Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)
  • things that may improve my car.
  • JonBoy
    Free Member

Besides from remap and big things would little things like air filter, plugs and anything else like this make any real difference to the cars performance?

scotroutes

Some bodywork?

JonBoy
    Free Member

Want!

thepurist

porter_jamie

michelin pilot sport tyres.

Drac

onandon
    Free Member

Yes, ^ these a geometry check and some advanced lessons.

Edit – these, as in the tyres not the seat covers 🙂 .

slowoldman

Decent lights.

yunki
    Free Member

breast enlargements

mattyfez

Performance tyres is probably the sensible answer.

Depending on mileage, refreshing or upgrading suspension bushes and other suspension components will sharpen up the handling.

mattyfez

Upgraded disks and pads could also be an option, you don’t need to go crazy, just go for the same size direct replacements, but performance ones rather than oem.

matt_outandabout

trail_rat
    Free Member

Improve what aspect ?

Plugs wont make it any better at carrying a bike if its an mr2

And a bike rack wont make it run right if the plugs and leads are fugged

somafunk

Tell us what the car is, milage,service history etc.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

bearnecessities

A blonde with huge knockers in the passenger seat.

(EDIT: They both need to be in the passenger seat, not just the knockers)

Lionheart
    Free Member

What is it? And where/ how do you drive. Usually changing it is the best thing! however if you have a half decent bit of kit in its class, then it’s tyres (changed to Mich pilots,as said above, on my current and a big improvement), suspension (change this on half our cars, significant difference), brakes (just pads on one of ours made a big difference) , maybe a re-map (this very effective on turbo diesels).

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Buy a Maserati.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

would little things like air filter, plugs and anything else like this make any real difference to the cars performance?

No, not unless they are buggered in the first place.

whatgoesup

Insider tip – adjusting the injector boost dump bias valve 3 degrees clockwise is a tip the manufacturer has been hiding from us

benji
    Free Member

First things first, power doesn’t come cheap. Secondly there is no replacement for displacement. Thirdly better spending money improving the driver than the driven, if on a tight budget as skills are transferable to any vehicle. Gaining a driving licence only means you were better than the lowest standard required.

JonBoy
    Free Member

Car has (mostly) full service history. 80k 10 years old. Its a Vauxhal Vectra 2.0 turbo. Has good tyres on it at the mo (but winter ones). The car is in good condition. Just had new brakes hoses, track rods and anti roll bar links. Just wondering really. Little service due soon so was wondering if they make a difference then maybe I could do them.

dknwhy

Fire.

scaredypants

All of the above (except for the tyres 🙄 )
    but, pound for pound, a coat of this would work best:

Drac

Ah! Vectra best way to improve it is to sell it. 😀

bear-uk
    Free Member

Lower and stiffer springs will make it handle better. Preferably with some new shockers.

JonBoy
    Free Member

Was waiting for the sell it thing. I actually really like it as a car. Can get loads of crap in it.

thepurist

Almost as if they had crap in mind when they designed it 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Secondly there is no replacement for displacement.

People keep saying this, but surely that’s exactly what a turbocharger is?

JonBoy
    Free Member

I’m not saying another word. *turns back and sulks*

Suggsey
    Free Member

There is no way of improving a Vectra 2 l turbo, oh hang on there is swap it for a Saab 😆

STATO
    Free Member

I actually really like it as a car. Can get loads of crap in it.

things that may improve my car.

Take all the crap out of it.

TheFlyingOx

If it’s a turbo, then it needs to breathe easy. Plugs and stuff are not going to make even the slightest noticeable difference.

1. Induction kit. No idea what’s about for Vectras but something that looks like this should do the job:

2. Higher flow intercooler
    3. Larger bore (i.e. free flowing) exhaust
    4. Decat (not road legal) or performance cat (possibly road legal)
    5. Boost pressure regulator, about £15 on eBay for a cheap grainger valve type. It’s a delicate thing, boost. You’ll need a decent boost gauge for fine tuning if you don’t want to pop your engine.
    6. Possibly a fuel-cut defeat chip thing, depending on how your ECU reacts to higher boost.

Probably a good idea to look at improved cooling/ignition/suspension/brakes/tyres at the same time.

I wholeheartedly agree with many of the above posters though: is it worth it on a Vectra?

BadlyWiredDog

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQN-0zvZNbY[/video]

Fifth Gear did some really basic stuff to a Corrado, plugs, air filter, oil etc and fuel stuff and measured the power after each bit. Did make a difference.

Chip it? As in one of those wood-chipping machines… 😉

JonBoy
    Free Member

Don’t want to do anything nuts, just wondered if anything within the realms of normal service stuff. Will need an exhaust soon.

timber

Change it if you’re serious, otherwise you’re just polishing a turd.

Having had a 3.0, 4 cylinder, displacement has a lot going for it. Run a few turbo cars too, they’re good with some big gains possible, but not the same.

Decided against Stage 1 for the Octavia (150 to 220’ish). Crap VAG brakes would need attention, it handles like a bouncy castle at pace due to lifted 4×4 suspension and it’s approaching 200k. Starting a process of polybushing is removing a lot of slop.

legend
    Free Member

bear-uk – Member

Lower and stiffer springs will make it handle better. Preferably with some new shockers.

Lowering springs on the original, 10 year old, shocks would certainly be an experience!

TheFlyingOx

Don’t want to do anything nuts, just wondered if anything within the realms of normal service stuff. Will need an exhaust soon.

I’ve always found performance exhausts to be cheaper than manufacturer replacements, and it will certainly help. After that, performance air filter rather than full replacement induction kit. Between the two you might just eek out an extra 5-10bhp. £15 grainger valve for boost control and a £35 boost gauge would then potentially add another 10-20bhp, but without supporting upgrades you run the very real risk of either running too lean = engine knock = kaboom, or just too much boost for your head gasket = kaboom.

legend
    Free Member

I’ve always found performance exhausts to be cheaper than manufacturer replacements, and it will certainly help.

Yup. e.g. £750 for a Renault (pre-rusted from the factory one) of £350 for a stainless steel from a variety of places to suit tastes.

I’d look at getting it remapped to least 500bhp

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘things that may improve my car.’ is closed to new replies.