Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Thick Thin Chainrings – Don't believe the hype
  • cultsdave
    Free Member

After reading all the wonderful reviews on the Thick Thin Chainrings I went out and boutght one.
    Set up is as follows
    34t on an SLX crank with bash guard and roller chain device on the bottom. The bike is a Prophet. I do not have a clutch mech but going by some reviews it sounded as though this was not nessesary! Anyway 1st downhill 1st corner and chain comes off.
    My friend who has a similar set up with out the bashguard and with a clutch mech has his chain come of 2 or 3 times on yesterdays ride.
    My conclusion is that they help keep the chain on but are not nearly as reliable as I was made to think having read peoples reviews on here. Might be fine if you ride trail centre smooth trails all the time but not good on the bumpy stuff! I will be fitting a chain guide soon negating the point in the thick thin chain ring!

chrisdw
    Free Member

Mine is great. Running with a top only guide.
    Tho’ I do have a clutch mech.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I thought you needed a clutch mech for them to work properly.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Forgot to mention that my friend with the similar set up has a clutch mech.

greeble
    Free Member

clutch mech and no guide or bash guard up front… zero problems

stevied
    Free Member

Right chain length?

cultsdave
    Free Member

Aye chain length is spot on.

jam-bo

no guide, 34t raceface thick-thin, short-cage clutch mech, 11-36 cassette, chain as short as it can be on a five.

First ride saturday and threw it down everything rocky, rooty and nasty I could find and it didnt miss a beat. even seem to cope ok with backpeddalling which derails a lot of chain devices.

i’m sold and will be putting one on my hardtail next.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Run mine (works chainring) on a 130mm susser, first with normal mech now with a clutch mech and no guide, i’ve not lost a chain yet. I live and ride in The Lakes and the trails are not smooth. At all.

I previously ran a normal mech, normal ring and top guide and I lost the chain occasionally, usually off the bottom when I back pedalled for whatever reason.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Clutch mech, thick / thin ring and a top guide only and it’s totally solid for me, at reasonable speed on bumpy terrain (Aberdeenshire). I’m not convinced it’d stay on without the top guide but that only weighs 60g. You certainly don’t need a bash or lower roller.

peterfile
    Free Member

Might be fine if you ride trail centre smooth trails all the time but not good on the bumpy stuff!

Does the WC DH track at Nevis Range count as a trail centre? Yet to drop a chain there with Works Components chainring + Zee clutch mech. (I’m pretty slow mind you.)

Maybe you should try a clutch mech?

If you’re Scotland based I’d be happy for you to try my mech.

AndyRT
    Free Member

No guide, no clutch, no rear suspension and not slipped off once.

Fat bikes rule

walleater

30t RaceFace NW ring, XT clutch derailleur. Plenty of BC North Shore rides (i.e. not smooth trails…..) and no dropped chain.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Annoyingly I do think I need a clutch mech or a top guide. (ordered one but it didn’t fit) I am running 9sp atm so thats an expensive upgrade. It was after reading reviews on here that made me think it would work without the clutch. Doesn’t explain why my mates came off as he is running a clutch.
    Robinlaidlaw – it was crack cleaner up scolty where it first came off!

jonnyrockymountain

32t one here with zee clutch mech no guides, no problem what so ever, brilliant!

Northwind

cultsdave – Member

Might be fine if you ride trail centre smooth trails all the time but not good on the bumpy stuff!

Works components chainring, XT clutch mech, no chain device, hardtail, fort william dh, no chain drops, any questions? 😉

What 9-speed are you using? You can adapt Shimano 10-speed mechs to work with 9-speed SRAM quite easily (my hardtail is proper 10-speed but my other bikes are all what I think of as 9 1/2 speed.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Robinlaidlaw – it was crack cleaner up scolty where it first came off

I guessed you were local from the user name. That’s exactly the stuff I ride and mines been fine on the 5Spot. I was out last night and did MDK and one from the tower, the trails are back to being dry and fast again and there was no hint of problems or chain drop.
    I reckon just the top guide would sort it for you, I’m using an E13 XCX and it doesn’t rub or make any noise and it’s very light so it’s staying on.

cultsdave
    Free Member

I am running all shimano xt 9sp stuff.

scruff
    Free Member

walleater – Member
    30t RaceFace NW ring, XT clutch derailleur. Plenty of BC North Shore rides (i.e. not smooth trails…..) and no dropped chain.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

3×9 here and no thick-thin chainrings either. No chain-droppage EVER! 😀

(or have I missed the point of this thread 😉 )

Northwind

Ah, not so easy then, sorry!

FWIW I’ve run mine with the clutch switched off (due to being an idiot) and it did stay on fine- better than with an old-school single ring and chain device, which was alright but I never found it totally satisfactory.

Yetiman
    Free Member

30t Wolf Tooth ring, no guide, XT clutch mech. I’ve been running this set up for 7 weeks and approx. 260 miles and the chain has come off just once, on a DH track, after I forgot to switch on the clutch after taking the rear wheel out to check my brake pads. I guess the clutch is a significant help. The rest of the time my chain has stayed perfectly in place on the rougher trails I ride, including Crack Cleaner, and the rock step descents on Bennachie.

How old are your chains? If they are pretty worn it’ll be harder for the narrow/wide chain ring to grip, which may be a contributing factor.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

If you’re running without chain retention (whihc is sort of the whole point) then you do need a clutch mech. SRAM xx1 is a clutch mech, I don’t know where you got the impression a clutch mech was not required. I don’t think it explicitely says on the Wolftooth or the Works websites.

Clutch mech for me with wolftooth and no issues. Last ride my mates bike with chain retetion and clutch mech but no thick/thin chainring dropped his chain on the same downhill I was on.

patriotpro
    Free Member

No guide, no clutch, no rear suspension and not slipped off once.

Fat bikes skinny/fats rule

rOcKeTdOg

No guide here just RaceFace rung and clutch mech, deliberately tried to ride in stuff that has derailed chain before, chain has stayed on for around 300 miles so far

patriotpro
    Free Member

3×9 here and no thick-thin chainrings either. No chain-droppage EVER!

I ran 2×9 with a bash and dropped the chain extremely rarely, certainly no more than 3 times in 3 years.

It’s the silence of the clutch and skinny/fat that takes it to the next level of ride-quality tho, plus the chains going nowhere.

superfli
    Free Member

Have used mine for a few rides now and its been faultless. Clutch was off last week in Afan as muck caused cable friction and it was still fine – final part of w2 , so graveyard, bike park, the new bit and zigzags. Believe the hype:-)

Cotic soul, 1×10, 32t Raceface now, six clutch

timbo678
    Free Member

Think this post needs a new title…

32t race face with clutch mech…took a link out the chain when changed from 3*10…6ft plus drops loads of braking bumps…not even a snifter of a chain slip!

walleater

If I was a Man Scruff, I’d be using a bigger chain ring 😀

Mackem

Just to join in – Wolftooth 30t with Zee mech. No drops in 4 months of riding.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Think this post needs a new title…

32t race face with clutch mech…took a link out the chain when changed from 3*10…6ft plus drops loads of braking bumps…not even a snifter of a chain slip!

That’s too long a title 😉

whatnobeer
    Free Member

If you’re running without chain retention (whihc is sort of the whole point) then you do need a clutch mech. SRAM xx1 is a clutch mech, I don’t know where you got the impression a clutch mech was not required.

Pinkbike did what looked like a fairly extensive test with and without a clutch mech and decided that it worked just as well without as with. YMMV.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Pinkbike did what looked like a fairly extensive test with and without a clutch mech and decided that it worked just as well without as with. YMMV.

Hence why I thought it was a good idea

patriotpro
    Free Member

Pinkbike did what looked like a fairly extensive test with and without a clutch mech and decided that it worked just as well without as with.

Link?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

raceface narrow/wide , xtr/xt/slx clutch mech and no dropped chain in well over 2 months use, 3 times a week/weekend on everything the peak district has to offer (hope/edale/jacobs ladder/ tonnes of white peak stuff thats just as bad/rocky) even cannock etc with all its braking bumbs 😉 and not a single one chain dropped, the routes we do have tonnes of rocky descents, and ive put ALOT of miles on the chainring in 2 months

genuinely dont know where else other than full on DH tracks i could try and derail it! if its not coming off in the peaks then it aint coming off anywhere

the clutch mech will defo have an effect though so thats probably why yours has failed so epically!

crankrider
    Free Member

Works Components ring with clutch on fs bike only lost chain once and that’s when the clutch was left off and it was a mega rooty section I was going through!

Check your setup out, old chain? Poor mech tension? Sounds like something is amiss though Works don’t state they will keep the chain on in all circumstances and if I was racing I would still run a top guide….

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Wolftooth, Zee clutch mech. Not dropped yet. Heading out to the Sierra Nevada’s soon with it 🙂

Chisel
    Free Member

Hate to ask an obvious question but is it a 10 speed chain?

cultsdave
    Free Member

No its a 9 speed chain. Why would that make any difference? There internal sizes are the same.

rOcKeTdOg

still, my wide/narrow experience has been in perfect conditions, dry, dusty summer, the jury’s still out on whether NWAlps muck will make a difference

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Thick Thin Chainrings – Don't believe the hype’ is closed to new replies.