, caves as well. go further afield and try Newstead Abbey and Hardwick Hall although it’s better when a bit warmer
    Chatsworth worth a look too but obviously not in Notts

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Will have the car so sherwood forest for sure plus some other suggestions sound good. Keep em comong though!

mattstreet

Only a couple of home fights games left this year, but tickets to see the Panthers Ice Hockey team can be a decent night out. 🙂

Worth looking to see if there’s anything on at the Playhouse, Glee Club, Royal Centre, etc…

As said already, plenty of good places to get a drink.

nach
    Free Member

Pubs: The Malt Cross on St. James’ Street is worth a look, it’s a renovated Victorian music hall, and they have plenty of non-alcoholic options.

Hand and Heart on Derby Road is a great place to eat: a tiny bit pricey compared to most pub food, but *very* good food and the restaurant is in a cave. You’ll probably have to book to get a table at the weekend.

tthew

Thursday night, Rock City, job done. Experience the stickiest bar side carpet in the universe.

iain1775
    Free Member

A52, A453
    Both lead out and back to the M1 😈

nach
    Free Member

tthew – Member
    Thursday night, Rock City, job done. Experience the stickiest bar side carpet in the universe.

That used to be the leopard print one in the Cookie Club. At one time, it’d stick to your feet and come up an inch or so with each step 😀

ctk
    Free Member

Wolloton Hall has a transport museum with a load of steam engines that they’ll probably have running over Easter.

Kiosk in Sherwood really good cafe.

Ania a Polish restaurant in Sherwood also is cheap and very good.

Sherwood Forest is rubbish! Crap cafe not a lot to do.

Nottingham Contemporary gallery has a nice cafe and interesting exhibitions usually.

ebygomm
    Free Member

If you like Victorian engineering Papplewick pumping station will be in steam over Easter (about 8 miles north of Nottingham)

http://www.papplewickpumpingstation.co.uk

iain1775
    Free Member

That used to be the leopard print one in the Cookie Club. At one time, it’d stick to your feet and come up an inch or so with each step

I used to work the bar / coakroom / collecting glasses at the Cookie Club (when it was on Pelham Street) although work is a very loose term, spent most of the nights getting paid (about £10 a night) to chat to my mates and be on the dancefloor
    The manager at the time was into his mountain biking

nach
    Free Member

I had the same job once, but after it had moved to St. James st. I don’t think the manager it had then was into mountain biking, just being a massive perv.

Apparently until just before I started they had a giant foam cookie costume they used to make one unlucky soul go flyering in each night. The manager went on holiday, one of the bar staff stuffed it in a bin, and everyone swore ignorance 😀

Moses

Ms Moses used to live in Nottingham (just above Hooters, coincidentally for Kryton) and Mrs M used to visit regularly. She reckons there’s lots to do, a good few days’ worth. I’ll ask. There’s a Lawrence museum I know about, and an excellent workhouse museum – where the poor used to be sent, the best-preserved in the country. Very worthwhile if you enjoy social history

Richie_B

Galleries of Justice, Contemporary Arts Centre a few metres away. Whilst you’re there the Cock and Hoop and Kean’s Head (better of the two) are across the road.

If your in Kean’s Head keep the noise down I’m in the office upstairs

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in Nottingham?’ is closed to new replies.