Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Things my dog has eaten and shouldn't have
  • oldnpastit

Things my dog has eaten in the six months we’ve had him that he probably shouldn’t have:

* Horse poo. His own poo. His sister’s poo. The dog poo of complete strangers.
    * Dead chicks are a guilty pleasure at this time of year.
    * The corners of several arm chairs and sofas. The stuffing from the sofas.
    * His own bed. His dog leads.
    * A TV remote control. My glasses. USB cables. Headphone cables. Mains cables. Basically anything plastic in the house not put away.
    * Butter. Lurpak lighter spreadable. I don’t think he can tell it’s not really butter.
    * Bread. Sliced. Frozen is fine.
    * Tomatoes. The internet says only the green bits are bad. So far, so good. Also tomato ketchup (Heinz).
    * A melon.
    * Chocolate and raisin tiffin. Coconut, chocolate and raisin tiffin. Raisins give him extra smelly farts, and he then produces copious quantities of diarrhoea at 5 in the morning.

And my crash helmet.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We had a Springer that ate the kitchen on a Boxing day afternoon.
    It fell/jumped off a quarry face some time later. (seriously)

theotherjonv

Our 2 year old Cockapoo has been a delight in comparison. She destroys toys in minutes, tears the fluff off the outside of tennis balls, saw off a pair of my merino bike socks from the washing basket (only cheap on-one ones so no real harm done) but apart from that has been very good.

Apart from the plaster off the corner of an inside wall. I don’t know why….. it’s the only wall she’s eaten, and touch wood looks like staying that way.

stumpy01

When growing up, our Boxer ate an entire roll of elastoplast – the stuff you cut to length.
    It came back up whole shortly after!

DezB
    Free Member

Excellent!

Not the past 6 months, but over time –

A 4 pack of pink iced doughnuts
    Some slugs (we later found them on the landing)
    All the poos mentioned above, but additionally cat poo.
    Bread found in a field.
    A chicken carcass
    A pheasant’s head. A crow, crunched but not eaten.

bruk

Things dogs shouldn’t have really eaten in the last 6 months from memory

Things brought back up after induction of vomiting

Chocolate
    Cocoa powder
    Grapes
    Raisins
    Rat Bait
    Slug Bait
    Socks

Things fetched out of stomach or small intestine

1 whole Beanie Baby puppy
    Corn on the cob core (favourite this time of year with bbqs)
    Sponge tennis ball
    Various bits of rubber and plastic of undetermined origin
    Football sock
    Underwear (various kinds)

PePPeR

Just a quick note, raisins/grapes, onions and chocolate are poisonous to dogs, but I guess you already know this by now. 🙂

My little spaniel girl has been an angel in comparison.

With only about three phone charger leads any foamy bedding, 2 rucksacks, electric cable, a plastic table cloth and od course any poo of any animal ever!

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Our border terrier ended up in dog intensive care after eating a bowl of potpourri.

tyrionl1
    Free Member

Had a problem with ours the other night, he’d stolen some bone meal i’d been using as rooting compound in my pathetic attempts at gardening. Daughter claimed he’s had a seizure, but they do make a meal of throwing up so it was probably that.

theotherjonv

Our border terrier ended up in dog intensive care after eating a bowl of potpourri

What did his farts smell like?

oldnpastit

zippykona

A complete kangaroo skin, my mums fur coat, a balloon , a bar of soap, numerous dinners, any food wrappers (and yes I have had to pull the wrapper out of her bum), wasps with swollen mouths to match and a lug worm.. That was attached to a hook that was attached to a fishing rod as the man was casting and bread that was thrown in for the swans in the pond. She was torn between eating the bread or being attacked by the swans. The lure of bread was too strong.
    She did try to eat a pike that a fisherman had landed til he beat her off.
    A complete and total pig. Long dead and really not missed!

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Our border terrier ended up in dog intensive care after eating a bowl of potpourri

What did his farts smell like?

The seventies?……

sammaratti
    Free Member

5 month springer here

Stones and butterflies seem to be the favourite at the moment. Trying really hard to stop the stones at the minute, although I think she just likes to bite them rather than swallow.

We have also had a nectarine stone and polystyrene.

maccruiskeen

The seventies?……

properly funny.

My pal’s spaniel ate several kilos of rat poison – he rushed it to the vet along with the chewed empty packet. The vet had to phone the manufacturers and get advice – they told him to weigh the dog then advised that it would take at least 25kg to kill him. So lesson learned – if you’ve got a spaniel infestation Rodine isn’t a cost effective solution.

When I was a kid our dog ate most of a 6ft long seaweed holdfast while we were on a trip the the Farne Islands. On the choppy ride in the tiny boat back to the mainland he stood in the middle of all the queazy passengers and barfed up an impossibly huge lake of purple gelatinous horror. All the passengers had to try and simultaneously keep their lunch down and their feet up as slippy, wobbly, frothy mauve gloop sloshed side to side across the deck.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Ferret poo, whicker conservatory furniture, cushions, telly remote, brand new teva sandals, ferretvite for poorly ferrets (effectively speed in dogs……), wallpaper (still attached to wall), branches still attached too trees, miscellaneous rocks on beach and final chapter of my book, Mrs M has just reminded me that two floor mats have been altered as well

sharkbait
    Free Member

Oh my god, where do I start?
    1) My thumb

2) My icecream

3) A Wimbledon veteran

4) A dalmatian from the inside out

5) My lunch (including the plate)

Oh and part of an XC90. Bad puppy.

obelix
    Free Member

My two working cockers between them ate an entire nest of ground birds in one go. Probably 6-7 chicks, parents weren’t there. I think it was either grouse or snipe. Saw the little critters’ heads still gasping as they hung out the dogs’ mouths, just before they were swallowed.

I was very traumatised at first, but then thought that at least I wouldn’t have to feed them once I got home.

w0wzer
    Free Member

Horse poo, cat poo, sticks, long grass, a pineapple upside down cake, a passport, a box of m&s chocolate biscuits, numerous balls, his own bed, a sofa cushion, a baby bird, slippers. There’s probably loads more but he’ll eat anything that falls from the table/chopping board or while cooking, no matter how hot and/or spicy or just plain odd for a dog. Has a bit of a thing for salad and ice!

Ambrose

mac wins. I’m crying here…

Anyway.. beagles can’t properly digest salami skins it seems, so will happily run around with sh!t conkers hanging from the rear end. Mains leads for laptop chargers hold no fear, not once, not twice, not even three times.

Dead things, loads of dead things. Rotten lambs are very popular but at the moment placenta is her new fave, I mean OMG, the sloppy stinky offal sticks like glue to her, not even Treseme shampoo (with conditioner for extra silky sheen)seems to work. ‘The Horror, the Horror’. To make things worse she tends to roll in the stuff first before she eats the remains. If I sold her to the military she could be a good weapon, much like diseased animals were launched into besieged castles in the olden days, Willow could be sent to spread disease and pestilence amongst our chosen foe nowadays.

She escaped last night, has returned looking like a zombie and has been hosed down prior to being banished to the shed. I’ll wash her properly in the morning.

A bowl of dog food will stay untouched for a day but she will happily eat any kind of excrement known to man. There must surely be a money-saving tip in there somewhere? She also periodically produces orange bits in her offerings. No idea what they are, nor where they are from. Carrots? Orange peel? She did eat her way into the compost bin once.

And she remains fit as a flea, albeit a very smelly flea with terrible table manners.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

When I was a lad our labrador ate the Christmas cake.
    In one sitting.
    A 10 inch diameter fruit cake, well soaked in brandy, icing, marzipan and plastic santa – all consumed in about 10 minutes.
    She was rather subdued and didn’t eat anything else for about 4 days but was otherwise fine. We never did find the plastic santa…

jakd95
    Free Member

Anything that’s dead, the older the better. Apparently it tastes even better to her if she rolls in it a lot first. The worst was a nest of rotten eggs, the smell was truly horrendous. At least 10 washes and a very short haircut until she smelt good enough to come back into the house.

Also any food that falls from the table/kitchen units, or is left to close to the edge of the aforementioned spots.

arcadian
    Free Member

My gf had frozen some grapes once as a snack and was eating them, dropped one and the dog munched it. He loved it, possibly as it was frozen, so he got a few more. Decided to do a quick google (he was a bit over a year old at the time) and saw grapes were super bad for him – seemed ok but woke up in the middle of the night and I wasn’t quite quick enough to stop some explosive dog diarrhoea hitting the hallway carpet. Think I sacrificed a spatula and a dustpan in scooping it up (3am!) whilst trying not to spew. Lovely memories!

Lucas
    Free Member

Our dog, Elmo, is far to soft/sensible/scared to beat anything he should not. But he has a friend, also a dog, called barney, or more commonly bumfun barney as he likes to get his nose as far up Elmo’s arse as he can. Bumfun barney loves a nice tasty glove, once he nicked the glove off my hand and gobbled it down. Unfortunately the glove dislodged the child’s dummy he’d eaten the week before, which perferoated his intestine so he had to have an operation……he still eats gloves

pk13

Strawberry’s and water melon.
    Also loves sweetcorn but only one cob.
    Worst was a rotten fish on the beach or fox poop.
    My dad’s dog ate some funky shrooms once nearly killed him

Edit**not my dad the dog ozzy

honeybadgerx

My mum’s dig has an amazing ability to find rotten deer legs. I’m fairly well convinced that you could drop him in the Sahara and within 15 mins you could be engaged in an incredibly smelly, slimy and somewhat disintegratey game of tug of war. Pulled venison anyone?

Edit: he also has the ability to extract sliced cheese from sandwiches without you knowing, until biting down on a couple of buttery slices wondering what the heck happened.

v8ninety

Thread of the night. Brilliant!!! 😀 😆 😀 😆

survivor

Friends dog I walk sometimes managed to find, with the help of some other dogs on the field today, a tramps shit in a bag! The smell was horrendous. It was all over his head… Although one of the other dogs walked out with toilet paper hanging from it’s mouth so could of been worse…..

jonahtonto
    Free Member

my dog a a whole salt lick once.

we are talking a block of salt and minerals the size of a house brick designed to last a horse a month. ate the lot

the out of hrs vet was laughing his head off over the phone “let me guess? a labrador?” was his first question

lost her last monday at the grand age of 15. she could have all the salt licks she liked for one more cwtch 😥

simmy
    Free Member

One of my old labs once ate a blanket and it came out the other end but wouldn’t budge of its own accord so we had to take her to the vets so he could pull it out. He then checked her temperature and broke the thermometer in her anus. Bad day for her that day.

Another lab had a habit of stealing food so the vet suggested making some mustard sandwiches and laying them as a trap if you like as he wouldn’t like the taste. Yep, he ate the lot.

Another lab ( see the pattern forming…. ) lived with my mate before I took him on board and returned form a run around the field with a sewer rat in his mouth with he proudly gave to my mate. This is the same one who broke his leg at 12 weeks old on his first proper walk, and continued to chase a bird around the field with his back leg dragging behind him.

Whilst he has been with me, he found a half empty packet of that popping candy stuff and proceeded to consume it. He face was a picture when it started popping in his mouth 😀

cloudnine
    Free Member

Was at a bbq last year and my black lab stole a kebab on a 6″ wooden skewer.
    Nobody saw him do it and he ate it whole.
    Was in immense amount of pain that night.. Emergency trip to vets.
    Vet scratches head and could not suss out what was wrong.
    Next few weeks he was walking very gingery and yelping now and again.
    Large lump and abcess comes up on his side.
    Back to vets for anti biotic.
    Abcess gets bigger and another lump comes up on his hip.
    Next afternoon the lump on his hip ruptures… There’s something poking out… Gave it a small pull and out comes a 6″ skewer, pus and blood.
    More visits to vet and more antibiotics.
    Dog survives and very lucky not to die of peritonitis or an infection.

Mantastic
    Free Member

A 15kg bag of dog food in one sitting. (We were only out for 30mins or so)

The dog was found under the bed, to get her out I had to lift the bed and drag her out as she was so bloated she wouldn’t come out normally, vet was stunned but just said keep getting fluids into her, the turd collecting next few day was interesting. Had to take a carrier bag with me to fit all the poo bags in, this lasted 4 or 5 days.

theotherjonv

Just remembered a mate’s dog. Made the headlines with his antics.

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.co.uk/news/1534693.0/

(you might have seen his owner too – he’s the poor bugger that gets wheeled out to talk to the TV / newspapers every time someone does something stupid to the wildlife in Richmond Park. eg: FENTON!!!)

Houns

Oscar’s (our 10 month old choc lab) favourite thing to eat is cat crap. Fresher the better. We call the cat litter trays “cookie jars” as that’s where his treats are.

We typically only find out he’s done this when he comes to give us a lick and he has litter stuck to his nose and/or his breath stinks. He also smacks his lips once eaten, like he would if he had a mouth full of claggy peanut butter

He’s also very good at retrieving very decomposed birds

Xylene
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJL8AVBpHaA[/video]

perthmtb
    Free Member

Oh thank you! I thought it was just our dog that did these things, and as a result of some terrible flaw in our training or feeding routines.

Drags wife over to computer with cries of – look she’s normal afterall 😀

pictonroad

My friends border terrier was playing with our baby on the lawn, really cute, baby giving him a nice cuddle. Lots of cooing from the ladies. I looked a bit closer, the dog had burrowed its nose into the nappy to retrieve the warm fresh goodness inside. By the time I pulled him out the boy’s backside was spotless.

lunge

I have no stories toads but really want to refer back to this thread as it is top class.

Alex

Great thread

[url=https://flic.kr/p/8SaUQC]Murphy[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Lots of labs on this thread unsurprisingly. This is Murf with his ‘wasn’t me’ face. Regularly find the remains of food/cardboard/plastic bag in his bed while he tries to convince us ‘it’s a plant’.

Poo definitely. Cow is his favourite. But any poo at all will do. Cardboard, kids homework, my shoes (twice), bike helmet (twice), Volterol cream (expensive vet bill that one), our friends kids xmas chocolate when they were looking after him while we were away, entire loaves of bread, etc, etc.

He has not however eaten the inside of the car. An old mate of mine lost most of his disco to his lab pup, who followed it up by eating the cash we’d collected for a charity event. About £300 of half chewed notes. We did get it back after filling in the form from the royal mint, my favourite question was ‘can we examine the notes that have been damaged?’ er, yeah feel free the poo’s over there…

pictonroad

Oh, labs and car interiors. Ours ate through every seat belt in an Austin maestro in about 15minutes. Thing with seat belts is they retract back into the bowels of the car leaving little evidence visible. My mothers face as she went to belt me in finding only a clip in the back seat.

I’ll check in later, got loads on this…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Things my dog has eaten and shouldn't have’ is closed to new replies.