Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 147 total)
  • Things in sports you don't understand
  • 701arvn
    Free Member

Watching it.

I just don’t get it, taking part yes, watching, no.

Particularly running. Putting running on TV for people to watch is just bonkers.

lunge

why footballers get more money than a brain or heart surgeon.

Sadly, unless you and a few million others are prepared to pay £100 per month to watch Sky Surgeon and by millions of replica surgeons scrubs it will never happen.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Adults riding bmx.
    Anything that is judged. How can it be a sport?
    Team sports.

andykirk
    Free Member

Golf. Because I am rich and bored. [i]

I once saw that on a t-shirt.

Any sport linked to doing ‘business’ is not a sport.

And why can’t I take a day off work to go skateboarding yet a colleague can go away for a day to play golf.

And why is golf club membership actually something people feel the need to tell you? It’s akin to wearing a t-shirt saying ‘I am a saddo’. Sorry golfers can’t wear t-shirts can they.

Pyro

I certainly can’t remember any head injuries due to helmet failure back in the 80s

I’ve dealt with four in the last five years, all using crap Pro-Tec or Wildwater helmets, and more back beyond then. And a concussion to someone wearing a Rocker.

not even on “natural” rivers like the Trywerwyn, which I’ve navigated with my head nearest the river bed on occasion.

Likewise, and I holed a Pro-Tec flipping on Cafe Wave and swimming down to the raft egress. Fortunately the helmet took the brunt and I was dealt with a minor headache and a sore neck.

Having safety’d a bunch of slalom events, right up to Div 1/Prem, there were a lot of people in kit that I wouldn’t put a fresher into for a flatwater paddle, never mind for a slalom down Town Falls. While the cheaper plastic lids pass the BS/EN standard impact tests, I wouldn’t trust a helmet that I can flex the edges together without much effort…

Back on topic: Football, and the amount of money it attracts. Utterly does not compute.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Most of the rules of Rugby.
    The names of all the positions in either football or Cricket, silly mid what?.
    Why golf is such a highly rewarded game.
    Motorsports.
    Dressage.
    The intricacies of scoring in gymnastics, diving and boxing.
    How you get started at the pole vault.
    Why snooker or darts is ever televised
    Why fans include themselves in their teams results “We did well at the weekend”. No you didn’t, you sat on your lazy arse watching Sky Sports while other people won the game.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I don’t understand why people moan about England Football team being rubbish when all the money in the Premiership goes to foreign players, managers and the companies that own the clubs.

It’s a money making business pure and simple, not a sport that’s worth my time any more.

And yes I was a Leeds United Fan once

maccruiskeen

Anything that is judged. How can it be a sport?

Easily. You just need to have a better understanding of what ‘sport’ is. By definition a sport needs a way to judge who the winner is. Some sports you can do that with a stopwatch or a tape measure, or by counting goals and points and in some sports you make those judgements by comparing against a set of agreed criteria.

Football sort of fails to be sport in some instances in that basis as measure a winner is judged by – counting goals – often seems to be a very poor indication of which team is actually playing better football and chance, accidents and confused referees seem to have more influence on the score than the skill, action or tactics of the players. On a sunday league basis it functions fairly well but at the highest levels its just a mess.

In other sports are you move to more and more elite competitors you can use ever more finely calibrated methods of judgement to distinguish who the winner is – rank performances by 1000th of seconds. In football the better the teams and more closely matched they are the more vague and arbitrary the judgement of winners becomes.

ctk
    Free Member

Why women don’t play 5 sets at the grand slams.

maccruiskeen

Its their only job

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igjhIqLlGds[/video]

maccruiskeen

Why snooker or darts is ever televised

It all started with a TV programme called ‘Pub Olympics’ (IIRC) in the 1960s which featured all sorts of pub games like bagatelle and skittles and Darts and Snooker just sort of stuck around.

Snooker and Darts are reality stars – they’re the sport equivalent people who are on telly because they were on telly once.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Why the high jump starts low (where everyone can jump) insteand of starting high and dropping levels until the first to jump it wins.

Coyote
    Free Member

*Proper rugby.

Yer right. Come back when you find the correct number of players, can scrummage properly, and have learned how to win the ball from the opposing team, rather than getting it by default after six hugs.

Watch some NRL. It will be an education. Promise.

dawson

Why American basketball players are wearing arm warmers and leg warmers?

aracer
    Free Member

aka Dutch high jump?

Mr_C
    Free Member

It all started with a TV programme called ‘Pub Olympics’ (IIRC) in the 1960s which featured all sorts of pub games like bagatelle and skittles and Darts and Snooker just sort of stuck around.

I think you mean Indoor League presented by the legend that is Fred Trueman

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOlEYNlSZ44[/video]

Quality stuff.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

aka Dutch high jump?

Dunno, and a quick Google doesn’t shed any light either. 😐

mefty
    Free Member

You start on a fixed pole then if you are any good you learn to use a flexible one.

Mr_C
    Free Member

Why the high jump starts low (where everyone can jump) insteand of starting high and dropping levels until the first to jump it wins.

So what happens if it moves down to a level that suddenly everyone in the competition is able to get over? Call it a draw? Or you could start moving it up incrementally until you get a winner, oh hang on, that sounds familiar.

Dutch high jump? I think I’ve seen that ‘film’. 🙂

What I don’t understand is why so many long jumpers stand at the start of the runway doing the hokey-cokey before they start their run-up.

maccruiskeen

You start by… ‘sort of pacing backwards and forwards thing whilst holding the vaulting pole purposely and the crowd claps.’

Once you’ve mastered that you move on to

Step two ‘start running with the pole’

then

Step three ‘have the catastrophe that everyone watching is quietly hoping you’ll have’

aracer
    Free Member

Funnys don’t work when you have to explain them 🙁

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_auction

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

So what happens if it moves down to a level that suddenly everyone in the competition is able to get over? Call it a draw? Or you could start moving it up incrementally until you get a winner, oh hang on, that sounds familiar.

Well, as only one fella got over 2,19m tonight in the decathlon and the second place was at 2.16m. It would have got a result a damned sight quicker than the 2,5 hours I’ve just endured. I think a draw would be unlikely if you start high enough, let’s say 2,20m for the next one, eh?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’m going to fathom a guess that kayaking helmets look old school as they are kept very round, with as few shapes and edges that could get caught up and drag a kayakers face underwater.

BMX pisspots are about the perfect shape for safety for the same reasons, it’s just they’re not very breathable, as they minimise events that can cause the helmet to get caught up in a crash and give the rider a neck injury.

Motocross lids and mountainbike lids are all a monument to compromise in the name of comfort.

maccruiskeen

I’m going to fathom a guess that kayaking helmets look old school as they are kept very round, with as few shapes and edges that could get caught up and drag a kayakers face underwater.

BMX pisspots are about the perfect shape for safety for the same reasons,

I think it might be even more basic – modern cycling helmets are sacrificial – they’re designed to break to save your napper in the rare instance that you’ll hit your head that hard and after one tumble they’re spent and they’re actually quite delicate objects. BMXers and Kayakers are hitting their heads on things all the time so tough old pisspots allow them to do that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lunge – Member
    Why DH and BMX riders don’t wear Lycra that is clearly quicker and more comfortable. Same applies to recreational MTBers in truth.

Because they tried it and it was getting silly, leaving pads and protection in the bag to be more aero was asking for trouble. Look at what happens to lucrative in a tiny Road spill. Not going to last that we’ll on a dh weekend.

Anyway stuff I don’t understand? The 30s of chucking a ball around between the ads on American sport

ourmaninthenorth

Why it’s ok to boo the second placed pole vaulter even though your chap won the gold medal?

ourmaninthenorth

why the supporters of the two codes of rugby can’t get along nicely.

aracer
    Free Member

You shouldn’t be hitting your head much kayaking – not if you’re any good! You’re close to identifying the reason for the difference though – a bike helmet only really has to take one hit, whilst in a kayaking incident you could end up bouncing off multiple rocks.

I think matt knows about watersports helmets though, so it’s not just that they look different to bike ones (I’m too long out of the game to know myself).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

why the supporters of the two codes of rugby can’t get along nicely.

I can, just don’t expect me to watch push shove without laughing

milky1980
    Free Member

How football has become the most important thing for the country:

People complaining when they can’t get time off to watch a ‘really important’ match.
    TV schedules ripped up to show a match, even if it’s not really important.
    Players held as heroes even if they do something illegal or immoral off the pitch.
    The amount of money people will spend on replica kit, pay-TV, etc then constantly criticise the coach/team/players at any opportunity.
    How the average fan seems to be fat.
    That the average fan has trouble kicking a ball straight, let alone scoring a goal!
    How my gender is brought into question if I dare to say I’m not a football fan.

Actually it’s probably just Football Fans I don’t like 😐

holst
    Free Member

Why horse dancing is a sport, and monkey tennis isn’t?

If monkey tennis was a sport, all the native kids from the villages would win. If you make owning a pony the entry requirement, you keep all the riff-raff out.

funkmasterp

That bit halfway through and at the end of televised sports where a bunch of people discuss what just happened. Is it for people who didn’t actually watch the sport bit? Can’t be for the rest of us as we know what happened, we just watched it.

Football, because of the whole rabid fan thing. People asking who you support, because clearly everyone watches it. 🙄 I also hate it when a player rolls around on the floor, crying because another player brushed passed them. Get up you soft git.

Golf, just why?

Harry_the_Spider

Football and the money that it attracts.

rOcKeTdOg

Why mountain bikers call their pastime “our sport” all the time when it’s a hobby & their bike spends more time in the shed than being ridden

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Folk who claim to be rugby fans as they think it makes them appear more intelligent.

anagallis_arvensis

Whyvare the olympic bmxers not wearing skinsuits?

anagallis_arvensis

folk who claim to be rugby fans as they think it makes them appear more intelligent.

Have you visited the rugby thread? All dumb shits in there!!

Pigface
    Free Member

Watch some NRL. It will be an education

In what? seeing huge people (steroids) instead of tackling just putting a forearm into someone’s head? over and over again.

I aspire to dumb shit 😆 currently ranked as retarded

mogrim

Watching it.

I just don’t get it, taking part yes, watching, no.

This, basically. And the endless Monday morning post-match analysis at work is even worse.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Why one team member in Volleyball wears a different coloured kit ?

How different height diving boards means different medals … the competitors all still doing the same spins and flips ??

Handball …. how has that made it from youth club to the Olympics ?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘Things in sports you don't understand’ is closed to new replies.