Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Things that were better before health and safety ruined them?
  • zoo200
    Free Member

The baby Jesus.

samuri
    Free Member

Bikes.
    Nowadays they’re all really good and put together with the forks on the right way round. In the olden days you’d get one with the wheels on backwards or it’d be a Raleigh chopper just waiting to go round a corner before losing control and throwing your knackers onto a gear stick.

Remember those god-awful full-suss Klein’s that rammed you up the arse every time you put the brakes on?
    Or those disk wheels that wobbled sideways under load?
    How about those adjusta-stems?
    Rear suspension only bikes?

They don’t make dangerous kit like that any more.

ryan91
    Free Member

The HSE haven’t really ruined anything, it’s the people who are “health and safety experts” with no hands on experience or legal knowledge, employed by our firms who do little but impose PPE rather than tackle the real issues.

RCD’s have taken the fun out of things somewhat, especially when popping some toast on whilst having a bath. Never were the stakes so high.

enfht
    Free Member

Kia-Ora

br
    Free Member

In an interesting turn of events this evening, the wife mentioned above looks like becoming my ex-wife in the foreseeable future. (It was always going to happen, just a matter of when).

We’re still looking for a picture 🙂

Ewan
    Free Member

Weedkiller – you used to be able to get some that would kill weeds in an area for a few years. Now it wears off in a couple of weeks. Ironically prompting me to consider dumping fuel down or salt…

devbrix
    Free Member

Job done!

cloudnine
    Free Member

WCA back on a ladder?

moniex
    Free Member

Last time I was at Brixton academy they had those lovely no crowd surfing signs up, not that I took any notice of them of course :0).

They did start putting up those barriers between the crowd and the stage in various small ish venues (lived in holland then, but I am sure they started doing the same here) in the 90’s, made stage diving much harder!

Last festival I went to was in Belgium, much more relaxed on H and S over there. We had a great time, managed to crowd surf all the way around one of the tents. They even had the campsite on one side of the dual carriage way, and the festival site on the other side with 24h lollipop type people?! Belgium is great!

Ambrose

“Belgium is great!” That is the first time I have ever heard that said!

Jamie
    Free Member

Apparently the guy is 84…

JoeG
    Free Member

Forks without the lawyer lips on the dropouts! 😡 You could actually use the quick release as intended; open lever, remove wheel. No unscrewing the nut a bunch of turns, then the reverse when putting the wheel back on. 😡

It won’t matter pretty soon as everything is going to thru axles, though.

konabunny
    Free Member

Chip wrappers, always were better in newspaper!

Not a health and safety choice, surely?

batfink
    Free Member

Any kind of beeping “alert” in a car is a step-backwards in my opinion…. particularly relating to seatbelts not done up.

We had a hire-care in the alps, put the back seats down, loaded-up with skiing gear…. and beepbeepbeepbeep. The weight of the luggage was making it think somebody was sitting on the rear seats (without being belted-up).

Couldn’t figure-out how to cancel the beeping.

Unload car, unfold seats, do-up seatbelts, re-fold seats, reload car…. beepbeepbeepbeep. GAH!

Unload car, unfold seats, do-up seatbelts INCLUDING MIDDLE SEAT, re-fold seats, reload car.

Although to be honest – that’s probably more to do with French cars than “advances” in health and safety.

tazzymtb

The removal of dcm from paint strippers for use by joe public ( it can still be used by professional companies with correct control measures) is part of the e.u.REACH regulstions to remove products whic contain known carcinogenic/ toxic/harmful/ environmentally damaging materials etc… the problem with dcm is that is was very good a killing people whos idea of adequate ventilation was to open a small window whilst stripping an entire door in a garage or basement, assuming that they actually read any instructions in the first place to even see the ventilation bit!. Pretty much all the “hse gone mad” stuff mentioned in this thread is litigation and insurance based rather than hse, caused by fkwits who sue for their own stupidity and kack of personal responsibility

anyway, don’t let facts get in the way of your daily mailesque rantette.

konabunny
    Free Member

Any kind of beeping “alert” in a car is a step-backwards in my opinion…. particularly relating to seatbelts not done up.

But it works to get dickheads to wear their seatbelt…

gwaelod
    Free Member

The HSE haven’t really ruined anything, it’s the people who are “health and safety experts” with no hands on experience or legal knowledge, employed by our firms who do little but impose PPE rather than tackle the real issues.

Hang on…this isn’t about police road safety campaigns aimed at cyclists

jekkyl

Rolfs Cartoon club!

nemesis
    Free Member

Samurai

Remember those god-awful full-suss Klein’s that rammed you up the arse every time you put the brakes on?

I’ll be riding mine at the Bristol Bikefest in a couple of weeks 🙂 You’re right, mind, it does do that…

Flaperon

I got reported at work by an officious ground handler for not wearing ear defenders. I pointed that I turned off all the stuff that makes noise before heading outside, and since I was the sole authority for turning it back on I was fairly confident it would stay off.

Didn’t wash, unfortunately. Now I just try not to get caught.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Flaperon,

surely you feign deafness at that point and the wind is taken out of his sails?!
    I feign blindness below 100′. Avoids having to apologise for heavy landings….

atlaz
    Free Member

Can’t be. Belgium is pretty cool, in a no-nonsense kind of way. They just get on with stuff and tend not to get involved with other people’s stuff. The place ran for years without a “proper” government, just civil servants getting on with things.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Changing front wheels before lawyer lips

DezB
    Free Member

Being a kid – conkers and The Bumps.

GrahamA
    Free Member

You need to find someone to sell you some Paramose Professional Paint and Varnish Remover

Cheeper than Nitromors and still full of Dichloromethane goodness but as tazzymtb says be carefull you will need one of these Organic Vapour and Particulate Respirator plus googles and gloves

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Safety glasses, took all the fun out of cutting and grinding metal.

marcus7
    Free Member

lead out of solder for most applications, talk about a change for the worse…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Going for a pee after a morning spent with Ye Olde Worlde Nitromors

PJM1974
    Free Member

Wham bars. I’m sure they’re smaller and considerably less chewy.

I blame The Tories Health & Safety.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Gobstoppers

konabunny
    Free Member

I think I have a mid-80s vintage can of nitromors in the garage, perhaps I should put it on ebay…

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Outward Bound Instructors

choppersquad
    Free Member

Petrol lawnmowers.
    Mine won’t stay running when you empty the grassbox.
    Pain in the butt.
    Manufactures probably worried about the advantages of users still having two hands after cutting the grass?
    Lightweights!

project
    Free Member

toolstation, all staff must wear gloves at all times, even trying to get money out of the till, was bad enough now thyre told not to carry anything, even a box of screws must be transported in a noisy plastic tub on nylon wheels, that you cant hear what is being said over the noise and the radio.

Fit rubber wheels.

Olly
    Free Member

Its called “paint brush restorer” these days, but you can still get it.

We did some work for a roofer who “didnt believe in elf and safety, its all twaddle, i dont need scaffolding”. the following visit we did he had fallen out of his van and bust his leg. I pointed out that ANY height you can fall from comes under working at height regs. He didnt get it.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Why do Tool station staff have to wear gloves?

project
    Free Member

incase .they injure their hands putting dangerous tools into plastic bags for us customers.

They seriously should have cup holders for the free tea and soup they have sometimes, very hot.

takisawa2

Trichloroethylene degreasing plants.
    Hods (for carrying bricks).
    Twin tub washing machines, where the spinner used to carry on after the lid went up.!!!
    Train doors with drop down windows. Nowt like arriving at Euston with a 100mph hair style.
    Terracing at football grounds.
    The odd ruckus at away games. (Not 10 on to one, mercilessly stamping some poor sod to death).

marcus7
    Free Member

You been in the Chester branch project, the coffee is like lava!. I get it, buy stuff and then sit in the car for an hour waiting for it to cool!! 😯

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Things that were better before health and safety ruined them?’ is closed to new replies.