Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Things that are expensive, not much practical use, but you WANT!
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/J6zBWn]IMG_6037[/url] by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HF4m6o]IMG_6034[/url] by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HF4muj]IMG_6035[/url] by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr

I think these are just sooooo cool.

£35k a piece though 😯

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

£35k a piece

Looks like there’s plenty of them aswell…..

BigDummy
    Free Member

I seem to have ordered one of these for my office…

It has an obvious practical use, of course, but I’m not sure what my boss will say.

🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Bikes. Lots of bikes. For every possible terrain, surface, material, wheel and tyre size and weather.

And a LWB T5 Kombi to go with it.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Air suspension for my T5. £4k and the wife is taking some convincing but I reckon I’ll get there eventually but its going to cost me another £4k in clothes, shoes, bags etc.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Women.

😆

maccruiskeen

but I’m not sure what my boss will say.

You can charge for ‘extras’ now.

Mister-P
    Free Member

£35k? I felt frivolous looking at longboards for £150 that will get used a couple of times a year.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

£35k? I felt frivolous looking at longboards for £150 that will get used a couple of times a year.

Naaa, longboards are great, ll that ends up happening is you surf more as even crappy days have enough swell.

SUP’s on the other hand, even s/h they’re all £500+, mental.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

You could argue it is practical (in fact it’s incredibly practical) but the other half would rather save the best part of £100 and buy a £5 Tesco special.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

£150? That’s cheap!

Stevet1
    Free Member

onandon
    Free Member

I’m strangely drawn to that ^ .

I recently picked up one of these.

footflaps

Yep, that Tungsten cube is strangely appealing…..

woffle
    Free Member

You could argue it is practical (in fact it’s incredibly practical) but the other half would rather save the best part of £100 and buy a £5 Tesco special.

We’ve had ours 15+ years and still going strong. Not sure we’re quite at break-even but I know my parents replace their cheap toaster about every couple of years so in the long run perhaps not such an expense…

woffle
    Free Member

..and does art count?

This went for £312,000 and arguably has little practical purpose…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Aerial Nomad

mogrim

I want one of those cubes now, too. $299 though

Stevet1
    Free Member

Owned one once but sold it on as it was just too much money invested in something that could potentially explode any second.

Notter
    Free Member

Not that Lego should ever be labelled as impractical (so apologies for the offence) but £250 –

And I’m definitely going to be buying when I can find stock!!

robowns
    Free Member

Also drawn to that tungsten cube.

qwerty
    Free Member

An Omata, looks great:

but i think that Endomondo does exactly the same.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant longboard skateboards, I already bought a surfboard this month. An NSP 7ft 10 second hand which was £150 and 10 miles from the office in Milton Keynes.

stumpy01

mogrim – Member

I want one of those cubes now, too

If only I’d known there was so much interest in tungsten I’d have started a Kickstarter thingie! I’ve got loads of bits of it at work, sitting around!!

It is impressively heavy!!

DezB
    Free Member

The pretty thing at the top of this page: http://singletrackworld.com/2016/06/fresh-goods-friday-296/

peteimpreza

@ Notter , not just me then .

I think it’s only available from Lego either in store of via their web shop .

Notter
    Free Member

@ Peteimpreza – yep I’m checking the webshop daily at the moment, no Lego stores near me!

MrSmith
    Free Member

made by Michael Morris knives, i actually own one now. bit spensive for a bottle opener and i think i opened a box with it and cut some zip ties.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

An Omata, looks great:

but i think that Endomondo does exactly the same.

I see what you mean, but I’ve started leaving STRAVA on my phone in my pocket (along with a OS 1:50k mapping app) and only consulting it when needed, I quite fancy a simple computer on the bars, I’ve got an Edge 800, but I don’t like the shear volume of distracting data and screens it churns out.

Quite tempted to get a couple of cheap android watches (the £10 from china kind) and learn to program them. Could be cool to have speed & odometer on one dial (like a car), then 2 coaxial dials for power and cadence on another.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nothing, absolutely nothing – I’d like to say it’s because I’ve reached an almost Buddist relationship with possesions but really it’s because after 8 years of various levels of poverty and raising a family the idea of buying something just because it’s nice and I want it seems so alien.

My youngest starts school full-time 2 years from now, and pretty much 10 years after I last had spare money for anythign – I’ll report back then 😉

DezB
    Free Member

the idea of buying something just because it’s nice and I want it seems so alien

I envy you, sir. Really!

P-Jay
    Free Member

DezB – Member

the idea of buying something just because it’s nice and I want it seems so alien

I envy you, sir. Really!

It’s a curse, honestly, My Wife shares it too now, we agonise about the simplest purchases – we’re not tight, we spend every penny we earn, but neither of us can simply buy somethign as simple as a £6 bottle of girly shampoo (for her) or a new pair of pedals to replace some wrecked ones for £25 (for me) without a couple of days of doubt (before) and self-loathing (afterwards).

We don’t live like Monks, but I just want us to get the most out of what we have.

bencooper
    Free Member

That tungsten cube is cool, but I’m drawn to the tungsten spinning top:

http://www.foreverspin.com

Or a trebuchet. Just so I can throw things in the park.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant longboard skateboards, I already bought a surfboard this month. An NSP 7ft 10 second hand which was £150 and 10 miles from the office in Milton Keynes.

😆

Classic ‘went to Cornwall, loved surfing, bought board, it made a nice coffee table’?

Is it wrong that I’m looking at all these knives and thinking ‘Mmm. Knives…’?

woffle
    Free Member

Is it wrong that I’m looking at all these knives and thinking ‘Mmm. Knives…’?

Definitely practical though;

http://www.blok-knives.co.uk/

MoreCashThanDash

Blok knives are across the yard from Love Velo as well – it’s a Singletrackers wet dream cum true!

toby1

Sigma 105mm Macro

Canon 70-200 f2.8

+ Numerous other camera bodies and lenses, tripods and stuff.

footflaps

Good place to be IMO, world is already full of consumerist waste.

fasthaggis

or

or

allan23
    Free Member

🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Things that are expensive, not much practical use, but you WANT!’ is closed to new replies.