Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • They've taken away the coffee!!
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

Due to cost cutting measures our nice bean to cup coffee machine is to only to be used for visitors now!

I am going to have to drink…. instant 🙁

Whats a good instant coffee then? That Starbucks stuff any good?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Staff not valued enough to drink nice coffee then? But visitors are? That's nice and reassuring, isn't it?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Can you not just buy your own beans and filters for the machine? Or suggest that everyone chips in for the supplies?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Coming soon to our office also, I usually just get whatever FairTrade one is on offer at the time.

soma_rich
    Free Member

no they are not even turning it on in the morning and it makes a hell of a noise when it on so everyone will know.

Might buy a little filter thingy for my desk.

Most un-impressed!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh the humanity!
    😉

wwaswas

surely it's time the workers took over the means of production?

enfht
    Free Member

STRIKE ! 😡

thomthumb
    Free Member

Whats a good instant coffee then?

does not compute.

buy a cafetierre and a nice ground coffee.

P.S. The french would not stand for this.

trail_rat
    Free Member

our office uses those sachet machines …. vileness – only rivaled by bovril and instant

i just keep a caffietere in my drawer and a bag of grounds !

molgrips
    Free Member

The Starbucks stuff is good. All other instant is brewed and then freeze dried. Starbucks Via is ground beans that are processed in some way to remove the insoluble bits, so that it'll mostly dissolve like instant.

It tastes just like filter coffee.

grumm
    Free Member

douwe egberts is the only decent instant coffee I've tried – pretty good actually and normally hate instant

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Move to Cup-A-Soups instead.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

smartcafe mug?, real coffee, but as simple to make as instant

wwaswas

we use those mugs when camping – pretty easy to use.

they are insulated though so you're drink stays just the wrong side of bearably hot for hours if you use them indoors.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Sign the visitors' book every morning and fill your boots. Not literally.

Taking away your coffee machine. Pah – the French would burn horses in the streets for less.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

the French would burn horses in the streets for less lunch

There, I fixed it for you. 😉

soma_rich
    Free Member

B.A.Nana ordering one of those clever cups now 🙂 Now which beans to buy 🙂

soobalias
    Free Member

wow, that is bad.

Trekster

wifes work has cancelled the water bottle contract. Back to taking in own water

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I've had one of those smartcafe mugs for a few years now, given the choice at work is between Tetley floorsweepings and wood shavings, or Nescafe burn babies while flogging the slaves blend.

It has however, resulted in my average daily coffe consumption exceeding 10 litres.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Taking away your coffee machine. Pah – the French would burn horses in the streets for less.

I love the way on the continent people sit around in charming little cafes, or outside at little tables, sipping coffee from tiny cute little cups, chatting about life, all very sedate and tranquil, whereas we huddle round the back of the car-park, clutching a polystyrene beaker containing weak watery mud, which becomes ever more diluted by the pissing rain…

Well, I've watched a few French films and that, and that's what they seem to do anyway.

rkk01
    Free Member

Act all sleepy and lethargic when your boss is around.

Claim caffeine withdrawal symptoms and threaten a lawsuit that it was your employer that got you addicted in the first place by providing free proper coffee.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Flask of real coffee?

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Wee in his shoes mug

trail_rat
    Free Member

10 litres of coffee…. do you pee brown ?

Cougar

Can you buy your own pods for the existing machine, would that work?

I've worked in places before now where coffee was subsidised; you paid a quid a week into the kitty towards your caffeine intake. Maybe your lot might compromise on similar?

It really is petty though. In corporate terms, how much does it cost to run a coffee machine for your staff? Not as much as the upgrades on the MD's company car, I'll bet.

soobalias
    Free Member

good point cougar.

but what if your average bin man was drinking nice coffee subsidised by the tax payer?

EDIT: if you dont like the coffee situation, you could vote with your feet, get another job.

Kahurangi

This is obviously a decision from someone who has no basis in economics.

Show them that

Cost of running coffee machine for staff = X

Cost of staff time * time spent making own coffee = Y

as Y > X they'd better start making coffee…

Travis

B.A.Nana Those are great, sometimes I have to go onsite to work, so I always carry mine in my bag with some grounds. Just add water 🙂

soma_rich
    Free Member

JonT I might just send that equation to my boss 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Oh good grief, if the worst you have to worry about at work is the calibre of your coffee, you're doing well.
    They're under no obligation to provide anything more than water, which handily comes out of the tap.

Cougar

It's not a case of obligation though, is it. It's a case of making staff feel valued. I suspect that the resentment and drop in morale from this little exercise will cost them more money overall.

soulrider
    Free Member

I like good coffee – strong and black.
    and when I was shown one of these in a field whilst camping I was very sceptical.

but following the instructions correctly I was quite surprised at the enjoyable flavour – no bitterness detected either.

Lyons Coffee bags

no doubt I will be flamed for this… but before you do – go buy and try..
    its not the most awesome coffee but it is a more than acceptable substitute to instant

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There must be a reason why coffee bags haven't been part of normal life for the last 40 years, like tea bags have.

Antonyfw
    Free Member

I agree fully with cougar. As most know from experience having a good coffee when you get to work absolutly starts the day off well. They could give you a breakdown of exactly how much money the company will be saving and re-investing to make employees understand the move better. Otherwise it sounds like your managers have sat around a desk penny pinching to save a few quid. The buffet syndrome, pinch lots of little bits to make one big plate.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Because instant tea tastes rank whereas instant coffee is palatable to most.

That and coffee from a cafetierre/smartmug taste nowhere near as good as from a percolator/proper machine so its still not as nice as properly made coffee.

soobalias
    Free Member

congratulations JonT,

now my boss says the following……

staff are to make any hot drinks on their own time, the morning and afternoon (15min) tea break will be reinstated however it should be noted that due to standard working hours being 8hrs, the 15min break after lunch will not be 'paid' time.

nobody is allowed to drink at their desks due to the risks to the IT equipment

further complaints or arguements may result in the provision of a kettle and fridge being investigated.

bigyinn
    Free Member

In other words, the thin end of the wedge!

molgrips
    Free Member

Wow, your boss really knows how to increase productivity with good staff morale!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘They've taken away the coffee!!’ is closed to new replies.