Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Things that make your job easier…
  • StirlingCrispin

Word macros.

A tedious multi- hour job interlinking documents and cross-references can now be done automatically.

I haven’t told anyone this though 😉

mogrim

Sublime Text 2 and knowing how to use RegEx.

Rich_s

Variety. And decent flip chart stands.

Drac

Just dictaphone it?

It’s easier to use your finger.

joshvegas
    Free Member

An IT department who all appear to work flex time. 8am on a Monday or 4pm on a Friday? No chance!

Google for IT fixes.

cobrakai

Shut London city airport and ban all American registered business jets from UK airspace. Eradicate thunderstorms.

Pyro

A salmon-shaped stuffed toy/cushion.

Means I’m far less likely to get fired for slapping one of our technicians about the head with a real wet fish.

Murray

Bose sound cancelling headphones make my housework much easier – I don’t mind doing the vacuum cleaning as I can listen to a book. Better add in the mobile phone too as that’s what streams the book. And Audible.

CountZero

I think you mean the dualling of the single carriageway section over Bodmin moor. At least the roadworks meant they were doing something.

That’s very true, it’s just that having to share the works section with all the grockles and emmets during the holiday season was getting very wearing.
    So glad it’s all finished now.

scruffywelder
    Free Member

crosshair – Member
    100hp 4×4 tractor and loader- soooo many uses! Saves a lot of lifting

^^^This!!^^^

Only surpassed by the telehandler. Bagging up seed barley by any chance?

globalti
    Free Member

Been visiting customers in Lagos this week and for the first time ever we have Google maps here, meaning we can check routes to our next meeting and choose the one that hasn’t got a massive Lagos go-slow. Unfortunately this is causing chaos in the carefully-ordered mind of Mathhias the driver who has been driving around Lagos for 25 years so has “The Knowledge” and often can’t understand why we want to go a different way to his habitual way, which causes him to tut and make funny grunting noises as if he’s on the point of saying something.

However, yes, Google Maps has made life easier here and we only hit one monster go-slow all week. Drop in with the little yellow man and have a drive around the city, it’s fascinating.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Lots of things, but ultimately the microchip. Without it I’d have to do lots and lots of long, tedious equations by hand.

Also this

metalheart
    Free Member

@organic: I’ve two of those (my original one I got 25 years ago and the ‘spare’ I blagged off the rep as back up just in case… 😀 ).

What I really need is the computers that were ordered in February to finally arrive, get all the software loaded and the training for the team organised… try producing tenders without cad/modelling, design or specification software!

And after that I could do with more hours in the day and more days in the week. And a couple more people in the team to farm the work out to… rapidly turning from a working engineer into a manager (was told it was 50/50)

tiim
    Free Member

JT2Go – A piece of CAD software that lets me view complex / large catia models in a lightweight environment which will run on my laptop allowing me to do design checks and reviews without having to sit at a CAD station in the middle of the office.

A second monitor – two monitors is amazing, genuine productivity booster, excel tracker on one, drawings on the other, doc on one, email on the other etc. etc. (Only beaten by my old triple monitor setup . . .)

thegreatape
    Free Member

Rain. Which is an abundant commodity up here.

jruk
    Free Member

A pragmatic and forward thinking IT security team that allow current kit and systems… Oh wait, what was that… Did you just say the cloud is dangerous and we can’t use video calls because they’re not secure… OK, 3 of us will spend £600 on travel and a day out the office for a 2 hour meeting that we could do on Skype. <I’m not bitter, honest>

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Kayak was that your Router? If so was it homemade?

For me at actual work (offshore) remote control units when given a chance, but not on current projects. At home a dust extractor that fits to power tools

finephilly
    Free Member

my own music. no more petty arguments over which radio station is on!

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Things that make your job easier…’ is closed to new replies.