Viewing 27 posts - 121 through 147 (of 147 total)
  • Things in sports you don't understand
  • nbt

Speaking as a league fan, you should count yourselves lucky, I can’t remember ever seeing the ball go into the middle of the scrum in a league game, it usually goes in the second row. Still don’t understand why they don’t just scrap the idea of the scrum in league, it’s not doing anything

donald
    Free Member

They should get the ref to put the ball into the scrum.

seosamh77
    Free Member

why so many bicyclists have a chip on their shoulder about fitba.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“why footballers get more money than a brain or heart surgeon.”

Or a nurse, fireman, street sweeper, person stacking shelves in a supermarket or any other job which actually has a social value. Indeed, why anyone seems to think getting paid for a ‘sport’ (beyond any morally reasonable level required to get by) is justifiable at all. Why people pay hundreds of pounds a year to have all the sports channels, rather than actually going out and doing some sports.

“why the male divers didn’t have a candelabra on the top board it was such a gayfest

why the male divers were very toned and ripped and the female divers looked like a queue at lidl”

How anyone can still be stuck in the Dark Ages, in spite of it being 2016. 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

Why football fans think anybody who isn’t interested in football has a chip on their shoulder

MSP

Why rugby fans are completely blind to the monumental level of cheating and unsportsmanship like behaviour in the game.

Why football fans think anybody who isn’t interested in football has a chip on their shoulder

Its when they display there disinterest by never shutting up about how uninterested they are.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Speaking as a league fan, you should count yourselves lucky, I can’t remember ever seeing the ball go into the middle of the scrum in a league game, it usually goes in the second row. Still don’t understand why they don’t just scrap the idea of the scrum in league, it’s not doing anything

Isn’t it to concentrate a large amount of players in to a small area of the pitch to give the attacking side some space?

nbt

That’s the theory but as no-one binds properly you often see the props making first tackle. I did see a try from the back of a scrum last month when someone (Cas? Saints?) ran and passed the ball out wide, but it’s not common

crossland
    Free Member

Taekwondo
    boxers who dont box

jwray

Fencing; with the epee it is first to hit, no right of way rules. It’s generally considered the closest relation to old dueling weapons.

slowoldman

Fencing; with the epee it is first to hit, no right of way rules. It’s generally considered the closest relation to old dueling weapons.

Though you could argue that foil, with it’s requirement to parry before attacking, is closer to duelling. It’s little comfort to know you have landed a hit on your opponent if he has too and you’re both dying.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

How punching someone continuously until you knock them senseless is considered a sport???

Northwind

I tried fencing at uni, I gave up in total confusion after about 3 sessions of having no idea whatsoever what I was doing, how to score, who was winning… Should be simple, blunt end in hand, sharp end in other dude but nooooo.

avdave2

Taekwondo
    boxers who dont box

Are that explains it, I thought I was watching an arse kicking competition the rules of which hadn’t been communicated very well to the participants.

avdave2

Oh and the other thing I don’t understand is why I have to expend vast amounts of energy constantly switching between BBC1 and 2. For Gods sake just shift all the Olympic main feed onto one channel and keep the other for the non Olympic stuff.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I just realised another thing i don’t understand.

Why did the olympic open water swim require what looked like two dozen boats accompanying the swimmers whereas the triathlon just seemed to be accompanied by just two kayaks?

aracer
    Free Member

Not just me then. I went as far as sending in a complaint, to which I got a stock reply not addressing the issue at all. Totally utterly idiotic, with no obvious advantages.

zokes
    Free Member

Watch some NRL. It will be an education. Promise.

An education in how not to play rugby, yes.

If we’re doing “odd sports the Aussies love”, then the craziness of 36 blokes running at each other on a cricket oval is both entertaining and completely baffling. I’m going with the theory that the reason they have twice as many goal posts as other sports is because they have nearly twice as many players too.

BigJohn

Regarding the watersport helmet question I once went windsurfing in a gale on a very crowded beach. The danger of getting a whack on the noggin from somebody’s mast was high so I wore my mountain bike helmet. All well and good till I catapulted at about 30mph and nearly broke my neck when my head hit the water. I was immediately convinced of the benefits of the tight fitting low-profile proper jobs.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

if archery is an Olympic sport, why isn’t darts?

Surely archery has a higher technical equipment element, which the Olmypics generally eschews.

And the BMX would surely be faster on 24″ wheels, for a grown-up. Roll better, more grip.

chickenman

Adam Yates. I don’t understand a word he says. Did he do the voiceover for the hyperactive squirrel in Over the Hedge???

tetchypete
    Free Member

Tae kwon do. Two people in huge amounts of padding kicking each other for 10 minutes and then one of them mysteriously wins.
    And Paul Pogba ‘earning’ more in a week than I earned in the last ten years!

sirromj

Just one thing I don’t understand about XC: using shit tyres with a higher risk of puncture because they roll slightly faster. Really worth the risk?

zippykona

If only they were running tubeless.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

If only they had thought about that, what with being the experts and that.

wrecker
    Free Member

All the high fiving in volleyball. They cuddle and/or high five even when they lose a point.
    Horse dancing. Shit.
    Professionalism in the olympics. Why not boxers?
    The little towels in american football.
    Alex Cuthbert. I don’t know what his thought process must be like. I imagine he ****s up routine tasks in general life, like making a cup of tea or opening a door.

Edric64
    Free Member

Handball why ?

Viewing 27 posts - 121 through 147 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘Things in sports you don't understand’ is closed to new replies.