Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Things to do in Derby/Midlands
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

As title really, suggestions on fun things to do in or around Derby. More looking for small “different” places to visit (secret coffee shop? Awesome waterfall? etc) – rather than Alton Towers, Bakewell Town.

Planning on hiring a couple bikes and heading around Carsington Water (for non-MTBers), weather dependant.

On a related note – good places to eat in Derby? Quite want to go to Moonsha, taepanyaki sounds great, is it worth the price?

Ta,
    Duane.

lunge

I can recommend a few pubs, the Greyhound is good as is the Royal Standard. Both do good ale and good pub food. And the Dolphin. Always visit the Dolphin.

bikebouy
    Free Member

IIRC there is a good Pub at Darley Mill (it’s in an old Mill building near a very small park with views of the weir) just down the river from Derby center, is that right or am I mixing it up with somewhere else??

Anywhoos’ Carsington Waters rather Ace, say Hi to my mates Steve and Ebbo at the sailing club for me whilst you are there eh..ta. 😆

russianbob
    Free Member

Do you mean the Abbey?

iain1775
    Free Member

You back then Duane?
    Where did you settle on living in the end?

I’ve been meaning to try Moonsha since it opened about 2.5 years ago, must get round to it someday I ve not heard any bad things about it

Grounds of Calke Abbey are ok for a wander, with a couple of pubs in Ticknall, likewise Elvaston castle and Kedleston Hall
    Dimmingsdale near Alton is nice for a walk too, and the Ramblers retreat cafe there is fantastic, then there is obviously all the touristy honeypots like Sshbourne, Bakewell etc
    If you want bike ride for non mtb’ers then there is also Hicks Lodge or the Sustrans routes nearby
    Other activities – there is a place in Swarkestone that hires canoes on the Trent and T&M canal, opposite there is clay pigeon shooting
    There is Alter Rock climbing church in Normanton (a cultural experience just walking there 🙂 )
    Come January there will of course be the velodrome and I obviously you already know all the local mtb spots (Ambergate etc, Robin Woods Ticknall, drum Hill etc) from your time here before?

Go out to Repton and the Bulls Head for pizza
    There is a great Greek restaurant on London rd opp the old hospital (although it’s not a patch on when it used to be in Blacksmiths yard, and has gone downhill slightly since Stelios wife died), plenty of great curry houses obviously

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

Iain, yup, on Uttoxeter New Road which seems a pretty decent location!

Any recommendations for short-ish cycle routes with bike hire nearby, which will not be challenging for people not used to cycling? I hear the Carsington Water loop is quite hilly.

Similarly, recommendations for decent walks in the Peak District, ideally not toooo far from Derby, with a decent pub at the start/end?

Thanks! Duane.

MoreCashThanDash

Check out the new Bike Park/Hub place behind the cathedral, not sure if they do bike hire but the riverside paths from there can take you up to Darley Abbey or out through Alveston, Elvaston.

Nottingham now has Boris Bikes, and some signed routes out of the city along the canals and river.

Carsington is a bit lumpy on the far side to the visitor centre.

Bike hire at Middleton Top on the High Peak Trail, or Ashbourne/Parsley Hay on the Tissington Trail avoids the tough sections from High Peak Junction up to Middleton Top. Get a bike from Parsley Hay and head a couple of flat miles up the trail to the Royal Oak gastro pub at Hurdlow, blow your mind and belly and pootle back. Or walk it if you want a walk with a pub!

Also got bike hire at Hicks Lodge. The family routes are nice, the blue is very twisty and bermy but can be ridden at any speed once confidence is up a bit.

Duane…
    Free Member

Cheers. Think we might go check out Hicks Lodge, sounds alright – is there an equivalent with easy MTB trails in the Peak District anywhere?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Oohh,,the Red Lion at Hognaston, next village along from Carsington Water..

Hope it’s still as good as it was 10 years ago..

blurty

No, its not Im afarid

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

If you like proper Beer. Go to the Alexandra Hotel just around from the Brunswick.

wrightyson
    Free Member

High peak trail for totally flat bike hire. Carsington water is not hilly. Odd nice climb but even my sorry ass can get round on a full suss in 30 mins. Much more interesting than the trail as it’s got a coupla worth while stops if you picnic etc.

iain1775
    Free Member

Also Rutland Water isn’t that far away and has bike hire, flatter than Carsington (which isn’t hilly)

And Balti International just up the road from you is a cracking curry house (take your own booze)

bikebouy
    Free Member

blurty – Member

No, its not Im afraid

No?
    Awe 🙁

MoreCashThanDash

For non-riders, the far side of Carsington is challenging – short little climbs, fast little descents with gravelly corners at the bottom. I got the impression from the OP that they were after easy rides for non-cyclists.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in Derby/Midlands’ is closed to new replies.