• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Things to do in Nerja
  • pondo

Off to Nerja next week with the inlaws, should be a nice chilled break. Anyone been and know of good things to do or nice places to eat? It’s our wedding anniversary while we’re away and we have a day pass, be nice to make the most of it. 🙂

moonsaballoon

We went a few years ago now and I remember the caves being pretty impressive . There was also a restaurant that was on the Gordon Ramsey saving restaurants program that was alright

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

You can go and visit my mum if you like. She in Periana, a very nice Spanish village about 45 mins away . Or you can go scuba diving with my step dad although he is a bit ‘alpha male’ . Up to you

slowoldman

After seeing howsyourdad1’s mum pop up and see my big sis in Frigliana. I’m told there is some excellent walking. I’m also told it’s very hot right now.

z1ppy

you could then pop and see my aunt and uncle, I know there localish to Nerja (in the hills), but buggered if I know where. Life is one big gin soaked party on their facebook (in a nice way)..
    Actually according to FB there around Comares/Vélez-Málaga

Rockape63
    Free Member

I spent a fortnight there last summer. Hopefully you’ve got a pool as the beach is a bit mobbed and hot. Loads of places to eat. Ayos on the beach v basic but THE fish restaurant at lunchtime. We had a day in Granada which was v good and if you can find a Mtb, some hard climbs up past the caves.

sadexpunk

subbed for reference as im just along the coast at la herradura next month.

EDIT: in fact thinking about it there may be some advice to interest you in this thread i started a while ago.

pondo

Thanks for all your posts, friends – we’ll have sufficient relative interaction so probably not going to hook up with any of yours, but the thought is appreciated. 🙂

AlexSimon

If you like a nice adventure, this walk is fantastic on a hot day:
    https://eastofmalaga.net/2014/06/28/river-walk-up-the-rio-chillar-nerja/

You walk up the riverbed of the Rio Chillar through gorges.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Hire a bike (either road or mtb) from X-Bike. Head east along the coast road for some lovely views. Or go diving with the dive centre down by Ayo’s, brilliant people, been diving with them for the past 4 years.

stever
    Free Member

Granada is a good shout – the Alhambra palace is stunning if you like old stuff. Book online in advance – whopping queues. An hour and a bit in the car. The Nerja Caves are family friendly if a bit steppy.

wl
    Free Member

Head into the hills for a day trip to somewhere like sleepy little Archez or more touristy but more beautiful and interesting Competa. Stunning drive, scenic Spanish towns, lots of good eating etc.

Rockape63
    Free Member

We did that walk up the river from the cement factory….wasn’t easy to find! You can go all the way to Frigliana but we were just looking for a waterfall which they were in the process of bricking up and sealing off from the public…probably because it was dangerous due to being very slippery. Shame as it has been there forever and is quite impressive. In August the riverbed was almost dry. If I went back I probably would probably walk to to Frigliana for lunch and get a taxi back.

Map

slowoldman

You can go all the way to Frigliana but we were just looking for a waterfall which they were in the process of bricking up and sealing off from the public…probably because it was dangerous due to being very slippery

Big sis told me the story of a woman who went missing for days having popped out for a walk. She was found near the waterfall.

ollybus
    Free Member

Hire a paddleboard and explore up the coast. Beautiful

mefty
    Free Member

I know Frigiliana well as one of my best friends lives there. Nice place to visit for a meal, evening better than lunch in my view as it gets a lot of day trippers. A late afternoon walk up the river gorge, followed by drinks and dinner would be very pleasant – a couple staying with my friends at the same time did that walk most days. Granada would be on my list as well. I have been to some great beach restaurants in and around Nerja but I can’t remember what they are called.

Rockape63
    Free Member

On the subject of restaurants, there is a Thai next to the beach that is surprisingly good. Actually the food was top notch. They must have had a good chef, who may or may not be there now. Makes a change from the Spanish fare.

TA

AYO’s can look a bit crap to the first time visitor, but it has legendary status amongst the Spanish and also my friend who owns a Villa there. Across from the Thai place.

ElShalimo

If you have time, take a drive up to the Alpujarran villages (Trevélez, Capileira etc).
    Try to read these books before you visit:
    South From Granada by Gerald Brenan
    Driving Over Lemons by Chris Stewart

Both books are accounts of life in the Alpujarra. I find the whole place fascinating and the history is complex and amazing.

pondo

Thank you all very much, you lovely people, especially for the book suggestions – added to the library and top of the list, hope to visit the villages towards the end of the week. 🙂

pondo

Hola amigos! Had a belting time, lovely villa so plenty of time in the pool – good job, it was red hot. Took a walk up Chillar to the waterfall with Mrs Pondo which was a lovely way to spend our anniversary, set off early (good job, quiet on the way up and met loads of people on the way back), nice dip in the pool under the falls to cool off before heading back down. Alhambra was ok (not a lot of info, is there?), caves pretty awesome, Driving Over Lemons is fantastic, and we heartily endorse Julies in Nerja which does belting veggie food (plus meat and fish dishes if like me you’re not veggie), great service and value.

Sad to be back but thanks for all your help. 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in Nerja’ is closed to new replies.