Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Things to do in London.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

I have a friend who is visting London and is looking for ideas, Londonites can you help?
    1. A good greasy spoon in Kensington?
    2. Good bars for lunch?
    3. Good bars for evening entertainment, again in Kensington ( will there be problems with a 16yr old?)
    4. Any ideas generally for less touristy or typical places to visit? It's a family visit so keep it clean, please?

Thanks in advance and if you want details on places to see in Wrexham Madrid, give me a shout!! 😉

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

go to Tate Britain and look at the harrier?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Go Mountain Biking in Epping Forest, which is much better than Coed Y Brenin. 😉

Forget bars/pubs with a 'child', unless it's early afternoon.

Greasy Spoon: Floris Cafe on Harrington Road by South Ken stn. Good for museums.

donsimon
    Free Member

Forget bars/pubs with a 'child', unless it's early afternoon.

Thanks, anything for a 16yr old to do in the evening? Anything on the river with terraces or outside seating? I know places closer to Chiswick, but Kensington I know nothing…

What are the mountains like in Epping Forest? 😉

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Have a good old fashioned cockernee knees up ?

CaptJon
    Free Member

The British Library Magnificent Maps exhibition (as well as the permanent exhibition) is fantastic. I'm biased because i'm a geographer, but there are some amazing maps – The Island is a highlight. 100 yards from Kings Cross.

philconsequence
    Free Member

epping forest….you mean EPIC forest!!!

nahh only joking, its rubbish, i can tell and i haven't even been there.

when i was 16 the thing to do was the London Trocadero, is the 16yr old male or female?

ahwiles
    Free Member

i've got to kill 4 hours on Friday afternoon between St Pancreas and Waterloo.

obviously i could just fall back on the old favourite of 'walking around feeling massively superior to all the southerners' – but i'm feeling generous, and am keen to let the greatest city in the world win me over with her hidden charm.

what do you locals suggest for a reasonably skint northerner?

nickc

there's nothing to do in London. Go to Wales

ahwiles
    Free Member

yes, i would rather. But unfortunately i'll be in Lundonium – and i like having my prejudices challenged.

my prejudice against Lunn'n is that there's nothing to do beyond 'walk around, use public transport, buy stuff'

so, locals, change my opinion please!

X

donsimon
    Free Member

there's nothing to do in London. Go to Wales

Of course, this is the obvious choice, but they're going to London. When they've seen the rest they'll really appreciate the best…

Keep the ideas coming, thanks.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i've got to kill 4 hours on Friday afternoon between St Pancreas and Waterloo.

obviously i could just fall back on the old favourite of 'walking around feeling massively superior to all the southerners' – but i'm feeling generous, and am keen to let the greatest city in the world win me over with her hidden charm.

what do you locals suggest for a reasonably skint northerner?

walk along the south bank from tower bridge to waterloo.

you will be the one dressed in 80 fashions looking out of your depth staring up at all the big buildings, being fascinated by doors that open when you walk up to them, stairs that move in strange underground transport caverns and machines that spout money and other electrical marvels they don't have in the north.

Pook

I'm sure captain F and his mrs could take you out

molgrips
    Free Member

I'm going to London on the bank hol Monday. We've done the main tourist bits, hopefully we can find some more obscure stuff.

I think the best thing to do in London is get a load of work mates together and go out eating and drinking, but that's not gonna be practical this time 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

Used to drink here regularly, nice back street pub with outside seating – never eaten there but website is usually reliable – Churchill Arm on Ken Church St renowned for Thai food.

RepacK
    Free Member

South Bank is good for a meander. Lots to look at, plenty to do.

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

I second The Churchill, cracking Thai food……!!!

mefty
    Free Member

One point they should bear in mind is that it is Carnival weekend so Notting Hill will be mayhem, I don't know how far it spreads South.

ahwiles
    Free Member

RepacK – Member

South Bank is good for a meander. Lots to look at, plenty to do

for example?

jam-bo

best bit about being on the south bank is that it means you don't have to look at it…

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

I ate at the Atlas in West Brompton last week and the food was absolutley superb. They had 3 guest ales on. Great spot for lunch, full of plain clothes coppers though as its near the Empress state

RepacK
    Free Member

S Bank: Tate, National Theatre, HMS Belfast, too many bars to shake a stick at, boats going up & down the river, London Eye, need I go on?

donsimon
    Free Member

mefty – Member

One point they should bear in mind is that it is Carnival weekend so Notting Hill will be mayhem, I don't know how far it spreads South.

Is that directed at me, the OP, the person that started the thread or the spongers who are picking off the juicy info from someone else's thread??

My crowd are going in Oct, so no Carnival probs.

E&C looks ok, thanks.

HMS Belfast could be good for the young'un 😀

I like the idea of tour buses to see the city, boats sound equally good.
    What's the best transport card to get?

Any more greasy spoons for a bit of variety?

What are the licencing laws now? Yes, it's a long time since I've been in The UK!!!

kimbers

well if i was around this weekend id be heading ehre

http://www.frightfest.co.uk/

kimbers

nah carnival is confined north of notting hill gate/ holland park rd

id definately reccomend a boat trip all the way to the barrier is good, excellent way to see the city

corroded
    Free Member

Not only greasy spoons but other places too:

http://londonreviewofbreakfasts.blogspot.com/

MountainMutant
    Free Member

You could walk down to Waterloo via Condor cycles and then pop over the road to The Griffin for a pint.

Fabulous views. The 16 yr old will love you for ever.

MM

mefty
    Free Member

MM – with a pocket full of £1 coins? Tut tut

MountainMutant
    Free Member

…is that a pocket full of pound coins or are you just pleased to see me!?

corroded
    Free Member

Recommending things to do depends on how long they have in the city and what they're into.

If they're outdoorsy: canoeing with Thames River Adventures, fungi foraging on Hampstead Heath (weekends, then lunch in Hampstead village), autumn leaves at Kew Gardens

Less obvious museums and galleries: Dulwich Picture Gallery, Dennis Sever's House in Spitalfields, Sir John Soane's

Food and drink: Borough Market (Thurs/Fri best but always crowded), take the river boat to Meantime Brewery's new place in Greenwich (or their original pub there – great beers).

donsimon
    Free Member

Recommending things to do depends on how long they have in the city and what they're into.

I am trusting myself to the wide ranging interests and personal recommendations from the wonderful source of info that STW is, which is why I asked here rather than looking in a guide. Predared to look at all suggestions.

We will look at the options on Monday and see what is good and what is not appropriate.

Thanks so far. 😀

Evening crowd have anything more to offer?

senorj

For greasy chopsticks (see what I did there?) do not miss STICK&BOWL.
    Very lovely ,sometimes greasy chinese cafe. 'tis old school.
    not too expensive either.
    I used to dine there 1 or twice a week back in the day.
    Special fried noodles please…..don't forget the optional chilli on the far right of the counter.
    It's nearly opposite Kennsington gardens Hotel.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in London.’ is closed to new replies.