Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Thicker tyres, better than snakeskin?
  • james
    Free Member

Keep pinching/puncturing schwalbe snakeskin walled tyres setup tubeless with stans, which won’t seal it
    They always go in the treaded area which I believe is not snakeskin lined. Have had it 4 times now on snakeskins. Admittedly in really quite rocky bits going with more lick than finesse

Looking up the Schwalbe range the next up is Super Gravity, but not cheap and an extra 300g or so. Nearly as heavy as Double Defense’s

How do other reinforced (but not too heavy) tyres fair? Are they reinforced right over the top?

Specialized Grid?
    What else?

rickon
    Free Member

You’re not gonna get tougher sidewalls without adding weight.

Snakeskin, Exo etc… All are much of a muchness.

Sounds like you’d benefit from Super Gravity for sure.

scaled
    Free Member

What tyres?

Snakeskin racing raplhs wont be up to much in a rock garden. Other than that if you’re snakebiting the tyres then you sound like you need more pressure before you make a mess of your rims.

I’m assuming you’re running the snakeskin evos as well.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

You’re not gonna get tougher sidewalls without adding weight.

sounds like every woman I’ve ever known

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Go Maxxis…

I ride the EXO’s hard but they stand up very well

Specialized Grid?

Heard someone be less than complimentary about those 😉 He was running the gravity ones instead.

chakaping
    Free Member

Snakeskin, Exo, Grid all susceptible to holes in among the tread in my experience.

I compromise with a Supergravity (or WTB “tough” casing) tyre on the rear and a Snakeskin or Exo on the front.

momo

I have supergravity schwalbes front and rear on my full suss, put them on for an uplift day and ended up leaving them on, as the confidence they inspired was well worth the little bit of added weight.

Interestingly, I’ve had 3 Hans Dampfs now and they’ve all weighed less than the claimed weight on the box, by about 50g iirc.

llatsni
    Free Member

I’m running a Double Defence Ralph out back and a DD Nic up front on the 29er hardtail because I was killing tyres on rocky trails. I destroyed two Onza Canis and an Ikon EXO.

The Double Defense are not nearly as harsh as I expected and add less than 100g per tyre over the Snakeskin Evo version… and seem bulletproof so far.

A little weight saving is pointless if you can’t finish a spin or a race. DD seem like a nice sweet spot for me: light(ish) and tough.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I specifically advise people away from snakeskins for trips here. The record for punctures in a day was on a pair of snakeskin. Poor guy! I find the EXO better. I often run a supergravity at the back and something lighter at the front because I never pinch the front. I really like the Mavic Charge up front, it´s a great balance of grip and durability. The Schwalbe Magic Mary has the best grip but it wears out in a week on our Backcountry trips. On the back, the Mavic Quest XL has held up pretty well for me. Also the Trail Boss by WTB has done good, no punctures but the sidewalls have started to go after a few weeks. The Schwalbe rockrazr is good but it has to, has to, has to be in Supergravity.

All tubeless.

There´s a weight penalty but I think light tyres are a false economy if you´re lucky enough to have good riding nearby.

james
    Free Member

“What tyres?”
    Front – Albert (S/S) 2.25″ Dual Compound
    Rear – Rocket Ron 2.35″ SS Pacestar
    Rear – RR ^^^ again
    Rear – Hans Damph 2.35″ SS Pacestar

Doesn’t count but tens of holes in Specialized Storm 2″ S-works …

A SS HD is around 760g I think, as heavy a tyre as I’ve ever (DH bike aside and apart from stuff I’ve popped on to kill for the alps) used, the RR is lighter
    Going super Gravity makes a HD the wrong side of a kilo. plus about 300g. DD another 100g again

What makes it more annoying is brother on his DH bike uses SS (not SG or DD) 2.4 Bettys and now Marys in SS, doesn’t puncture (including antur uplift) and rides a bit faster than me ..
    Though he is running tubes

smatkins1
    Free Member

Even the super gravity ones aren’t that thick under the tread, but they do offer more in the sidewalls.

The grid casing on Specialized tyres is good for puncture protection, but again there’s the weight penalty.

mattyfez

Pressures /rider weight?

How do you pinch flat tubless? Im guessing pressure is too low if you’re pinching through the tyre carcass.

Low pressure for me is high pressure for my mate who’s probably only a stone or so lighter than me.

scaled
    Free Member

Having just managed some pretty rocky stuff in the snow with next to no pressure in my rear tyre I would suggest procore (and a couple of pints)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Thicker tyres, better than snakeskin?’ is closed to new replies.