Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Things that I don’t understand
  • PJM1974
    Free Member

Curry sauce on chips is absolutely ace.

However, is it me or do no chip shops north of the Watford Gap understand what a saveloy is?

emsz
    Free Member

I think the chips/gravy thing might need a thread by itself. Well at least find out who the weirdos are LOL

RustySpanner

PJM1974 – Member

Curry sauce on chips is absolutely ace.

However, is it me or do no chip shops north of the Watford Gap understand what a saveloy is?

I think they understand perfectly well what a saveloy is.
    Which is why they don’t sell them. 🙂

caspian
    Free Member

People who queue/rush to board a plane when they have a pre-assigned seat, are going to be stuck in the plane for hours, and are going to get to the destination at the same time.

????

molgrips
    Free Member

How the Moon stays “up there”

It’s moving forward and falling towards the earth at the same rate the earth is disappearing around its own curve.

molgrips
    Free Member

The difference between chickens and hens

Chicken = the avian species
    Hen = female bird = female chicken in this case
    Cock = male bird = male chicken in this case, aka cockerel aka rooster

1960’s high rise Flats

After the war a great many houses had been demolished, by the Luftwaffe. So they build temporary prefabs. But a more sustainable solution had to be found, and population was increasing, so high rise flats meant a lot of people could live, without having to extend infrastructure all that much.

When they were built they were often considered the height of luxury. Don’t forget people an awful lot of people were still living with outside bogs and no heating at the time.

Folks that sit swiping mobiles whilst in meetings

They’re bored.

Why Trains can’t run on time

They can, and usually do. But there’s very little slack in the system. One train is followed at minimum safe distance by another, often. So if anything happens anywhere in the network that delays a train, then other trains have to wait for it to clear, then more trains have to wait for that one to clear and so on. Any problems have significant knock-on effects in the UK network.

thepurist

Equally its a cow in a field but beef on a plate… Or a pig when its alive but pork, ham, Bacon or gammon when its dead. At least lambs are consistent.

And while we’re on food, does anyone care whether their gravy is called a reduction, a jus, a veloute or whatever.

molgrips
    Free Member

Equally its a cow in a field but beef on a plate

Blame the Normans. The words for the animals are derived from Anglo-Saxon, because they were the peasants who looked after them. The words for the meat are derived from the French, because the rich Norman gentry were the ones who ate the meat farmed by the peasants.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Agree there is “something” about Claudia (nice but hard to define) but not the tall blond bint or that old national embarrassment that stands next to her.

RustySpanner

molgrips – Member
    After the war a great many houses had been demolished, by the Luftwaffe. So they build temporary prefabs. But a more sustainable solution had to be found, and population was increasing, so high rise flats meant a lot of people could live, without having to extend infrastructure all that much.

Not just down to the Luftwaffe though – shame at the amount of outdated housing played a big part too, as did a desire to practice a little social engineering.

When they were built they were often considered the height of luxury. Don’t forget people an awful lot of people were still living with outside bogs and no heating at the time.

My mum was one of the first people to move to a flat in Hulme – there was a huge waiting list.
    24 hour heating, hot water on demand, indoor plumbing. Many people hadn’t experienced anything like it before.

Shame they didn’t take human nature into account when designing the place & scrimped on the materials. 😐
    The prefabs have actually outlasted the high rises.

zeesaffa
    Free Member

People who queue/rush to board a plane when they have a pre-assigned seat, are going to be stuck in the plane for hours, and are going to get to the destination at the same time.

????

I know what you mean…
    I’ve flown with people that when I say I don’t want to rush for the seat you can see them get all edgy and can’t relax… to the point where any conversation dies and I just concede and we all rush pointlessly to the back of the massive boarding queue. Odd.

unknown
    Free Member

Claudia Winkleman is an utter gobshite. The put-on “kookiness” in place of personality is painful to watch and beneath it she’s just a beige talentless vacuous husk of a human being. Sadly, she’s not the only one of those polluting the airwaves.

dannymite1981
    Free Member

1.People who appear on Embarrassing Bodies!
    2.A chav
    3.Majority of american sitcoms

iolo
    Free Member

1. Quantum physics
    2. Why did the chicken cross the road
    2. White dog poo

billysugger
    Free Member

How a woman can work for a firm as the first point of contact when they know the firm is scamming people but be vehement in their defense probably for minimum wage.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Each to their own. Personally I think Claudia is a great person for tv. She has, in my eyes, a very appealing look and has what comes across as a natural personality. She generally seems to be able to be spontaneous and natural and not have to rely on an autocue. And while she may not be Mrs Mensa that is a skill and a talent – one that I suspect most of her naysayers on here would not be able to do.

And prawny and all the others can get to the back of the queue. And also the Sandra Bullock queue. 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thanks for the explanations folks, I feel enlightened 😀 (cough)

Now for the Claudia conundrum, hmmmm… ? Yes. 😉

CountZero

Piers Morgan is one of the highest paid TV presenters on the planet

A report I read in the paper last week said that he’d received a death threat; American police are currently checking out 26,000,000 suspects.

unknown – Member
    Claudia Winkleman is an utter gobshite. The put-on “kookiness” in place of personality is painful to watch and beneath it she’s just a beige talentless vacuous husk of a human being. Sadly, she’s not the only one of those polluting the airwaves.

Unknown, eh? Obviously a vacuous, talentless husk of a human being, unable to even bring his miserable self to create a proper username. Troll.
    Have you actually met the girl? Personally know close friends of hers? Didn’t think so. 🙄

matt_outandabout

?

unknown
    Free Member

Unknown, eh? Obviously a vacuous, talentless husk of a human being, unable to even bring his miserable self to create a proper username. Troll.

Hi Claudia!

I’m not sure if this needs pointed out or not, but unknown is my username, I’m not sure what makes it any less “proper” than any others?! Or that expressing an opinion that differs from yours makes me a troll 🙄

And anyway, heaven forbid that I meet the creature. It’s like she’s been force fed episodes of Friends foie gras style until her brain exploded.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmmm… 😯

Time for a rethink?

Nah, she’s still lovely.

wiggles
    Free Member

Claudia winkleman and her evil twin davina McCall are automatic reasons to not watch any program that involves them.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

A shame so few people have mentioned that Claudia is actually quite clever. She’s no muppet.

And how can people get so upset about a presenter? Her or Davina or Piers? Just change the channel.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Perhaps you could try turning off the tv and living some life instead.

core

Find Claudia quite annoying, but the Winkleman/Cox threesome idea stirred something……

Sara is also quite annoying, but there’s something about a farmer’s daughter, doesn’t really care too much and up for a laugh.

Tess Daly – does nothing for me, long old blokey northern thing, not keen, and Bruce, well, can’t see how he does any work these days!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Management speak
    Drivers who think it’s ok to make a 3 lane motorway a 2 lane motorway by driving in the middle lane.
    Women
    differentiation
    Why a plane won’t take off if it’s on a conveyor belt

Anyone who even contemplates the ridiculous notion that a plane might take off on a conveyor belt.

cheers_drive

My wife does this. It’s not the only thing I don’t understand about her either ❓

samuri
    Free Member

Claudia is lovely. She’s nice looking, is clever and funny and can have a laugh at herself. Works for me. Nothing worse than a woman who takes her self too seriously (possibly a man who does the same)

People who don’t like gravy on chips. For the love of god! 😉 Chips, gravy, mushy peas, sausage or pie. Meal of champions.

I often struggle to understand cats. I mean I know they’re evil and everything but I always imagine it’s such a conflict of emotions inside a cat.
    “Ooh, the big one has opened the back door, must run in and get warm.
    Oh no, the big one is walking towards me, must run away
    Oooh, the big one is walking towards me, must get stroke
    Nope, I’m going to run away again”
    etc etc

Although I guess it’s entirely feasible that cat is messing with my head.

hooli

Its a long list but a few for starters

Why people buy new build houses on massive housing estates when there are better priced, bigger, quieter, nicer looking houses nearby

Why people watch reality TV

People who say they cant cook

People who cant do basic DIY like painting or building flatpack furniture

People who drive 200 yards when they could walk

People who buy a new car every 3 years so they dont need to pay for a £45 MOT. Yes, £5k per year depreciation is definitely cheaper and better value than getting an MOT and paying for a few repairs…

In fact, I don’t think I understand people in general 😳

MrOvershoot

samuri – Member
    People who don’t like gravy on chips. For the love of god! Chips, gravy, mushy peas, sausage or pie. Meal of champions.

I felt proper champion after yesterdays lunch of Chips, mushy peas, sausage and both gravy & curry sauce 😀

The ferocity & aroma of the resulting wind was also pretty champion!

As for Claudia I’m indifferent, I prefer taller women as on the whole I find them less prone to random moods and odd behaviour?

Pigface
    Free Member

Chips should be dipped in either gravy or curry sauce not swimming in them.

Curry sauce is a bit random, some is great some is rank, gravy seems universal.

I dont understand why people think it is ok to drive through red lights especially on temporary traffic lights.

zeesaffa
    Free Member

People who say that can’t do things when they’ve never tried (basic DIY, oil change, bike maintenance, etc)

People who say they don’t like a certain food when they’ve never tried it.

What the hell goes through people’s heads when they park across 2 spaces.

People that don’t wash their hands after using the loo… then going back to their table to finish their meal. grim.

People in general really… and cats. Like a previous poster on here… I don’t get cats.

(this is just a bit of a rant really… not sure if it’s what the OP had in mind but I feel better 😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

It’s so no-one parks right next to them and they risk having a car door opened onto their pride and joy. No I don’t do it but I know someone who does and that is his reasoning.

zippykona

Like a previous poster on here… I don’t get cats.

Amen brother.
    A dog that likes you will give you a nuzzle or a lick.
    A cat will stick its claws in you.

chewkw
    Free Member

zippykona – Member
    A cat will stick its claws in you.

Only if you like to “flick” their balls, which I did as a kid as mine did not like that.

But apart from that they would wake me up every morning to go to school and they would welcome me home when I got back from school. Just like my dogs.

dabble
    Free Member

Why shibboleths neighbour dispute post got taken down.

rusty90
    Free Member

Annoying isn’t it. With a bit of thought you can get 2 cars in 1 space

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Things that I don’t understand’ is closed to new replies.