Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Things that are the wrong price. What can you think of?
  • phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

Bananas are pretty ridiculously cheap, and bike parts are way too expensive. What do you care to add to this list?

yunki
    Free Member

talk is cheap..

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Tickets to the Big Bike Bash are ridiculously cheap for what you get over the weekend

mudshark
    Free Member

My wife's too expensive

CaptJon
    Free Member

Pre-packed sandwiches are too expensive. Pies are too cheap.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Houses. Way over the top.

mudshark
    Free Member

Houses – bargains if you go where no-one else wants to

br
    Free Member

co2 canisters are way too expensive – a LBS near me wanted £8 for 2, so I bought 30 for £20 off the net. Irrelevent of anything if they also did that, they could sell them at £2 each, and still make a good profit.

But the reason bananas are cheap, is that they are very cheap to grow, transport and retail (I did a project 20+ years ago for Asda where we found that bananas were our most profitable item (highest margin).

khani
    Free Member

train fares are a farce, london to manchester its cheaper to fly, planes cheaper than trains…..WTF

mudshark
    Free Member

Cheap alcohol is too expensive

julianwilson
    Free Member

These crazy combat school dvd's.which appeared as one of those random ads on the right of the screen that google gives us based on what's written in the thread. 😯 😯

crikey
    Free Member

Polar heart rate monitors.
    Lidl sell one for about 15 pounds that has more features and is user serviceable.

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

Out of interest, where would anything by Superstar Components fit into this equation?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Out of interest, where would anything by Superstar Components fit into this equation?

Depends.

Pedals, grips and hubs are either outrageously good value, or the same products with the names of other trendier manufacturers are very overpriced.
    Brake pads are in competition with many other cheap ones out there so somehow don't seem such a good deal.
    most of the ssc branded rims are available from your raleigh/cyclelife dealer with different stickers on for a quid or two less.

Bunnyhop

Milk – It really gets my goat (little joke in there)that people expect British farmers to produce cheap milk, when trying to feed their herds, keep the herd outside eating fresh green grass, and competing with the supermarkets.

We buy our milk from the milk man, which in turn comes from the local dairy, the milk hasn't travelled miles and is British. Yes it costs more but it's a small price to pay.

If we keep expecting to pay these stupidly low prices, all the milk will start to be shipped in from places in Eastern Europe because British dairy farmers keep having to close down.

Support our local farmers.

sockpuppet

Jockey wheels – bizarrely expensive for what they are. Nearly as much as a mech sometimes.

petrol – far too cheap. Be prepared to pay the true cost (not price) in future.

uplink
    Free Member

Be prepared to pay the true cost (not price) in future.

I've heard that line for the last 30 years or so – wake me up when it happens will you?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Most bike stuff (and indeed 'leisure goods') are way overpriced relative to manufacturing costs, but the market is driven by people who want to spend money. Everyone needs food, even the poor, so food needs to be cheap.

Peoples' lives are cheap.

badnewz
    Free Member

Agree completely with talkemada. MTB things like forks and shocks are ridiculously over-priced. So much MTB technology is just a smaller version of off-road motorbike engineering, but twice the price and with less moving part.
    Plus UK housing.

iDave
    Free Member

for many products the RRP is generally 10 x manufactured cost

there are ways to get most things at the price of the manufacturing cost plus their margin rather than pay shop prices

alwyn
    Free Member

Please enlighten me TC!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cars.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

High class prostitutes – too high
    Low class prostitutes – too low

Talkemada
    Free Member

So, Middle Class Prostitutes the answer then, FeeFoo? 😀

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Gas and Power

Burls72
    Free Member

Everything I want to buy is to expensive and anything I sell goes to cheap 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

drugs are too cheap
    Theraphy is too expensive
    8)

zaskar
    Free Member

What Burls72 said lol

Oh and gas n' electric.

Northwind

Orange P7 frames are clearly too expensive. And so are my flights to A Quick Release 🙁

westkipper
    Free Member

Shimano stuff-too expensive
    I'm looking, for the first time ever, at Campagnolo record as being the budget choice.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

So, Middle Class Prostitutes the answer then, FeeFoo?

Yes, they have to arrive in a 4×4 moaning about prices of bike bits 😉

br
    Free Member

Another example:

Donkeys years ago I worked for Comet, and say a washing machine was £250 retail, and the purchase price (to store delivery) was £125.

It use to amaze me that it cost £125 to build and ship (back then usually Italy) plus warehouse to store, and somehow another £125 to sell – with margin around £25.

This is where the costs are in a high-cost economy.

Chinese BSO sell for £100, but dock-side at £25. And retail costs after the £25 (or so) import-tax.

ziggy
    Free Member

Coffee, since it became trendy to drink, £2.80 for a cup I paid the other day, I'm sorry but that's how much for a few coffee beans and some hot water?

Tea seems to be getting expensive now in line with coffee, £1.50 now at reeves!

Cake on the other hand is worth every penny

Northwind

West Kipper wrote,

"Shimano stuff-too expensive"

Depends on what it is, £50 for the new Deore crankset or £80 for SLX is great value compared to the competition frinstance. Likewise the new Deore brakes.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Magazines are too dear these days considering how many adverts there are

westkipper
    Free Member

Sorry, I should've said Dura-ace stuff too expensive

badnewz
    Free Member

Like Ziggy said, coffee in coffee shops. Some people I worked with wouldnt think twice about going twice a day to the bucks or nero, add that up over the year, that's a lot of money. I would have looked down on them until I remembered how much I'd pay for a pint of the cat's piss.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Houses! Mainly in the SE.

For comparison…………..

2bed FLAT in Wokingham, nice enough area, nothing special, second bedroom is fine if you can sleep standing upright.
    £215,000

2 Bed HOUSE, Ashbourne, Derbyshire, similar proportions, but has some character and more importantly is an actual house!
    £129,000

I'm almost hoping for redundancy so I can move up north. For an average double garaged house in a nice village round here your talking best part of half a million. In the Peaks, you struggle to find houses worth that much! We saw one with a swimming pool for the same price FFS!

As a potential first time buyer, I could either buy a 'starter home' (read: shit hole in a shit hole) in the south east, or a house I'd actually enjoy living in up north!

RichPenny
    Free Member

a house I'd actually enjoy living in up north!

Yep, but as soon as you left it, you'd be surrounded by bloody northerners 😯 Until the government organises some sort of cull, we're stuck with house price differentials I'm afraid.

Most consumer electronics appears to be too cheap. Certainly built to a price and not designed to be maintained for any length of time. Like the milk example, I think price is often the only factor for most people, including myself.

Tunnocks teacakes are too cheap, because I feel no guilt in scoffing an entire pack 😳

lodious
    Free Member

Warming draws. A quarter of the parts of an oven, for double the cost.

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/598844/MIELE-ESW-5080-14-ST

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Things that are the wrong price. What can you think of?’ is closed to new replies.