Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Thick thin chain ring without clutch mech
  • graeme87
    Free Member

Is anyone running a thick thin chain ring with no chain device or clutch mech and having no problems with loosing a chain? I’m just wondering if I can get rid of my chain device on a budget?

stevied
    Free Member

One of my riding mates runs a RaceFace N/W with SRAM X0 9 speed (no chain device). Only dropped the chain a couple of times on really rough stuff. If you’re not doing anything too tangy you should be ok.

davosaurusrex

They don’t work particularly well even with a clutch mech over rough ground in my experience, I’ve just installed a top guide

graeme87
    Free Member

cheers for the input guys.

stevied
    Free Member

They don’t work particularly well even with a clutch mech over rough ground in my experience

Is it tensioned enough/chain length ok? Mine’s not dropped once in 8 months riding including Antur Stiniog, Coed-Y and a few FoD uplifts.

BoardinBob

Yes, on my hardtail. 30t RF NW and a 9 speed SLX shadow mech. Never lost the chain

cliffyc
    Free Member

Seems ok on my set-up,on an XTR normal mech,new chain and standard chainring. I don’t shift under load,it has been fine to date,using static front mech as a keeper but will take it off now as not shipping the chain. I believe it depends how much travel/chain growth you have.

Mugboo

My clutch mech went wrong on a ride, resulting in a droopy chain, Hope retainer ring up front and it didn’t drop the chain.

tubthumped
    Free Member

My other half is running a Goldtec TT front ring with standard SLX rear mech on her hardtail. Not dropped a chain yet and it’s had some pretty tough bouncing around…

mrbelowski
    Free Member

I’m running a NW ring with a non-clutch X5 mech on my Fatty and it’s not dropped the chain once

graeme87
    Free Member

think i will give it a bash. cheers

cookeaa

34T Vectoix Chainring with 11-32 9 speed using an SLX M662 Medium cage mech here, Chain retention is pretty good (Not perfect) on my HT…

I have shortened the chain as much as possible, in the two months since I fitted it I’ve dropped the chain twice so its an occasional annoyance rather than a constant issue, the main issue is really as short a chain and as much tension as is practicable without that clutch to arrest the bounce I think, interestingly I think in both instances where the chain had come off I’d shifted down to the smallest sprocket, so chain tension was at a minimum…

The range of gears suits my local riding, but if I head to bigger hills I’ll admit I’m struggling a bit without a Granny ring, so I’m in the process of assembling a cheap 1×10 setup with the £20 M615 mech Merlin were flogging last week and a wider range cassette, otherwise I would be happy to carry on using this set up for a fair while…

cultsdave
    Free Member

I ran one without a Clutch mech and it fell off regularly. I think it would be ok on a Hardtail but on a full sus due to chain growth etc it is more likely to fall off.

bluebird
    Free Member

They don’t work particularly well even with a clutch mech over rough ground in my experience, I’ve just installed a top guide

I also think their performance varies depending on different terrain / different suspension designs. I dropped my chain three times at Llandegla this weekend. Last weekend riding around Porlock, where the riding was far rougher I didn’t drop it once.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve run mine with a 2013(?) SLX non-clutch and no guide. Zero problems. I think you need to get your chainline bangon and chain length right but then again you’d do this anyway as you wouldn’t want premature wear.

I ride prob 90% rocky. Single pivot Orange if it helps.

Northwind

It’s the ring that does the heavy lifting, I’ve forgotten to engage the clutch and it still does the job pretty well (but clutch and no thick/thin is just a disaster, doesn’t work at all)

Yet to try it on a full suss and I can see how that could cause problems but it’s been like voodoo on my hardtail.

cookeaa

No device here I did consider it but its actually not a huge bother to re-mount the chain when it comes off and its been handy for cleaning and maintenance too, pulling the chain off to clean it and scrub in/around the chainset is pretty easy now, its not until you remove the front mech that you realise just how much crap it accrued.

Interesting to hear peoples experiences with clutchless mechs and TT on FS bikes. When the 9 speed bits eventually come off my HT I was considering getting another TT ring and fitting the 9 speed set up it to my DH bike (Currently using 8 speed and Road bike mech/cassette), so I can ditch the chaindevice or replace it with a top only job, maybe, if the lack of a clutch is really a bigger problem on an FS than a HT bike then I’ll maybe reconsider this plan.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Thick thin chain ring without clutch mech’ is closed to new replies.