Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • things that may improve my car.
  • unovolo
    Free Member

Strange way to illustrate your point – with some povvo spec Wolfrace shite

‘Welcome to STW home of the wheel snob’,sorry if they offend you so much.
    Next time I’ll make sure I only post pictures of Graphene impregnated diamond encrusted BBS that have been hand cleaned with Unicorn tears.

JonBoy
    Free Member

I love this place.

jamesfts
    Free Member

But the OP said something less than a re-map, despite all the subsequent posts about new alloys (though apparently “poverty spec”) and “slamming” things.

True but a map is the only thing that is going to make any noticeable difference, especially on a turbo charged car.

Welcome to STW home of the wheel snob

You’re thinking of Edition 38 😉

scotroutes

Have you thought about washing it?

tron
    Free Member

The 2.0 Vectra Turbo is basically a Vectra with a slightly detuned SAAB B207 engine.

The shopping list is:
    The correct NGK plugs. PFR6T-10G is the SAAB specification. Don’t take equivalents from anyone else, you need NGKs. The car uses the plugs to monitor combustion and needs to have the ones it was designed for.
    Decent oil. GM Dexos 2 or Mobil 1.
    Check the thing is boosting right – bypass valve diaphragms can split, and on the high boost SAAB engines the intercooler can balloon a bit. From memory Evo 7 ones fit fairly easily if you want to upgrade.
    Shell v-power, or 5l of gun wash thinners in the tank if you’re feeling tight. The engine management system monitors knock and can take advantage of high octane fuel.
    Lastly, Noobtune can usually find an extra 40 or 50 horses for not much cash.

Beyond that the modifications get spendy – the downpipe and cat become limiting factors.

tron
    Free Member

Oh and don’t mess about with tuning boxes, resistors or valves to stop the sensors seeing the real boost levels. Noobtune isn’t much dearer for a remap.
    And the B207 engines don’t have sludge issues, the B2x4 engines in the 9-5 did.

mechanicaldope

1×11 and a dropper?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Punt it. You’re wasting your time thinking it can be meaningfully improved, it’s a bog standard family 4 with no outstanding features.

Sorry but there it is.

Get a 95 Aero or something if you fancy a fast GM ish car.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

a) As the yanks do, you could recycle the top layer of your old kitchen work tops and glue them to the sides of your car for that authentic US of A ‘station-wagon’ look.
    Surprised that it hasn’t caught on here in the UK.

b) this chap sounds interesting

http://www.somender-singh.com/index.html

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

afaik, you have to run any any mods done to your car past your insurer.

Apparently, even something as trivial as a bumper sticker can invalidate your cover. Stay safe 8)

wilburt
    Free Member

Grow up.

benji
    Free Member

Apparently, even something as trivial as a bumper sticker can invalidate your cover.

Have you any evidence for that bumper sticker comment? Because that sounds more like internet rumour/legend passed off as fact, but is a complete load of made up nonsense.

Nico
    Free Member

Have you any evidence for that bumper sticker comment? Because that sounds more like internet rumour/legend passed off as fact, but is a complete load of made up nonsense.

Indeed. However I did recently read of an insurance claim that was rejected because a car had been fitted with a non-OEM bumper and grill. It wasn’t some mod, just a pattern part, that was only identified after a shunt. I think this was in Which. They disputed it for the owner and the insurers caved in pretty quickly, as they usually do when confronted with some bad publicity. I guess it is pretty random how and when they wriggle out of paying on such iffy grounds. No bumper sticker nonsense though.

Sui
    Free Member

gun wash thinner 😯 (also illegalist)

stick to decent fuel and decent lubes.

bikebouy
    Free Member

What do those tuners do in the States? add Nitro or something?

That Gun Wash Thinners looks like it’ll make it go “whoooof” for sure, but not down the road just in a ball of flames.. 😆

jimjam
    Free Member

You can add actual octane booster to fuel if you need to increase the octane rating.

Sui
    Free Member

unless the formula has changed (which i hope it has) that contains METHYL
    CYCLOPENTADIENYL MANGANESE TRICARBONYL MMT which is bitch nasty stuff and also puts many many deposits on your valves. Currently outlawed in the US.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sui, since you are on this thread.. some bloke told me about this supposedly wonder oil treatment that bakes ceramic coating onto your engine parts… called RVS.. statistically likely to be snake-oil of course but the theory was sound. Plus his car was particularly smooth.

Anyone heard of this stuff?

JonBoy
    Free Member

Thanks to tron and others with helpful bits. This is the car I have and I actually like it a fair bit. Comfy, loads of room and cheap. I simply have better things to spend money on. I’m still waiting for my new Cannondale Slate to arrive. As in my original post just wanted to know what if anything would make a difference. The obvious banter is brilliant but there are some propper nobs on here.

Some need to get over them selves.

batfink
    Free Member

Page 3 and nobody has suggested speed holes?

Sui
    Free Member

Molly never heard of it, but can’t see how a ceramic coating could bake on when the boiling temp of ceramics is min 3800 Celsius. At best it will be a very polar coating inherent in the additive chemistry, but no different to a good oil. Some people have been playing around with nanotechnology as fuel and oil adds for years, similar thought process, but still snakeoil..

sweepy
    Free Member

unless the formula has changed (which i hope it has) that contains METHYL
    CYCLOPENTADIENYL MANGANESE TRICARBONYL MMT

Thats easy for you to say

Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘things that may improve my car.’ is closed to new replies.