Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Things clients blithely say to graphic designers
  • brakes
    Free Member

Do a few weeks working with a shovel and you might gain a sense of perspective

can you send me a purchase order number and I'll invoice you the £30k

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Their idea of a solution was to do a spiffing looking design in Adobe something-or-other then paste the graphic as the backgrond in a Powerpoint template

I've been given a promo CD for a design company and expected something clever as then packaging and CD are nicely turned out. The Cd actually contains a powerpoint that is made up of what appear to be scanned pages from a brochure.
    It was difficult to read the scanned text and not everyone has Powerpoint.
    I was suprised they would do this in their own marketing.

br
    Free Member

+1 molgrips

My experiences, only over the last 25 years though…

Or a few years ago sat with the Communications department in a project meeting. After they managed to not actually do anything in the last week, I asked the question, "have they moved the (£12bn) acquisition date back?". "No, of course not", came the answer, "why do you ask?"…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

geoffj – Member
    Fred talks sense!

You knows it! 😀

Do a few weeks working with a shovel and you might gain a sense of perspective.

Ok; discover you have a talent for something, spend a few years at college/Uni developing that talent, work for shite money for far too **** long, then have to deal with philistines who don't respect or appreciate your abilities and the effort that you've put in so that you can do something they can't, and you might get a sense of perspective.

Get back down that hole. And don't come out again until you've learned what it takes just to get by in an incredibly competitive industry.

And the next time you pick up a packet of something, or are on the motorway looking for the sign for your turn off, or even browsing the internet, remember it's graphic designers who create all that visual language to make your life easier…

Pft.

Beer o'clock….

ahwiles
    Free Member

i love my job, that is all.

tron
    Free Member

Ok; discover you have a talent for something, spend a few years at college/Uni developing that talent, work for shite money for far too **** long, then have to deal with philistines who don't respect or appreciate your abilities and the effort that you've put in so that you can do something they can't, and you might get a sense of perspective.

😆

Or to put things another way: Get a job in your chosen vocation, then be paid good money to occasionally do things you think you're above, or for customers who you think are beneath you, then go online and bitch about it.

Hardly the end of the world, is it?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You finished that digging yet?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I'm just thinking of the iPad i can buy with the fee from this work…

Good idea, then you'll have something you can hate even more than Word.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It's no surprise to hear Elfin bitching about it though. And you know what, him and others like him here aren't even "proper" designers. They just played about in their bedrooms picking up a bit of this and a bit of that and then proclaimed they were designers now. Because tossing themselves off wasn't going to earn money to live in the real world.

Designer my arse Elfin. You wouldn't know Helvetica from my hairy tea-towel holder (though your "missus" does) 🙂

How are you getting on with your new "font"? Decided it wasn't worth the effort but that ripping off London Transport's (ie. a font someone actually spend hours labouring over, not just jigging about on an iMac for a day or two) would be easier?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😆

DD you really are a Hairy Pie of the highest order…

Nah, that was my pre-beer rantette. I am calm now.

I make no claims to be a 'proper designer'. I've had absolutely no training, but found a love for creating stuff on my little iMac, and really get a buzz from it. Occasionally I fool people into giving me money for doing stuff.

Just find it tiresome when someone who appears to have bugger all knowledge of design and what's required to be able to do it, makes sarky comments.

'Ooh, you should try digging holes, that's a proper manly man's job that is'.

Yeah, ok. I can only dream of such a profession; sadly, I lack the natural talent and skill for it… 🙄

My font? It's coming on. I'll show you when I've properly finished it. I'm quite pleased with it, and I'm learning all the time. Hopefully gonna go book shopping this weekend; Blue Palomino recommended a couple of good titles. Far more complex than I imagined actually. Really enjoying the whole process though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Far more complex than I imagined actually.

Somehow, I imagine you saying that a lot. LIke when someone says,"'Ere mate, stick the kettle on will ya?" or "Oi'll 'ave a point of Stella fella"

😆

Kevevs
    Free Member

So you get a call from TBWA who liked your CD of work (this was before I had interwebs), can we see your portfolio?. yes, yes indeed. So you go down and the place is full of really good looking types swanking around. you sit down with 3 of the good looking types and they look at your stuff, nice, nice, blah, etc. 2 days later you get a call, job for Natwest, bit of direct mail illustration work, cool, kerr-ching. so you do your thing and you send them some roughs. Then they say, yeah, but we only want this, and this, and, this… just like this (someone elses work), can you change this, and this, so it looks totally different to what we employed you for i.e my style of work, as evidenced in my portfolio. can you do it?. yes, course I can I need some cash, and it's lots. so I do it and I send them the hi-res artwork. I get the call from some guy, it's obviously been to some other eyes. Can you, you know, make it more "jazzy"?. What? WHHaat??

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Stella?

STELLA???

What d'you take me for, Binners or something???? 😯

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Can you, you know, make it more "jazzy"?. What? WHHaat??

Ha ha! Mmm, jaaaazzz….grreat!

I was in Finchley Road earlier. Standing (outside Natwest spookily enough) looking up and down the high street with all the shops. And it struck me just how much the job of the graphic designer has come on; all the different shops with their logs and corporate identities, window promotional graphics, vayns emblazoned with company logs, buses with ads all along the sides. Years ago, there would be far less colour, far less visual diversity.

Bit further on there were some fellers digging a hole in the road. They looked unconcerned by all the graphic designery stuff all round them. I think they were trying to get a cable into a narrow pipe, I'm not sure, there was a lot of swearing going on.

tron
    Free Member

Just find it tiresome when someone who appears to have bugger all knowledge of design and what's required to be able to do it, makes sarky comments.

Someone moaning about being paid to watch a client (ie, the person who is paying them) pick photos? It's asking to have the mickey taken. As a freelancer, it's a bloody good way of picking up 2 hours of billable time without expending any effort. My point was that there are far worse things that you could be doing to make a living, even if you do have several years study and experience under your belt. Or in other words, be glad for what you've got.

It's very interesting that you went so ape over something not even directed at you.

There's no virtue in being precious over your qualifications by the way. I'm pretty well qualified compared to the average, but if shovel work's all that's going, you won't see my pride getting in the way of me picking up a shovel.

fubar
    Free Member

Ok; discover you have a talent for something, spend a few years at college/Uni developing that talent, work for shite money for far too **** long, then have to deal with philistines who don't respect or appreciate your abilities and the effort that you've put in so that you can do something they can't,

Mmm – sounds like life in IT Development and probably a 101 other careers

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Enough of your bickering.

This thread is rather good too:

click here

CaptJon
    Free Member

tron, maybe it isn't about the money all the time.

_tom_
    Free Member

I know it's easy money sitting there waiting for a photo to be picked, but I'd rather be doing something where my brain was actually being used.

I do have some perspective, managed 2 days in a factory before quitting as I couldn't take standing there feeling my brain turning to mush. So I'm grateful for this, it's just frustrating.

Oh and annoying phrases that people use – "can we make this a bit more zappy?"

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

There's no virtue in being precious over your qualifications by the way. I'm pretty well qualified compared to the average, but if shovel work's all that's going, you won't see my pride getting in the way of me picking up a shovel.

I've cleaned toilets to earn money. Your point?

Someone moaning about being paid to watch a client (ie, the person who is paying them) pick photos?

Yes it's an inconsequential thing to you, but the discussion is about the things that frustrate designers. Yet you, obviously feeling left out and ignored, had to come on, make some sarky comment. Well you've got attention now. But you've upset me. 🙁

Kevevs
    Free Member

anyone else got any real world examples then? cos I've got **** loads!

Kevevs
    Free Member

it not "graphic design", but childrens book illustration…

"We like it, but can you take the hedgehogs out?"

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No actually I'm sorry I'm tired, hungry and crotchety, and to be honest, I've overreacted to Tron's comments. And caused an unnecessary argument.

So I apologise, Tron.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

"We like it, but can you take the hedgehogs out?"

Some **** would've got served for saying something like that to me….

I've done far too many drafts (for which I've been paid), expecting a nice little earner to come from my efforts, only to be told 'sorry, we've decided not to go with it after all.'

😥

Kevevs
    Free Member

good man. Not many apologise for their comfuddlement on here 🙂

M6TTF
    Free Member

So you get a call from TBWA who liked your CD of work (this was before I had interwebs),

how recent? Our creative director is ex TBWA… top bloke and bloody good at his job

Kevevs
    Free Member

ages ago, must've been about 2003ish? when there was a lot of illustration work used on natwest banks. lol! like I'm saying tbwa creatives aren't good at their jobs! apart from employing me!

M6TTF
    Free Member

Yeah, he would have been there then, did 10 years for his sins!

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Are you talking TBWA London or Manchester?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

TBWA = Disruption.

Disruption is a tool for change and an agent of growth: a working methodology and a life view philosophy.

The word is difficult, uncomfortable but "Disruption" is not destructive. It is creation. Disruption is a means of creating something dynamic to replace something that has become static.

Disruption is the art of asking better questions, challenging conventional wisdom and overturning assumptions and prejudices that get in the way of imagining new possibilities and visionary ideasblah blah blah blah bullshit waffle ****.

What a packet of shit. Sorry, but that's just a load of pretentious guff. No wonder creative media types get a bad name. And their website's shit.

That makes me want to go to a trendy bar in Hoxton, walk up to a Nathan Barley type, smack him in the mouth and take his iPad.

But then maybe that's just me.

CountZero

anotherdeadhero – Member
    Worse still, I am the dragon that is a sub-editor. I think I need to breathe more fire, becuase because I don't seem able to put people off their assorted fuckwittery.

There you go, edited that for you.

CaptJon
    Free Member

We should start a support group.

That makes me want to go to a trendy bar in Hoxton, walk up to a Nathan Barley type, smack him in the mouth and take his iPad.

Still available on 4OD i believe.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No don't get me wrong; I love design, and I admire those who are good at it. But there's an awful lot of wankery going on under the name of 'graphic design'. Re-hashing a Kandinsky or Michael English poster does not make it great design. Just means you lack ideas of your own. It's not an 'homage', it's plagiarism.

And then you get agencies using words like 'symbiosis' and 'organic'. It's doing pictures not a **** nature documentary on BBC2 with David **** Attenburra! ****s!

I suppose it's incredibly subjective though. But to me, it's a shame that design seems to have gone the way of pop music and art, reduced to the creative equivalent of Pot Noodles and reconstituted meat products.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Well I was referring to manc

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Have to agree with Effin – anyone seen the recent Design Week awards – best in show was an annual report that could have ( and probably has been) designed 100s of times in the last 15 years – nothing new, same old same old typeography, obvious photography, unimaginative layout. And it got 'Best in Show'. Utter rubbish.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

But there's an awful lot of wankery going on under the name of 'graphic design'

And wouldn't you know 😀

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Well I was referring to manc

I work there now

M6TTF
    Free Member

Hope it's going well for you then 🙂

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Things clients blithely say to graphic designers’ is closed to new replies.