Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Things to do around Malaga
  • hot_fiat

We’re (Me, Mrs Fiat + our 1 year old son + in-laws) off to Malaga on Saturday for two weeks* to catch some late sun. Apart from lie on a beach and bake our brains, what is there to do? We’ll have a hire car so there’s no problem in getting around, but anything beyond 2 hours drive is out. I was thinking that at least a day out to Granada and perhaps a trip up to Valeta to see the mountains might be cool. What else is there?

*Ok, so I own up, half way through I’m clearing off to spend a week with Ciclo Montana, while Mrs Fiat** and her parents continue to bake their brains.

**<smug mode>Yes, she is perfect.</smug mode>

jota180
    Free Member

There’s a nice (newish) train that runs all the way down the Costa Del Sol to Fuengirola
    For a couple of Euros, you can visit a different resort each day

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cercanias/malaga/index.html

Gary_M
    Free Member

The caves at Nerja are very good, well worth a trip. These things are usually a bit disappointing but these were spectacular. Thats about a 60 minute drive, all motorway.

While you’re that was spend the evening in Nerja, lovely place. I know the area around there very well but don’t know the area closer to Malaga really.

Apart from lie on a beach and bake our brains, what is there to do?

You may be a touch disappointed then, my wife was there last weekend and it pished it down the whole time. Although I think its picked up again.

chakaping
    Free Member

Malaga city’s quite pleasant. I like it anyway.

There’s some nice stuff to see up in the hills behind Nerja IIRC, Frigillana, Competa – if you like old Spanish hill towns.

Granada is stunning yeah, and in the other direction there’s Ronda (Google for pics) and the other side of that the Sierra Grazalema – awesome white mountains where I did some hiking a few years ago.

Klunk
    Free Member

scare yourself shitless and drive to Ronda

hot_fiat

Yeah Nerja looked great, I was trying to find hotels around there but they’re either full, stupendously expensive or closed for the season. I’ll look up the caves. I fully expect it to rain.

julians
    Free Member

Seeing as you’ll have your bike, and a hire car. take a short drive (20mins maybe) down the motorway to benalmedina, get to the cable car near tivoli world, pay for a lift ticket and then do the various DH runs back down from the top, easily a day to be had doing that. Great fun.

northernmatt

The drive to Ronda is great just don’t go on the back roads as they are even scarier than the main road.

66deg
    Free Member

The caves at Nerja are very good, well worth a trip. These things are usually a bit disappointing but these were spectacular. Thats about a 60 minute drive, all motorway.

+1
    When i visited i thought that the first section of cave was it and was impressed ,then we moved through to the main chamber absolutely amazing
    well worth a trip.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I broke my arm riding there with Switchbacks.

Apparently there’s a worthwhile art galery in Malaga, cant remember the name but I think it was a branch of one of the big ones, (like Tate Malaga, but not the Tate).

There’s a Columbus monument, bit wierd, it’s an open air theater, but worth a mooch for an hour.

Other than that I just pointed my nose uphill and went for some hikes.

jerseychaz

If its less than clement weatherwise, there’s a good Motor Museum in the South of the City. Has free WiFi 🙂

CaptJon
    Free Member

Eat! The food is amazing. The tapas served in the bars and restaurants here is superb (the secret is to follow the locals). A short bus ride/drive east will bring you here which has some superb fish restaurants right on the beach.

Picasso museum
    Cathedral
    Walk up the Alcazaba

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi my mum lives in a small village near Malaga called Mondron. There is a fabulous dead authentic bar there and the food is fantastic on a Sunday or just the free tapas with beer. You’d be hanging out with goat herders and old men but it’s brilliant.

As said Malaga town is good for a few days, Picasso museum and cathedral. They also have the city walls and viewpoint. The beach isn’t up to much mind. Nerja is cool but very touristy. Rhonda is great but Granada is fantastic, so so good .
    There are some wicked nature parks nearby too.

fbk
    Free Member

We’re off to Nerja this weekend – it’s full because of the Feria (horsey festival) going on so may be as well to avoid the centre.
    Another vote for Ronda though – amazing place. A bit touristy but stunning scenery/architecture.

creagbhan

We were in the area 2 weeks ago and the caves at Nerja were closed due to conservation concerns on the cave paintings. Frigiliana was nice though.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

go to marbella and hire a bike and ride up the a397 to ronda.. its about 2971ft of hill but so so awesome on the way down 🙂

scotroutes

Nerja
    You can make it to Gibraltar and back if you don’t mind the drive
    Selwo Adventure/Safari Park near Villacana
    The cable cars at Benalmadena
    Mijas
    The National Parks are generally worth a wander around. You can drive right into the Parque Sierra del Nieves.
    If you get a chance, hire a bike in Ronda and go for a wee self-guided tour from there. It’s quite a climb up the old roman road from the bottom of that bridge though!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pz9aor]P1010174[/url] by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

IvanDobski
    Free Member

If you’re even remotely interested in climbing go inland to El Chorro hire some kit, do some sport routes in the sun and then leave the kids with somebody and go round the Camino Del Rey. (If you don’t mind heights!)

I believe it was getting “sanitised” to use a mtbing term so poss more accessible than I remember but in it’s ruined state it was certainly an experience…

andybanks
    Free Member

I’m in Nerja now – stopping in a villa overlooking the Spain Vs Germany u17 match that’s happening here

Granada is worth a trip – we’ve done that today and it’s only 50 mins by car
    For nice quiet beaches head for Torox or Velez Malaga as they’re very quiet at the moment

LimboJimbo

+1 for Ronda, Granada and the Sierra Nevada. If you find you’re over that way, the Embalse de Guadalhorce is worth a look. Spectacular reservoirs with some great walks round them.

[/url]P1100349 by Required Listening, on Flickr[/img]

Taken about the same time of year in 2012.

We are going out again on Saturday for couple of days with my Dad, before he starts Radiotherapy at the end of the month. You’ll have a great time.

scandal42
    Free Member

Don’t do what 99% of people do who say they are going to Malaga and not go to Malaga 😀

It’s a really nice city with great buildings and plenty of history. The Picasso museum is fantastic and easily worth the visit.

The lookout over the city is also great, wonderful views over the port etc.

Good food everywhere as well.

I swear most people think Malaga is an airport.

TinMan
    Free Member

El Torcal national park is impressive with a good little walk through the limestone pinnacles and interesting rock formations.
    Antequera just beyond will consume the rest of the day with churches eating etc.

TinMan
    Free Member

Also malaga castle is excellent when junior gets older, our 3&5yr olds loved running round the old walls (even in the April rain)

hot_fiat

Thanks for all the ideas, some great ones here. Between them and servicing my rear wheel on a balcony I should have enough to do!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Things to do around Malaga’ is closed to new replies.