Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • thigh haematoma (a big bruise to you guys!)
  • JimSu
    Free Member

Have any of you ever had any active treatment for a thigh haematoma such as aspration? A fall on Sunday has resulted in a deep internal bruise with obvious swelling of the outer thigh and very restricted movement.

Frustrating but I can only think the treatment can be time, resting until it is possible to start stretching and re training.

Ant thoughts?

philconsequence
    Free Member

tried the whole hot to cold thing? most people suggest ice-packs or bags of frozen peas but i think to make sure its extra effective you should be flying from a hot country to a cold country… saves money on peas.

hopster
    Free Member

Rest, ice, compression and elevation. I had one on my shin and it really hurt. Took about 5 days for the pain to go away.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I bruise like a peach and have had many a haematoma.
    Unfortunately there is very little you can do bar the standard RICE treatment.

Somethings not to do….

Rub Ibuprofen cream on to it.
    Go on a heavy all day drinking session.
    Attempt home lancing.

scaredypants

just to clarify

Attempt home lancing, without live video recording

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Had one of those, took about 2 months to fully subside and then I did it again, could have cried it hurt that much. Still suffering (with running, biking OK) 9 months later.

1st time

Then just nicely healed then

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Okay so if you do fancy home lancing and videoing it… I have an Avid Bleed Kit that’s only been used once you can have.

bigyinn
    Free Member

😯 😯 😯

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Where is the tummy shot bloke?

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Went to the hospital with the 1st one, Doc had a probe around with a syringe the size of a slash cut drinking straw. Nothing came out even though it felt like a big bag full of liquid under my skin. Wobbled like a jelly for about 6 weeks then slowly subsided. the whole area that was brused felt numb/tingly for about 6 months, still feels stange nearly a year on.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Here’s something you can do if you have bruising like smuzzy…

Whilst using the Compression part of RICE, strap common household objects directly to the bruised area and you can create some cool designs within the bruise…

StirlingCrispin

Get yourself to a doctor / hospital to get it checked.
    I suffered a thigh haematoma a couple of years ago and spent a week in hospital being monitored for compartment syndrome.

They may well want to ultrasound to determine the size of the blood pool (in excess of 300ml in my case!) and to check for compartment syndrome etc. (Greg Minaar had 500ml of blood in his thigh and surgery )

Recovery took months as I completely lost knee flexion.
    DO NOT massage it. A physio may be able to break up the clot with ultrasound.
    I used a floor-mounted mini exercise bike to get some knee flex and then put 100mm kiddie cranks onto my bike.

ryan_c

I to have had a high haematoma about seven years ago,theres still a small lump ad the skin is slighty anaesthetised but is fine.
    At the time my hippy wannabe mum made me put Arnica on it, i don’t trust believe in the effectiveness of it but the placebo affect may work for you!

Shandy
    Free Member

I had problems with them in my thighs when I was playing rugby. For milder ones I think gentle exercise and a bit of a rub helped to break things up, alongside the RICE. For the deeper ones you need to be more careful and see s physio for some ultrasound.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Had a large one on my thigh a few years ago after a large dropoff went very wrong, went to hospital just to make sure nothing was broken. Bruise lasted a few weeks and ended up down around my ankle!

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Feel free to label me as a bearded weirdy but Arnica the homeopathic remedy is amazing for bruising. Most big chemists (boots etc) sell it either in tablet form or better still as a cream.

I take a pretty scientific approach to most things but I was prescribed Arnica buy my doctor, taking the approach that their is nothing regular medicine can offer for bruising and it can’t do any harm. Have been using it for years now. Being a clumsy f*ck I have a wealth of experience.

Sits back and waits for crusifying to take place.

mimi123
    Free Member

I used arnica cream recently on a whopper of a black huge bruise on my thigh and calf was agony and still lumpy 3 weeks on. I use arnica on kids all the time if they have a bump – hypercal for cuts is just as good too. arnica will sting broken ski.

hopster
    Free Member

Here is my hip after I broke my hip.

Thigh after hip op by hopster007, on Flickr

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘thigh haematoma (a big bruise to you guys!)’ is closed to new replies.