Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Things to do in Cornwall, when it's raining.
  • rockhopper70

Heading down there on Saturday, just in time for the monsoon forecast for next week.
    I was hoping for sunny weather to enjoy the area, lands end, Eden project, beaches, fishing villages, etc etc, the usual touristy things.
    Looks like this might be a wash ou so any good indoors attractions at all?

Ta

jam-bo

Eden is indoors, sort of. and rammed when its raining.

go surfing. you won’t get any wetter.

Mooly
    Free Member

Surfing

Bruce

The same things you would do when it’s not raining with a coat on.

loddrik
    Free Member

Carbis Bay beach is still pretty full even in the rain. Gotta love the British. They’ve come for a summer holiday and a summer holiday is what they are damn well having!!

woody2000

Things to do in Cornwall, when it’s raining.

Drinking. Lots and lots of drinking 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Surfing & Rock Pooling.

fionap

Without knowing whether you have kids etc..

Tate St Ives
    National Maritime Museum (Falmouth)
    St Austell brewery
    Porthcurno Telegraph Museum
    National Trust places
    Trago Mills (Liskeard version – it’s an ‘experience’)

Other than that, as Bruce says. Everything you would do anyway but wear waterproofs and stop in more cafes for tea and cake.

the-muffin-man

If you have kids the Geevor Tin Mine (seriously!).

We went a couple of years ago, and it’s well worth a visit.

Home

IHN

Beer. Pasties.

rockhopper70

Yep, three kids.
    Not taking bikes.

zokes
    Free Member

Get wet, I would have thought…

Pz_Steve

Whereabouts are you staying? It’s a long old county and the traffic is usually appalling on a wet August day. (eg Eden would be a couple of hours drive from Lands End).

Do you have kids? What kind of things are you into? How tight a budget are you on?

Well known attractions include:
    Eden – VERY expensive, hideously busy on a wet day, but worth doing once
    Maritime Museum, Falmouth – good for a mooch about on a wet day, helps if you’re into boats (I know, this is insightful stuff)
    Minack Theatre, Porthcurno – good value, stunning location, but outdoors only and won’t take long. And check their website first as they have a lot of things on (“plays” I think they’re called), when they’re closed to the general public.
    Tate St Ives – great…. IF YOU LIKE ST IVES SCHOOL OF ART! Otherwise dreadful (though a cool building).

Slightly off the radar attractions include
    The Telegraph Museum, Porthcurno – the most surprising attraction in Cornwall. Sounds dull as ditchwater, is absolutely fascinating. Brilliant for kids and adults alike, and it’s indoors (also just down the road from the Minack).
    Seal Sanctuary, Gweek – my favourite attraction, but not cheap and pretty much all outdoors
    Penlee Art Gallery, Penzance – the polar opposite of Tate St Ives
    Barbara Hepworth Sculpture Garden, St Ives – run by Tate St Ives, but a little oasis of calm in the horror that is St Ives in summer

I work in the tourism industry in Cornwall (and have worked at half the places mentioned above), so feel free to drop me a line if you want any more info. snooozy AT gmx D0T com (yes, there are 3 “o” s)

If you’re bringing your bike, Poldice Valley is worth exploring…

perchypanther
    Free Member

The Telegraph Museum, Porthcurno – the most surprising attraction in Cornwall. Sounds dull as ditchwater, is absolutely fascinating. Brilliant for kids and adults alike, and it’s indoors (also just down the road from the Minack).

+1 for this. It’s been pissing down every time i’ve been.

carlphillips
    Free Member

mount hawke skatepark is great for the kids to burn off some energy but I’ve no idea if you are remotely close to it.

rockhopper70

We are staying just north of St Austell.
    We had planned on getting our money’s worth of our NT membership, doing St Michaels mount, trevant tin mine and llanrhydock house for starters.
    Eden is on the list, the expense somewhat quashed with tesco clubcard and a two for one admissions card issued with gardners world magazine back in May.
    Maritime museum and telegraph museum are ones to add to the list so thanks for the heads up.

LoCo
    Free Member

http://www.national-aquarium.co.uk/ bit of a drive but worth it.

and surfing,

0630 at Watergate was quite nice this morning 😀

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Brewery tour of Skinners (not the most glamorous brewery) but the drinking after more than makes up for it! then wander into Truro and carry on the session booooom.

Body boarding/trying to surf in a storm (tide coming in), beach was unsurprisingly empty, was one of the funnest things we did, we got smashed by the waves and the currents were brutal, my son loved it and we all survived.

CountZero

Sadly, weather’s looking more than a little unseasonal for the next week or so:
    [/url]Untitled by Adrian Hillier, on Flickr

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Like others said, surfing, rockpooling? I’d add kayaking, fishing trips etc. Anyone been to the Bicycle Museum? Always thought about it but never got my act together.

MrOvershoot

CountZero – Member

Sadly, weather’s looking more than a little unseasonable for the next week or so:

No that is fairly usual for Cornwall, weather.com – cornwall/averages/august

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Steer clear of Boscastle !

singletrackmind

Goonhilly Down
    Coverack harbour
    Padstein
    Polzeath Beach

mark90
    Free Member

CZ, what weather all is that? I’m currently using yr.no but that one looks interesting too.

jam-bo

It’s the weather pro iOS app.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Go home

mark90
    Free Member

Thanks jambo, I’ll have a look at the Android version.

maloney19710776
    Free Member

Bodmin Prison &
    Goonhilly Earth Station

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in Cornwall, when it's raining.’ is closed to new replies.