• This topic has 22 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by flip.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Things need to change but to what?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

I know a few people on here and made major changes to their lives, but how did you do it?

I know one is needed, I just don’t know what to change things to. My job sucks like you wouldn’t believe, I’ve just no idea what I’d rather be doing.

Pigface
    Free Member

When i have worked it out I will let you know.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Big life change after serious spinal injury. End of carreer, relationship, lost the family home (but kept the bikes and the van). Now have an amazing job, good pay, great new bike… new dirty girl…stilll working onthe house tho..

I didnt really have a choice as i thought i wouldn’t make it through the Op, but wouldnt change a thing!

iDave
    Free Member

I’ve just no idea what I’d rather be doing

How can you not know that?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I know what I’d rather be doing but it’s not something that’s going to pay the mortgage or keep me in bike bits.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You need to really think what you want. At the moment you are trapped as a wage slave because of your material goods.

So – reducing the amount of money you need increases your choices.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If I was on any less money, I’d be signing on to collect it!

nonk
    Free Member

my life in the past has usually changed for the better when i have lost my job.
    it forces you to deal with it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m at a bit of a cross roads regards the job as we’re interviewing for our own posts. I’m tempted to engineer redeployment.

Admiralable
    Free Member

stab BMW,Merc and Audi drivers in the head! would make my life easier

Northwind

Onzadog – Member

I know a few people on here and made major changes to their lives, but how did you do it?

I broke my hip. Not totally sure I’d recommend it but as a long-term thing it’s worked out not bad at all.

yossarian
    Free Member

How of your discontent is financial?

Can you engineer a solution where you can give up some of your commitments?

I would say meet some new people, always good for reinventing yourself and starting off on a new trail.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The mortgage is the only financial commitment. No bank loans or car finance or the like. Not sure the wife would be too chuffed with me reinventing myself and meeting new people though.

flip
    Free Member

It all happened to me 3 yrs ago, split up from my partner (mother of my kid) it was a nightmare. Had a well paid but crap job.

But i met my now wife soon after, fell totally in love got married, got made redundant.

Now work for myself, have a house thats paid for and no debt, count my blessings everyday.

yossarian
    Free Member

The mortgage is the only financial commitment. No bank loans or car finance or the like. Not sure the wife would be too chuffed with me reinventing myself and meeting new people though.

Forgive me for asking but is your wife part of the problem also?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Valid question I guess. I think it’s fair to say that what’s going on isn’t helping us. Flip, where can get one of those crap but well paying jobs? I seem to be stuck with a crap, poorly paid job. In fact, it’s so bad that the threat of redundancy has got everyone in the team feeling very indifferent. While people are worried about paying bills, no one is bothered by the thought of losing this job.

yossarian
    Free Member

What’s your trade onzadog? There’s plenty of crap jobs around, you could just do a different shit one for a while? If the mortgage is becoming a strain then can you convert it to an interest only or take a payment break?

Does your wife work also or have you got small kids?

Northwind

Have you been in the job for long enough to get a decent redundancy package if it comes? Reasonably confident in your prospects?

yossarian
    Free Member

Oh it’s worth remembering that all jobs, all work for other peoples gain sucks a big one.

Man did not descend from the trees in order to go to work. This is an important thing to remember.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Don’t really feel I have a trade. I left uni with an engineering degree but made some not so great job choices chasing money rather than experience and training. Left that field about 8 years ago. For the last 3 I’ve been working for the local authority.

Wife works, earns about the same and enjoys her job. No kids and no plans for any. We can pay the mortgage and bills. So things are not that tight. Redundancy offer is less than three months salary. I’d have walked for six or more but I see three as too much of a gamble.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I have been trying to change since around 2003 when I sold my house to go travelling in 2004. Things didn’t go according to plan, due to mainly not really having a plan and I went back to work in 2005. I then left work again in 2009 to do my MSc. It has been a real strain as I finished around August last year and am still out of work. But I have had a second interview at a business school to teach sustainability, and the job prospects in Brazil are finally looking up. So yeah, it is amazing to make a change, but sometimes you need to think mid term rather than short term as you may well hit some obstacles and low points in your great transition.

yossarian
    Free Member

Ok so what would you really like to do for a living?

Can you and your wife survive on her salary alone for a while?

flip
    Free Member

No kids and no plans for any.

That speaks volumes, if you have no kids you can change anything or everything about your life.

You can retrain, move area, split up from your partner, with little fallout. Ok it’ll be hard for a short time but you’ll move on and hopefully up 😀

Kids make all of the above infinitly more difficult, you are not as trapped as you think.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Things need to change but to what?’ is closed to new replies.