• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Wally.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Thin merino top recommendations
  • sandwicheater

With me commuting more a merino top would be handy.

Any cheap (does cheap and merino go together) options available that you can recommend? Don’t mind paying a bit more if will last for years.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Endura baa baa I love mine.

binners

Howies aren’t cheap but they really do last for ever.

On One have got some good deals on. Its great stuff for the money. The sizing comes up small though. I’d go for a size bigger than you would usually

Edit: Arse! I’ve just had to buy a merino hoody now.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bugcab
    Free Member

Icebreaker 200 not cheap but mine going strong after years.

speed12
    Free Member

Rab MeCo.

Blend of Merino and Cocona (or thirtysevenfive as it is now called…) – absolutely ruddy brilliant; much better than just pure merino IMO. And generally cheaper too. Just as comfortable, warm, haul sweat off you, very fast drying.

Rab MeCo

verses

I bought this recently;

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CLOOMPBHL/on-one-merino-perform-baselayer-high-neck-long-sleeve-150g

Only worn a couple of times but I’m pleased with it so far.

Only minor gripe is that I’d have preferred it to be slightly more close fitting but you can’t tell these things over the internet… I’m reasonably scrawny though so it’s probably fine for most.

MoreCashThanDash

In all seriousness, if you want warmth then get some basic Decathlon synthetic ski base layers, if you just want a wicking base layer, the bamboo t-shirts from Aldi.

£5 each for either, a weeks commuting for £25.

MoreCashThanDash

Though I’m quite taken by the look of that Rab MeCo stuff

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Aldi merino base layer is great for the money – worth looking out for. 17 quid I think it was. Goes through the wash and doesn’t change texture and shape beyond all recognition, the way merino from the likes of On-One does.

speed12
    Free Member

That’s the other advantage of the MeCo stuff – it is much easier to care for than pure Merino as you can just stuff it in with the rest of your cycling kit or normal clothes and wash as normal.

The Cocona bit is great for stopping pongs as well. I went trekking in South America for 2 weeks and basically just used 2 MeCo tops and at the end of the two weeks they didn’t smell much less fresh than they did when I started.

(I don’t work for Rab or anything, just generally really impressed with MeCo – one of the only technical fabrics I have found that works exactly as it is advertised to)

annebr
    Free Member

I’ve a couple of nice merino baselayers from Decathlon. Not expensive at all.

verses

Aldi merino base layer is great for the money – worth looking out for. 17 quid I think it was. Goes through the wash and doesn’t change texture and shape beyond all recognition, the way merino from the likes of On-One does.

Funny, I’ve found the opposite.

I’ve only had the recent On-One Merino top mentioned above, so not sure if they’ve improved, but (touch wood) it’s been fine.

Whereas the Merino top I got from Aldi/Lidl (a couple of years ago) is itchy, mishapen and has been dumped at the bottom of the wardrobe to never be worn again.

I don’t just get the el-cheapo ones though, but they’re perfect for bombing about on the bike in. I’m really pleased with my Howies ones, they’re several years old and still going strong, but the prices make my eyes water…

sandwicheater

I ideally want something I can ride in for a few days without it upsetting my nose. Have been burned by on-one in the past with shrinking tops*

Like the Rab offering and thin too which is a bonus.

*this may have been entirely my fault in confusing 60c for 60 minutes 😳

binners

If you’ve got a Trespass shop in the vicinity, they do cheap merino base layers too, which are pretty good

bikebouy
    Free Member

Have you tried M&S..

Ok, stop laughing.

Seriously they have a good section of thermals and merino at very good quality and prices, I think they are a long lost secret but it’s good stuff I tell Yas.

Could be worth a look even if you diss it.

DougD

Mountain warehouse have a decent one in at the mo, Mountain warehouse merino top, only £20 and has survived a load of washes well.

irc

I’ve a couple of nice merino baselayers from Decathlon. Not expensive at all.

Me too. £13 each or so on sale. Go through normal wash in the machine no bother.

GolfChick
    Free Member

i’ve got a nice thinner smartwool that is good for slightly warmer days, when its colder I have a baabaa as well.

nickc

Another vote for the Endura Baa Baa stuff, got a long and short sleeve version, both are comfy, don’t pong, and can be washed a 40degs along with everything else

DavidB
    Free Member

Torm sportswool stuff is ace nice small British company staffed by top blokes

nickc

Yep, absolutely agree about torm, the cycling jersey from them (t2?)I’ve got is by far my fav jersey.

duntstick
    Free Member

I’ve been paying 8 euros in decathlon sales, really good.

Wally

4th to recommend decathlon.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Thin merino top recommendations’ is closed to new replies.