• This topic has 39 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by _tom_.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Things that make mountain biking brilliant
  • rascal
    Free Member

Here’s one.
    Starting at the top of Coed y Brenin’s Gomez…followed by Morticia, Pugsley, Pugley’s Bottom, Lurch then Uncle Fester in one go. Blinking bloody brilliant! Guaranteed massive grin all the way down 😆

fathomer

Agreed Wayne, brilliant bit of trail.

Mine this weekend was being up here:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/JyrLwc]Helvellyn Summit[/url] by Sam Dexter, on Flickr

5thElefant
    Free Member

4.8″ tyres 🙂

sandwicheater

The calenders

matt_outandabout

The different air temperatures as you burst out the forest, or drop in and out of dips.
    The hollow sound of tyres on dry, peaty soil.
    The feel of water on your legs after a watersplash.
    How much ground you can cover in a day.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Being on the summit of a mountain, with clear views and a big descent awaiting, is one of life’s absolute joys.

And a pub at the bottom.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Yesterday I got paid to put kids on bikes and show them how to ride a pumptrack. Slightly broken today but good fun and wouldn’t have been doing it if I hadn’t bought an MTB almost 30 years ago.

stewartc
    Free Member

Those moments of silence
    The feeling of accomplishment as you push yourself past an obstacle
    The sweet taste of a well earned pint

rascal
    Free Member

Hi Sam – Helvellyn eh? Up the zigzags and down Sticks? Good ride that.

fathomer

rascal – Member
    Hi Sam – Helvellyn eh? Up the zigzags and down Sticks? Good ride that.

Indeed, top day on the bike!

jekkyl

.The thrill of speed.
    .Starting a ride and looking at the far off hill that this ride will take you to the top of.

mark90
    Free Member

Riding alone
    Riding with friends

Strava, well someone had to say it 🙂

jemima
    Free Member

It occurs to me when I speak to friends who sail, rock climb, ski, snowboard, mountaineer, wind surf etc etc that mountain biking is a fantastically weather independent activity. Unless the weather is truly extreme/horrendous one can nearly always go for a bike ride. I really, really like that.

ebennett

Giggling like a little schoolgirl after just managing to stay upright through a sketchy section

colp

Building jumps then riding them with your son.

[video]http://youtu.be/I_XVy1dchUo[/video]

RustySpanner

When I was eight I got a Grifter.
    I used to run home from school, get changed and rag it round the tight, steep track just round the corner in Boggart Hole Clough, as did every kid from a few miles around.

I’m 48 now and it’s a MTB, not a Grifter and Hurstwood trails not Blackley, but it seems no one’s grown up that much.
    🙂

There’s got to be something in it, surely?

stevied
    Free Member

Climbing up through the trees then breaking out into the open to see the views, in full, that you’ve caught glimpses of on the way up 🙂

larkim
    Free Member

Boggart Hole Clough? Delamere? It feels like my life is being stalked here…

RustySpanner

You’re safe.

North Manchester.
    Big old park ,bandstand, cafe, zoo(?) etc.
    Overgrown nicely by the 70’s.

Lots of what I’d now called singletrack, tight, twisty rooty, off camber stuff.
    Steep too.
    Real bombholes.

Heaven as a kid.

I didn’t know there was another one.
    😀

martinhutch

Smiling so much at views and big skies that you miss your turnoff, have to backtrack, but don’t care because you get to see the other direction…

Swaledale yesterday was looking gorgeous.

bigh
    Free Member

My blummin mates that’s what (I was very lucky to have circumvented the auto correct there or that would have been entirely different)

And the now huge amount of people I know thanks solely to bikes that I stop and have a chat with in the Forest of Dean.

And beer after…

scuttler

Starting at the top of Coed y Brenin’s Gomez…followed by Morticia, Pugsley, Pugley’s Bottom, Lurch then Uncle Fester in one go. Blinking bloody brilliant! Guaranteed massive grin all the way down

I went to CyB on Friday with a newbie but competent mate, knew nothing about the place but dropped 3 quid on the maps in order to pick out the decent bits. It just so happens that after a round of Cyflym Coch we rode up the road to do the above. I personally prefer natural to trail centres but in this instance I’ll agree – really nice bit of trail building.

funkweasel
    Free Member

The feeling of trenchfoot you get when you’re out riding in the rain and your shoes don’t let the water out.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I was out the other week and had one of those “wow” moments.

Rode from my house with the aim of doing a few miles gentle spinning. Far end of the ride I was peddling along some dry moorland singletrack and there was silence. Absolute silence apart from a whirring chain. Round the corner and had the valley where the stubborn farmer’s is in the middle of the M62 laid out in front of me. Sat in the warm evening sun, had a banana and then rode home again. No phones, no other people, nothing on my mind – was great.

And then Brexit fked it all up.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hills.

Bugger.

whitestone
    Free Member

where the stubborn farmer’s is in the middle of the M62 laid out in front of me.

Urban (rural?) myth I’m afraid – the line that each carriageway takes is the most efficient route. If they ran next to one another then either they would have had to build an embankment across the hillside or dig a long way in to the hillside.

Back on topic: When you’ve already been riding for four hours and the cafe opens early for you 😆

bullandbladder
    Free Member

The smells: wet pine forest, bluebells, wild garlic
    Putting tyre tracks into freshly-fallen snow knowing nobody else has been that way today (dunno why, but I like it)
    Solo night rides jumping at shadows

swanny853

Summer nights where it’s just warm enough to sit out at the pub in short sleeves after a ride and you can enjoy the chill riding home

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Crankworx with my son was magic.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/448170/

scaled
    Free Member

I found one of these

And some of these

Made for a bloody brilliant weekend 😀

simon80
    Free Member

Regressing to being a child. Being out in nature. The feeling of flow and being in the moment as you ride the trail – all the everyday noise just fades away.
    The sense of accomplishment as you clear a tricky obstacle,or push your limits.
    Feeling alive 😀

scandal42
    Free Member

Shredding the gnar on my massive rig, then making adjustments to my cockpit system to eek out even higher levels of trail funk.

154hopperavenue
    Free Member

Spent a great day riding the Valley. Did the Rodwell zig zags a few times. Sat on one of the rocks halfway down, put my feet up and let the world drift by. Love it…..

154hopperavenue
    Free Member

I always tell roadies ‘why ride past scenery when you can ride through it’….?

epicyclo

Mountains.

rowallan123
    Free Member

When you hit a corner perfectly and exit with more speed than when you entered with.

When you find a tenner in your camelback that you forgot was there.

When you see a newbie click and fall in love with the sport.

When you see said newbie rock up with a cool new bike.

When you realise you are grinning like a lunatic just because of the ride.

When your head empties of everything apart from the sound of your own breathing.

When your realize that you have climbed something that months ago left you blowing, and now you do not notice it.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Finding an awesome new trail. I ride off-piste in FoD a lot, and this happens all the time 😀

ton

reading this has made me realise that i am still a mountainbiker at heart.

the line about riding past the scenery rings a bell……i have been doing that through the last few years, not by choice.
    i am now gonna start to ride through the scenery again.

oh, and ordering a new bike is a brilliant feeling……….. 😉

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

😕 i ride through scenery all the time on my road bike.

Maybe you are just using the wrong roads. The longer the number the better. (No numbers is best)

_tom_
    Free Member

Likewise ton, this thread is making me miss mountain biking. I haven’t ridden for ages, just been too busy so making do with road rides so I still get some biking in my life. Hopefully getting a new frame soon and I can’t wait to get back out on a ride – might treat myself to a long mynd all dayer 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Things that make mountain biking brilliant’ is closed to new replies.