Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Things Ive learnt
  • jpacey
    Free Member

Ive been mountain biking for about 7 years now. Its my main hobby/interest outside of my family life and work and looking back these are the main things ive discovered over that period of time. Most of it is stating the obvious:

– more expensive bikes are not necesarily more fun/better to ride.
    – if i read mountain bike magazines all the time i constantly want a newer/better bike and i dont always enoy riding my bike as much
    – MTB specific clothing may be an aquired taste but it lasts far longer and keeps you drier/warmer than regular clothing.
    – SPDs are a good idea
    – The more fit i am the more you enjoy riding
    – if i tailor my rides to work on my weaknesses i improve quicker
    – There is world class mountain biking here in the UK. Its nice to go abroad but you dont have to
    – There is a definate satisfaction that comes with finding a good piece of singletrack yourself and riding it. Whether thats in your local wooods or from scouring bridalways on an O/S map
    – trail centres are brilliant no matter what some people say. Especially when everything else is bogged down with gloop
    – A mountain bike needs a lot of looking after to keep it runnning well if you ride regularly
    – Fox forks need even more looking after to keep them running well
    – You can pay for bike maintenance in either time or money
    – its good for me to have a break. If i dont ride regularly for a couple of months per year i come back with more enthusiasm and energy
    – dont aproach a race too casualy and set off at the back. you waste a lot of time having to overtake people

noteeth
    Free Member

satisfaction that comes with finding a good piece of singletrack yourself and riding it

Amen to that. 🙂

edlong
    Free Member

The more fit i am the more you enjoy riding

Very altruistic of you to work on your fitness for my enjoyment – thanks for that.

SPDs are a good idea

Communism’s a good IDEA. In practice however…

There is a definate satisfaction that comes with finding a good piece of singletrack yourself

This +1,000,000

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Things Ive learnt’ is closed to new replies.