Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Thin MTB tires
  • chrispduck74
    Free Member

Several years ago before catastrophic knee failure put a temporary halt to my biking, I used to ride on Continental Cross Country 26 x 1.5 tires.

I have searched Wiggle, Evans and numerous other online purveyors of bike goodies but cannot find them or anything of similar width; so I was wondering if in the elapsed time since I last owned and rode a bike, thin tires have become obsolete?

If they have, is there anyone out there who has ridden on Schwalbe CX Pro 26 x 1.35 and/or would share their thoughts/experiences on riding on such a thin tire (that seems to be primarily for Cyclocross)??

Better still if anyone out there has a hidden stash of the old Conti’s and fancies selling me some that would be awesome 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

life moves on!!

Have a look in your LBS and see how modern tyres look on the shop bikes. Is there any reason you want to go back to what you had?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I have some of those in 26×2.0 they come up vey small and are used on an old rigid Gary Fisher. I use it firriding with the kids and pottering around on. The tires are good on dry hard packed surfaces. Never used in the wet or in loose. I like thrn!

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Curse of the i-thingy strikes again.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I used to use Conti 1.5’s for racing on muddy courses, they pick up less mud and give you better frame clearance. They’d probably be ideal for MM this year (if a little scary on the rooty bits).

ampthill

I think the assumption is that frame clearances went up a bit over the years and 1.8 or 2.0 inch tyres are more all round.

pedlad

I’ve dug out my 1.5 conti from the last really muddy mayhem. 97 I think. Hope it hasn’t perished. Now got a 1.7 Geax thing for the back too. Hopefully they will keep me moving with minimum walking required. I am quite scared about the roots though having been on 2.2 + tyres all year!

pedlad

2007 I meant

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Thin MTB tires’ is closed to new replies.